Coopers Community

70's Aussie style Draught thoughts, first step?

Magnaman

G'day everyone, my first thought on changing a kit brew, just throwing up an idea for an Aussie draught style beer harking back to working class Sydney of the 1970's, some of you may have been there. The first step on a journey. smile

K&K with short boil with hop addition, if that's the right description?

So please comment, am I dreaming, just guessing I have no idea? surprised

What yeast? Go with kit or other?

boil 2 litre water 500g DDM @ rolling boil add 20g Pride of Ringwood, boil 10 minutes, flame out add further 20g Pride of Ringwood, let stand for 5 minutes.

Pour into FV add the rest of the DDM and 500g of dextrose and the contents of the Coopers Draught can. Fill FV to 23 litres checking temp, pitch yeast.

1 Can Coopers Draught

800g of Dark Dry Malt

500g of Dextrose

20g Pride of Ringwood, @ boil 10 minutes

20g Pride of Ringwood, @ flame out for 5 minutes

Yeast, kit or other?

Please comment after you stop laughing, thanks' in advance.

Where is the love hey?

From what I understand POR is generally used as a 60 minute bittering addition.

I have no idea actually, having never used POR.

I bought some SuperPride recently and will be making a beer with that, it is a newer cousin of POR.

BTW if doing a 2 litre boil all you need is 200g of DME in it.

Where is the love hey?

From what I understand POR is generally used as a 60 minute bittering addition.

I have no idea actually' date=' having never used POR.

I bought some SuperPride recently and will be making a beer with that, it is a newer cousin of POR.

BTW if doing a 2 litre boil all you need is 200g of DME in it.[/quote']

Thanks' for the info Ben 10, I'll take that on board and keep doing some research. smile

• 5 years later...
On 2/9/2014 at 10:38 PM, Magnaman said:

G'day everyone, my first thought on changing a kit brew, just throwing up an idea for an Aussie draught style beer harking back to working class Sydney of the 1970's, some of you may have been there. The first step on a journey. smile

K&K with short boil with hop addition, if that's the right description?

So please comment, am I dreaming, just guessing I have no idea? surprised

What yeast? Go with kit or other?

boil 2 litre water 500g DDM @ rolling boil add 20g Pride of Ringwood, boil 10 minutes, flame out add further 20g Pride of Ringwood, let stand for 5 minutes.

Pour into FV add the rest of the DDM and 500g of dextrose and the contents of the Coopers Draught can. Fill FV to 23 litres checking temp, pitch yeast.

1 Can Coopers Draught

800g of Dark Dry Malt

500g of Dextrose

20g Pride of Ringwood, @ boil 10 minutes

20g Pride of Ringwood, @ flame out for 5 minutes

Yeast, kit or other?

Please comment after you stop laughing, thanks' in advance.

Hi Magnaman.
I know I'm drawing a long bow here because this was 5 years ago but do you remember how it turned out?
I just mixed a similar batch hoping to get that "front bar draught" type of result. I'm hosting my daughter's 18th next month and have commercial beer and cider for the guests but thought I'd supplement it with HB in case they drink more than I've bought.

Coopers Draught 1.7kg
BE3 1kg
12g POR hops steeped for 60 mins
Kit yeast pitched at 21C.
23 litres - OG 1037.

13 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I think any HB kit today would surely pee on a 70s style draught? I mean, you'd have something to taste....

I am not sure if you were in Sydeny during the 70's but there was some pretty good draught beers. The main brewers fought hard for market share Tooths, Tooheys and Reschs. Tooths made a new and an old as did Tooheys and Reschs made a good ale. I was a Reschs or a Tooths Old drinker. They were great days could get a schooner, a packet of smokes and get change from 50 c ...  pretty sure when i started going to the pub in 74 schooners were 15c  in the lounge and 13c in the saloon and public bars .... great days when pubs have 3 bars ... 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have resurrected this as I am now testing my AG recipe making skills and trying to have a go at recreating an old school tap version of Reschs. So this is my train of thought Resch was a German so he would have used German recipes as opposed to Toohey who was Irish and Tooth who was English so they would have used methods and hops they were familiar with.   

