Coopers Community

Home Brewer's pets

Beeblebrox

My little dog lets me know when my brew is kicking off' date=' she takes no notice when im mixing it up and making it but about 24-48 hours later she always tries to climb up to where the fv is sniffing it, I don't need an air lock with her around[img']whistling[/img]

You NEVER NEED air locks!!!

sorry john, I know, I was being sarcastic.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My little dog lets me know when my brew is kicking off' date=' she takes no notice when im mixing it up and making it but about 24-48 hours later she always tries to climb up to where the fv is sniffing it, I don't need an air lock with her around[img']whistling[/img]

You NEVER NEED air locks!!!

sorry john, I know, I was being sarcastic.

Airlocks are the lowest form of humour bandit

The wife and I got our first dog from the RSPCA, poor little fella first 3months had a terrible life. He been mistreated know he a big spoilt dog. He chow chow crossed with a Labrador. Our 2nd dog is toy poodle crossed with japanese spitz. Both good companions and like to get under my feet while im trying to bottle.

• 4 weeks later...

My two girls are both rescue dogs, one is a little foxy x daschund with heaps of attitude and energy and the other an australian shepherd who can probably be put in the category of not the sharpest tool but a very loving dog

both are my best mates and wouldnt swap them for anything

My two girls are both rescue dogs' date=' one is a little foxy x daschund with heaps of attitude and energy and the other an australian shepherd who can probably be put in the category of not the sharpest tool but a very loving dog

both are my best mates and wouldnt swap them for anything[/quote']

I used to have a foxy x with something bigger (I can't recall what and I don't think I was ever really sure). It was the best dog I have ever had; he was a little champion cool

G'day Guy's,

reading this thread through from the beginning it seems to me that a lot of home brewers have a similar attitude towards their pets as they do their beer .... we all enjoy mixing and matching various types and have an aversion to the commercial breeds.

I've got two bitzers and I love 'em. Both came "free to a good home", ones a Collie x and the other is a kelpie x.

I live 'in the sticks' and work on a ship. There is no greater pleasure than sitting on the verandah of an evening and watching the sunset with a large, cold, frothy homey while the two dogs try to outdo each other for your attention. It reminds me of my younger days when my kids were still kids.

Best Regards,

Curly.

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you may have picked up from my posts on other threads, I've been doing it a bit tough of late to say the least.

That said, yesterday was the birthday that The Hitch hikers Trilogy suggested may reveal the secret to life the universe and everything; no such luck I'm afraid (though as they say wisdom comes from facing adversity, so by now I must be pretty damn wise; though some may say just a smarty pants).

Anyway, to keep it on topic, Harry gave me the only and the best gift he could yesterday.

I took him down to a local free roam area that doubles as a sports oval, so this particular one is well fenced, and safe enough to let him have a run.

He met the other dogs, had a sniff and a tussle, and then for the first time on cue, he ran when I produced a liver treat as incentive - just showed it to him, didn't even give it to him.

When I say he ran, I mean he ran like he was back on the race track going for gold!

The bugger did about 3/4 of a lap of the oval in what must have been ten seconds or less!

Not only that, but when he'd finished his sprint burst, he came towards me and then made for the gate, letting me know that he understood the deal was; play with the other dogs, have a good run, then we go home for breakfast.

As stated a lot of other stuff in my life is crap at present, but seeing one's pet greyhound in full flight, and knowing they're doing it for the joy of the run, and to show their love, that's the best gift my dog could give me.

Naturally he got lots of cuddles, pats, and a lovely meal when we got home, and I didn't berate him too much when he wanted to get on the couch!

I don't know about what forms of affection other owners get from their dogs, other than licks, jumping up and leaning, but Harry's effort will take some beating in my book!

I think he's earned his own couch now.

• 1 month later...

I'm a cat person. Two and a half months ago when my wife and I moved into our new place we had a beautiful grey long-haired sleep on our front door mat from day one. Asking around the neighbourhood revealed that he was a stray that frequented the area. He's absolutely beautiful, the most docile and affectionate cat you could ever want - just purrs and purrs from every pat.

