Coopers Community

Home Brewer's pets

Beeblebrox

Just for something different, I thought I'd start a thread about Home Brewer's pets.

I have tropical fish - which even I admit is a little boring.

What I have that is a bit more exciting though, is a newly acquired dog.

My dog's name is Harry, he's a six year old ex racing greyhound.

He's red fawn, and is the best pet I've ever had; friendly, affectionate, and makes up for my lack of social skills - he introduces me to other dogs and their people.

He sleeps easily 18 - 20 hours per day, but the sound of me picking up his leash or the house keys is enough to wake him from the soundest slumber.

As I discovered this morning - on his first free roam run (we've only had him a few weeks, and needed to make sure his recall was strong enough before risking it), he may not have won too many races, but he can run rings around the local dogs at the park.

Anyone else have an interesting pet, or interested in dogs?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a lovely extra child called Pogo.

He was brought home as a 1 week trial from the pound - my wife's idea - and then he had to stay.

Nearly 12 month old Bull Arab cross. Loves mountain bike riding and chasing the kids around the yard.

Also loves sleeping.

We are also on our 3rd generation of Butcher Birds.

They come to the front door and sit on our knees for a dietary top up. Some days a few times, then not for a week or two. Started with one lot, then the kids, this one has a very young one now who comes to look but is scared.

Butcher birds and their larger cousins, magpies, make delightful companions.

After giving them tasty titbits to eat, though never in excess, as they are wild animals, they will reward you with the most glorious singing.

A Butcher bird in full throaty voice is a precious thing to behold.

Got a 15 yr old Beagle named Trevor ( I always give my pets human names for some stupid reason tongue )

He's totally deaf and only sees good out of one eye. He also snores & farts like an 80yr old man.

Besides from those few setbacks he is a very happy playful old dog.

Got him when I was 30 and now im 45 so hes been a big part of my life.

Since he's about 105 in dog yrs' now I guess I spoil him a fair bit happy

In the 80's and early 90's my ex wife and I owned a couple of pet shops on the Sunshine Coast. Our house was a bit of a menagerie, full of cats, dogs, guinea pigs, mice, birds, fish and kids etc. Over the years they have all slowly disappeared including the wife and all I have now is a geriatric 3 legged garbage disposal unit of a cat called "fat bastard". He has an offsider called Nimmy, a small and cute little cat, who has survived more dog attacks and 8 ft carpet snakes than you would believe. Her and cockaroaches would be the only survivors of a nuclear Armageddon.

Apart from the cats, i have my 18 yo daughter, but i dont know if she counts, but I provide food and a home so i suppose it does.....

Good thread BB

I was never into little tiny dogs but my wife bought a cavoodle a couple of years ago.

I have to admit that she is a champion little dog and had to reassess my opinion. Good temperament for little kids; she has more patience than I do devil

I don't look very masculine when I take her for a walk though; not because of the dog, I just don't look very masculine biggrin

Doesn't matter (breed, size, whatever) you need a furry brewing assistant.

Scotty is my Aussie Shepherd X Shetland Sheep Dog. He's 6 and he is my best bud in the whole world. He is always waiting at the window when I get home from work, and he can recognise the sound of my car from several minutes away. When he sees my car pull in the drive his tail wags so hard that half his body is thrown around by it. love

20120811_225108_zps37665379.jpg

My little dog lets me know when my brew is kicking off, she takes no notice when im mixing it up and making it but about 24-48 hours later she always tries to climb up to where the fv is sniffing it, I don't need an air lock with her aroundwhistling

My little dog lets me know when my brew is kicking off' date=' she takes no notice when im mixing it up and making it but about 24-48 hours later she always tries to climb up to where the fv is sniffing it, I don't need an air lock with her around[img']whistling[/img]

You NEVER NEED air locks!!!

Got a 15 yr old Beagle named Trevor ( I always give my pets human names for some stupid reason tongue )

He's totally deaf and only sees good out of one eye. He also snores & farts like an 80yr old man.

Besides from those few setbacks he is a very happy playful old dog.

Got him when I was 30 and now im 45 so hes been a big part of my life.

Since he's about 105 in dog yrs' now I guess I spoil him a fair bit happy

Good one Quicky, I had a Beagle named Bonnie, unfortunately her escape artist antics were too much.

We had her and a toy Poodle named Jemma, but when my first marriage went pear shaped, my now ex found a new home for Bonnie, and I got stuck living with my parents with Jemma; Jemma was a good dog, but Bonnie had been my dog - my parents refused her to move in with me because of her escapology history.

When I met my current wife Jemma stayed with my parents (by then she'd lived with them along with me for nearly three years).

By the time Harry came to me I'd been dog free for nearly ten years, and in therapy the whole time as a result.

I've found once you've had a dog it becomes a part of you; both the dog, and the sense of belonging and pack/family that goes with it, and only having a dog can make you feel fulfilled the same way when you lose your dog, whatever the circumstances.

Anyway, I reckon dogs rule, you just need to make sure the dog is compatible with you in its temperament and needs; you wouldn't get a keplie unless you could work it all day, and you wouldn't get a greyhound if you weren't happy with a dog that sleeps 18 - 20 hours per day, but must have a routine and be walked for 20 - 30 mins twice a day.

They also don't like to be left alone too long, so either a second dog, take it with you everywhere, or have someone at home with it most of the time.

Absolutely not King; that's just dog racism!

The companion animals act states that dogs in free roam areas must be under effective control at all times. If in public dogs must be leashed as well as under the effective control of their owner or handler - and in the case of greyhounds who have not completed a six week greenhound training course, must be muzzled. - If they have completed the Greenhound training course and successfully passed assessment they must wear a green collar with identifying details on it, provided by the relevant authority.

I don't know what the rules are where you are King, but so long as my greyhound wears a muzzle in public and is leashed when not in free roam areas there is no legal issue, other than the necessity to pick up his crap.

Of course being a greyhound, it's best to make sure any free roam area is properly fenced, and that he knows any other dogs he will be playing with off leash - to be sure he won't confuse them for a rabbit or lures he chased in his racing days.

Greyhounds are actually the last dogs that need to be muzzled, it's an antiquated law that requires them to be muzzled, and owners of greyhounds as pets have been lobbying for years to have this law repealed, as any owner will tell you, you'd be hard pressed to find a more affectionate friendly dog.

BTW - more people and animals are mauled by golden retrievers and labradors than most other breeds, (- I expect it's due to numbers and popularity, rather than an intrinsic aggression issue) and they don't have to wear muzzles and aren't considered a dangerous breed.

As with humans, genes and environment determine the temperament of a dog, and there really is no such thing as a bad breed; just bad individuals with bad owners.

I can't believe how jealous I'm feeling about all you guys! When I was 7 years old, my elder sister brought home a bitzer (a miniature dachshund cross). Of course she swore black and blue to our parents she'd look after him and walk and feed him every day; and I must admit she kept her word for over a week. Then it seemed, we hit it off, and Fritz and I were virtually inseparable from then on. He got run over after being scared by a backfiring car when he was 14 y.o. and I must admit more than a few tears were shed.

Since then, I (and subsequently, we) have never been without at least one (sometimes 2 or 3) canine companions. As well, as any Burmese cat owner will know, we have also had at least one or two honorary-dogs simultaneously. Like the Hairy one, they have always been medium to large dogs, and have always had absolutely wonderful natures (like being with friends, family and strangers, and especially our kids. When our boys were toddlers, the german shepherd bitch and the dobermann-rottweiler use to put with so much cr*p, and they happily let the kids ride them bareback. Even the honorary-dogs use to tolerate having huge clumps of hair being viciously bitten off them by our spawn-of-satan.

About 3 years ago, after Louis the doberman cross passed on at the ripe age of 17 years, we were down to 2 burmese and the boys pleaded for a dog. Off we trotted to the RSPCA shelter and came home with a 3 year old Maltese-Shitzu cross called Mia. My more attractive half and I were listening to the boys fussing over her in the back seat and we heard the 9 year old say to his older brother "you know, if we put a stick up her a^$&, we could use her as a mop". She has been called Mopsy ever since.