It gets pretty cold here in Canberra in winter and he was so hungry to start with, so we took him in, gave him some food and a place to sleep. I took him to the vet and checked out the microchip. Turns out his owner had left years ago so he's under my name now. His registered name was 'Shifty', coz he goes from place to place. I've taken in strays before years ago and there's nothing like the gratitude they give you. It's not their fault, there's too many irresponsible owners getting animals they can't look after or abandoning them when they're no longer convenient. Now he follows us wherever we go, just likes to curl up and sleep wherever we are.

I reckon he's had a hard life through no fault of his own, and the least we can do is to look after him. You just do what little you can I reckon. Looking around it's a pretty broken world and every little bit you can do to show a bit of love helps brighten it up.

I'm not a cat person per-say, but I agree with you.

There are far too many irresponsible animal owners - pets and otherwise.

Our Greyhound Harry is the most beautiful and gentle pet I have ever owned.

His only crime is being born a Greyhound and having a career as a racer prior to our adopting him through one of the Greyhound adoption programs.

In NSW alone, something like 20 000 - yes that's twenty thousand, Greyhounds are euthanized or inhumanely killed each year, some as they have reached the end of their racing career, some as they are not up to scratch to be a racer, and some simply because they are unwanted.

The pet industry, racing industry, and others are not as accountable as they should be, and irresponsible pet owners simply display the behaviour that has sadly become normalized in this megalomaniac society we live in.

It seem almost everything these days is made to be thrown out, made to break down, or expected to be disposed of when it is outdated by some new model (think mobile phones, TV's VCR/DVD etc).

Animals deserve at least as much dignity, respect and care as humans, and of course there are plenty of humans that deserve more dignity, respect and care than they receive too (refugees, those with physical or mental disability, victims of crime, etc).

So good on all of you that have "rescued pets" be it taking in a stray, getting your pet from a shelter, RSPCA or other rescue or adoption program etc.

For those of you who have pets from breeders or pet shops, just consider the number of animals out there that need a good home who should be first in line, ahead of that cute beagle, poodle, labrador or maltese in the pet shop window the next time you consider getting a pet.

Christmas and birthdays etc come each year, but pet ownership is a serious responsibility, and like parenthood should not be taken lightly.

As for me and Harry, well we're both working at being a bit more social, and with his help I lost 8kg and am in the best physical shape I've ever been in, and he's looking pretty good too!

• 3 weeks later...

We have

Male & female pit bull cross - 7 year old.

Female cat 14 years old. She thinks she is boss.

3 drakes & 7 ducks.

16 chickens & 2 roosters.

1 female goat - age unknown & mad as a meat ant and loves drinking Port.

Magpies that come back each year with their young for feed

Lorikeets and galahs come in for feed.

Butcher birds that are very friendly as well.

Tried to upload pics but keeps saying HTTP ERROR ?

• 8 months later...

Update on Harry, our Greyhound.

He achieved Greenhound status a bit less than a year ago, meaning he's permitted to be on a leash without a muzzle, provided he's wearing his "Greenhound" collar, which has his name & basic registration data on a tag.

He's also allowed to play with other dogs & roam free in designated free roam areas, again provided he's wearing his collar.

The most recent development, is that he's now in training to be a "Mind Dog"; as with the greenhound training, it's a 6 week at home training course, which then gets assessed (fortnightly assessment to monitor his progress over 6 weeks), then he'll get "In training status" as a Mind Dog, & will get a Mind Dog coat, I'll get a badge to wear, & he'll have the right to travel pretty much anywhere with me as an assistance dog.

After a year in training, there's a further assessment by a qualified assessor to make sure he's up to the standards, then he'll be a registered certified Mind Dog/assistance animal/therapist!

So obviously to us, Harry is much more than a pet, a retired racer, or a devourer of food, 60km/h couch potato & excrement machine!

I thought it was time to update info about our Harry, especially considering all the shocking news in the media recently about the abhorrent behaviour of some in the greyhound racing industry.