However, while she really is a lovely dog for the kids, she has never ever come to me. If I walk anywhere near her, she runs and hides (unless I'm the only one at home and there's a thunderstorm). This was the very first dog I/we have not had from a puppy (and I promise I have never hurt her), so I doubt I'll ever get another from the pound for fear of what he/she may have experienced from previous owners. So sad.

I really miss having a mate around me and am trying to work on SWMBO into letting me get another dog. If she won't let me get a dog, where do people get ferrets from? cool

I share your pain Antiphile.

My first dog only lasted a few weeks or months when I was about 10 - I can't remember exactly, partly because it was more than 30 years ago, and I'm sure partly because I was traumatized over her loss.

She was a lovely cross kelpie from the RSPCA named Ginger - crossed with who knows what, (at the time we suspected some Dingo, as she barely barked, but recalling now how she ran, I would think she was part greyhound). She was almost exactly the same colour as my current dog (red fawn).

Apparently one day as I went off to school she escaped from the back gate and was run over by a car.

My mother told me about it when I got home from school, but I was robbed of the chance to say goodbye, as they had taken her body, and we didn't have a funeral.

Some may say it's just a dog or whatever, but grieving is a process you have to go through, and to be robbed of the opportunity at this tender age has given me lifelong difficulty in coping with grief.

I again grieved when I heard my previous dog Jemma had passed away - I think it was last year or the year before; she lived to a good age, and was very fond of me, but a falling out with my parents meant I learned of her death from my ex wife. Bad news from an ex is never a good thing, it only adds strain to a difficult relationship.

I believe you when you say you have always been good to your dog Mopsie Antiphile; sometimes rescue dogs obsess about someone who neglected or abused them, and as with humans with PTSD - a passing resemblance is all that is required to bring back the memories and feelings.

I know first hand, having had a similar experience recently.

Chances are you just look slightly like someone your dog didn't like.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe you should take the dog for walks - it may not like you at first, but if you spend quality time with it doing what it enjoys you may be able to turn it around.

Just remember to carry some treats like beef liver, and practice some recall etc with it.

You cant' bribe your way to a dogs heart, but it certainly can help to break the ice.

Better that than feeling robbed of a dogs affection, and ferrets bite and stink.

Absolutely not King; that's just dog racism!

Heh

Well, a friend of mine has had a rescue greyhound for a year or so now and she was just recently telling me about the laws. I did some Googling too and it turns out that here in SA they need to be muzzled and leashed, and from what Michelle told me there's fairly good reasons for it. Greyhounds are sight-dogs and can see clearly for a kilometre, so if some cat crosses the road ten blocks down it's off because that's what it's been trained to do! Apparently if she walks it she needs to carry around a dog passport or something too.

Nothing against the breed though - and as a doberman lover I know what it's like to have to explain temperament to people.

Having said all that though, it's all well and good to say "it's not the dog it's the way it's raised" but it's absolutely definite that some breeds have higher propensity to become aggressive than others. Chihuahuas and dachshunds are, in fact, considered the two most aggressive breeds!

I get what you're saying King, and I agree.

Though with greyhounds it's not so much that they can see a km away clearly, but that they simply are sight hounds, which means anything remotely resembling their natural prey will activate their prey drive, especially if it is moving at a fast rate.

You simply can't extinguish this from greyhounds, but it is a very different thing to what non greyhound owners perceive it to be.

There is a huge difference between prey drive and aggression.

Unfortunately one of our neighbours does own a chihuahua, and I can certainly vouch for them being overly aggressive, especially for the size of them (small dog syndrome).

This particular chihuahua belongs to exactly the sort of person who should not own one.

The first time it met Harry I was brushing him on the lawn in the common area of our units.

She proceeded to walk her dog up along the path near Harry, then make sure they were eye to eye (we were at the bottom of a slope), and she let her dog bark and growl at Harry; deliberately provoking him.

She then went off and took photos of me with Harry, so we ended up calling the police, as it was obvious from previous encounters that this would only escalate if not nipped in the bud.

Dachshunds certainly have the potential to be aggressive as well - it's common with smaller hunting dogs such as terriers and scent hounds to be either scent prey driven, aggressive, or both, though aggression in dogs is not a bad thing, so long as it is within context, such as hunting rats, chasing a ball, or running in the park; aggression against other dogs or humans is never okay.

For the record, I used to be one who would misunderstand both greyhounds and dobermen.

I used to think both were aggressive, confusing large size, prey drive, and strength with a potential to be dangerous.

The reality is, all dogs have a mouth full of steak knives, and all could be dangerous if not trained to act in sociable and appropriate ways.

My current wife changed my attitude towards greyhounds by telling me stories of her childhood spent with her grandparent's dogs (who were racers then retired to be family pets), and my ex wife helped me understand that dobermen are just a large friendly dog that can look scary and powerful, but like greyhounds, have a nurturing friendly and placid nature; she still had her childhood dog, by then quite old when I met her, and I had the privilege of knowing Tasha for the last few years of her life.

So again, just like people dogs are individuals; sure their breed plays a strong role in their behavior and temperament, as does their history, but generally if you know what your dog was bred for and take this into account with then when training and walking them, all dogs have a similar potential to be good or bad.

I'm still learning what it means to be a good greyhound owner, but so far we've been blessed with a well behaved friendly affectionate furry family member, and that must mean we're doing something right with him.

Oh, and for accurate info on the laws for greyhounds in SA please see the link (they seem similar to NSW, other than in SA they must be on a leash at all times unless they are the equivalent of Greenhounds, and a few other minor differences):

http://www.gooddogsa.com/system/pdfs/09.2_InfoSheet%5BGreyhounds%5D.pdf

Timber is my three legged Czech shepherd. He has been my faithful companion for 11 years now. He used to be a real bush dog and would be my fearless whilst working in the woods. He now is retired a spends most of his time sleeping on the couch. He still make a great watch dog for the house and family since his bark is still loud and likes to use it often.

I would like a dog one day but not until we move to our farm...I wouldn't want to add cacophony of barking day in and day out that goes on in our area.

I used to have a "pet" water dragon or 3 that lived across the road but the local cats have since killed them...cats should be outlawed (as should dogs of cat size).

I would like a dog one day but not until we move to our farm...I wouldn't want to add cacophony of barking day in and day out that goes on in our area.

I used to have a "pet" water dragon or 3 that lived across the road but the local cats have since killed them...cats should be outlawed (as should dogs of cat size).

Good idea Muddy!

I have a dog that is cat sized and I like the excitement of having an illegal dog.

I'm not a huge cat fan but wouldn't mind getting a panther.

You may be able to find a compatible dog Muddy; you just need to know their temperament and requirements.

I thought a greyhound would be way too big and need too much exercise for us, but my mrs put me straight, along with doing some research.

Turns out sight hounds mostly sleep, need a good walk a couple of times a day, and need a routine, but are otherwise essentially trouble free.

That said, if you're out for long hours or only have one dog it can be problematic, especially if you can't leave your dog outside.

We live in a 2 bedroom villa with a tiny courtyard front and back, so I take Harry for a good walk morning and evening, and a good run a few times a week at a fully fenced free roam area.

He literally sleeps 18 - 20 hours a day, but is prone to separation anxiety if left at home for more than a few hours; I only do voluntary work once a month at present, and don't plan on returning to full time work.

Our Harry is an older fella, six years old with a patchy racing career behind him; 52 starts no wins, a few 4ths and 6ths.

He is completely house trained, and actually runs from the back door to the front and barks if he needs to relieve himself.

If I had the bladder and bowel control he had I'd be stoked - unlike me he can sleep all night without having to get up.

I totally get where you're coming from about cats; I'd say it's time that councils and police start joining the RSPCA in enforcing the companion animals act when it comes to cats.

We've had a troublesome neighbour's cat, when we reported it to the council they said to call the RSPCA, when the RSPCA came - three times - all they did was talk to the owner, but the cat still roams, and there is no point reporting it to someone that won't do anything about it.

If you're too old and frail to keep a cat as it should be kept, or unwilling to restrict it you simply shouldn't have it.

They should not be outside at all at night, and should not leave the property of the owner at any time.

I think cats caught wandering - and therefore most likely killing wildlife - should be on a three strikes, with warnings and fines issued to their owners.

Third time the owner gets to watch as a vet euthanizes the cat.

Some may argue the owner should be the one getting the needle, but I didn't say that!

Archived