With all that in mind, I'm now a supporter of outlawing Greyhound Racing; Greyhounds have so much more to offer than being exploited so that some can take financial advantage, or gamble on them.

The punters just gamble with their money, but each time a greyhound races, it's literally running for its life.

Obviously I can't fix the problem, & don't have the resources (financial, time wise or emotional) to be a full on activist in this regard, but I think that greyhounds have a much better place in the world as beautiful, loving, affectionate pets, & assistant dogs, rather than a way for some to make cheaper quicker money than in other forms of racing.

I won't go into the stats, but most greyhounds don't make it to the track, the majority of those get euthanized (about 9 out of 10 don't make is as a racer), then the majority of the ex racers also face the same fate.

In that I have to say, Harry is unusual, not in that he's such a good loyal dog, friend, family member & assistant, but that he's a survivor, & was lucky enough to find a good home after his career.

The odds really were stacked against him, & he's an example of what a greyhound should be, whether a retired racer, a pedigree pet, or just an unwanted dog that's not a racer.

If you're considering getting a dog, seriously consider greyhounds; they sleep 20 hours a day, need minimal grooming, & barely make any noise or fuss.

Obviously not all dogs can be saved, but each one that does means one less that gets consumed by the corporate greed machine that is the racing industry.

I've actually got two of these.. you can see the blue one in the bottom left of the picture. This one was named Sunshine by her (I think) previous owner, the other one Ollie, and I haven't renamed them yet. They enjoy my beers too, in very small amounts about once a month. lol

10426214_10206455851543667_5309179091972635241_n.jpg?oh=89e9817b99cb74db35f4cbaa898bb414&oe=558088BF&__gda__=1435421376_d1ea07da49e627820625c0ab16478a7f

Cheers

Kelsey

I too have an Ollie, although she's a probably a bit more of a handful than yours, Kelsey. When she's not being ridiculously photogeneic or getting underfoot while I'm carrying litres of hot wort, she enjoys barking at the neighbours, licking cane toads and long walks on the beach we are lucky enough to live beside.

We've had her since she was a pup and while she's my best mate, she's also a constant source of anxiety as she doesn't get along with other dogs real well.

02RQgsD.jpg

I too have an Ollie' date=' although she's a probably a bit more of a handful than yours, Kelsey. When she's not being ridiculously photogeneic or getting underfoot while I'm carrying litres of hot wort, she enjoys barking at the neighbours, licking cane toads and long walks on the beach we are lucky enough to live beside.

We've had her since she was a pup and while she's my best mate, she's also a constant source of anxiety as she doesn't get along with other dogs real well.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/02RQgsD.jpg[/img]

Ollie's a very good looking dog.

So far as getting along with other dogs, that can take time & a bit of training.

When I first got Harry, he thought all small fluffy dogs were rabbits, & he'd nearly pull my arm out of its socket to rush over to them.

We've had him a bit over a year, & in that time I've gradually introduced him to a variety of dogs, initially on the leash (& on a muzzle before he got his muzzle exemption), then more & more exposure, to the point where he will now happily greet dogs of just about any size or shape, & loves to play with puppies, something we thought would never happen when we first got him.

I've read my fair share of dog training, obedience, & communication books, & highly recommend you check out Martin McKenna's work if you want to better understand your dog (from its perspective), & get it to be a bit more sociable.

It'll take a bit of work, trust, & dedication, but chances are you may be able to get your dog more sociable & then be less worried about it.

BTW, we got Harry as a 6 year old ex racer, so if we've managed to rehabilitate him & reduce his prey drive in a year, chances are you can do even better if you're up to the challenge.

1799815_245509028961879_106190151_n.jpg

Hey there king' date=' the last photo looks like you actually have a real life dog; what's its name?[/quote']

Nope, that's just a statue, although my parents do have a doberman (named Tyson) and I will hopefully have one soon too smile

It's great to have a dog, not just company, not just another mouth to feed, but someone to make you feel special without having to communicate in words.

Nothing compares to having a pet dog.

So far as getting along with other dogs' date=' that can take time & a bit of training.

[/quote']

Aint that the truth. I appreciate your insights from working with what can sometimes be another difficult type of dog.

Ollie is ~ 4 now and we have been working really closely with some of the best trainers in our area for about a year. She's come a really long way but there are some things that we've just had to make adjustments to our own lives to accomodate. Unfortunately, we were a little naive when it comes to the work required in owning a bully breed and didn't recognize the problems until they had developed past the point of being easily corrected.

That being said, she's part of the family now and you just gotta do what you gotta do. To anyone who's considering getting a dog, my advice is to make sure you fully understand what you're signing up for. Your dog may not necessarily turn out the way you expect and you need to be ready to accept the time and expense that comes with rectifying that.

So far as getting along with other dogs' date=' that can take time & a bit of training.

[/quote']

Aint that the truth. I appreciate your insights from working with what can sometimes be another difficult type of dog.

Ollie is ~ 4 now and we have been working really closely with some of the best trainers in our area for about a year. She's come a really long way but there are some things that we've just had to make adjustments to our own lives to accomodate. Unfortunately, we were a little naive when it comes to the work required in owning a bully breed and didn't recognize the problems until they had developed past the point of being easily corrected.

That being said, she's part of the family now and you just gotta do what you gotta do. To anyone who's considering getting a dog, my advice is to make sure you fully understand what you're signing up for. Your dog may not necessarily turn out the way you expect and you need to be ready to accept the time and expense that comes with rectifying that.

Too true.

Each dog breed, let along individual dog has its own needs, quirks & characteristics.

In our case we didn't even contemplate getting a dog until I'd decided to be the house husband, as greyhounds don't like to be alone for very long (4 hours max), & we've had to make adjustments & sacrifices to have Harry become part of our family.

Greyhounds also don't do well on processed food; so although he can eat kibble, his wet food is cooked by me, as he just can't eat the canned stuff without it going straight through him!

We'd contemplated a greyhound for a good few months before taking Harry into our home, & during that time I purchased & read a number of greyhound books, as well as training guide books & the like.

It still didn't completely prepare me, & there were times when I wondered if we'd made the right choice.

Only now after more than a year am I satisfied that we have a good well behaved dog that we can trust, & who clearly also loves & trusts us.

I had a mixed breed dog briefly as a kid; who unfortunately was a chaser & escape artist, & got itself flattened by a car when I was in primary school.

I also had a beagle for a number of years, who again was an escape artist, but was very affectionate.

We ended up getting her a little sister; a toy poodle, who was very loving but also very anxious, as poodles can be.

She ended up with my parents when my first marriage broke down, & the beagle was moved on to another home.

It was a good few years between dogs for me after that, but now that we've got Harry, I know what he needs, & what he brings to our lives, I wouldn't want to be without a dog again.

Harry's in training to be my assistance dog, or "Mind Dog", as I live with BPD, ASD, & Anxiety, so I'm looking forward to having his assistance & support legally recognized, & be able to take him to places he currently can't go with me.

So far as the knowing your stuff about the breed, & committing to what the dog needs; I totally agree.

I often find when I go out for walks there are people who just don't seem to understand their dog, or who are unable to socialize it.

Often they'll say other dogs are the problem, or that it's the legacy of what the dog went through before, but in most (not all cases), building a relationship with your dog based on love & trust can overcome all that.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that dog ownership is every bit as much a commitment as parenthood, & if you're not ready or able to do it, either you need to get up to speed, or think of a pet with less needs.

I think you're on the right track Crucible, but it takes persistence, trust, love & patience to get there, & unfortunately these are things that only come with practice.

A year sounds like a long time, but trust me, once you're through the first year, the conditioning & training start to work cumulatively, & it will get easier in time.

Cheers from me, & a little sleepy moan from Harry (he's not very talkative).

• 5 months later...

Remember this?

... my parents do have a doberman (named Tyson) and I will hopefully have one soon too smile

Well' date=' in two weeks this little guy arrives:

[img']http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/insaneogram81/1-09-2015%202-34-08%20PM.jpg[/img]

I'm so excited, I'm not even pretending to not be counting the hours!

Archived