May way of thinking is throw together a German Ale recipe in the 17 EBC range and bitter it with POR or Super Pride and flavour it with one of the German hops like Perle.  So brain trust what the verdict ...  

21 hours ago, Hairy said:

You should check out the book “Bronzed Brews: Homebrewing Old Australian Beers” by Peter Symons.

I have been looking around and the author has published another called "6 o'clock brews" which has 54 recipes in it. In this book he was granted access to the Cooper archives and this is from the blurb "... granted the rare privilege of access to Cooper’s Brewery archives, I am especially pleased to be able to document the evolution of Cooper’s beers over 100 years or so."    

Thanks for the heads up on that book, do you have a copy? This week I will be ordering both and be picking the eyes out of the recipes and start making some "old school" beers.   These are two of the older examples that I have come across from the book.  One a 1917 recipe for a Tooth Pale Ale and the other a series of English recipes from the 1930's which is out of his 3rd book which is about English beers.  

https://5c3da090-f5c1-4f39-a7ff-ea5c3f24bf3c.filesusr.com/ugd/e1fc4d_0158ab5b90a34c918b8e2782a9425cf6.pdf?index=true

https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/1917 Tooth’s Pale Ale Recipe.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got quite interested in the Tooth's recipe & more so the Melbourne Ale yeast strain soon after Ben 10 first mentioned the Bronzed Brews book back in 2016. I eventually got hold of the yeast late last year & brewed a beer with it. I put together a nice malt bill & used simple additions of just Mt. Hood throughout the boil & a small dry hop. I was very impressed with the yeast, it's fermentability & flavour, & the beer was ridiculously easy to throw down & did not last long in the keg.

I still have some of this yeast in the fridge & must attempt another brew with it soon.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to put down Marty.

Lusty.

• Like 4

Well I have been scouring the depths of the net for the last 24 hours and have come across a common theme for beers made prior to the 50's. The common hops used where EKG and an Australian variant of Cluster. That was before when PoR was developed then it took over.  Also sugar was used as an adjunct in most of the recipes.   The strain of yeast that was rediscovered in the yeast vault in England and now know as WLP059 Melbourne Ale was the yeast that seems to have been widely used from the 20's onwards. Sorry for rehashing this for  those who have been contributing for the last 5 years or more as i assume this was discussed when "Bronzed Brews" was 1st published but I am really finding this fascinating.   Cant wait to get the books.   

So I have come across quite a few reproductions of the style of Australian Pale/Sparkling Ale and this seems to be a reasonable staring point for it. 

Maris Otter  36.1 %
Pilsner 34.2 %
Corn 8.0 %
Sugar 21.7 %
4.00 g Cinnamon Stick Mash 90.0 mins) 
10.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.20 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 7 3.2 IBUs
30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 8 8.5 IBUs
17.00 g Super Pride [13.70 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 9 15.8 IBUs  
40.00 g Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 8.5 IBUs
1.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) 
2.0 pkg Melbourne Ale (White Labs #WLP059) 

That comes in around 9 EBC and 36 IBU  for a 40l batch so the hop weights need to be adjusted for the applicable batch size.   

I have done a recipe which reduces the sugar by a couple of percent and add some roasted barley to get it to the colour that I recall Reschs being in the 70's which was around 17-18 EBC.  The BU:GU ratio of that recipe is 1.01. 

I wont be brewing it until I can get some WLP 059 Melbourne Ale which is sold by KegLand but is out of stock.  

Anyway will update any further findings for any old school beer lovers who may be interested and not into american hop bombs.   I like many others recall a time when Australian commercial beers were pretty much all ales and had flavour.  Not like the lager driven swill of today.   

Hmm, wonder if I can find a recipe for Toohey Flag Ale.  

Also apologies for being NSW centric but that is where I grew up. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Maris Otter  36.1 %
Pilsner 34.2 %
Corn 8.0 %
Sugar 21.7 %
4.00 g Cinnamon Stick Mash 90.0 mins) 
10.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.20 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 7 3.2 IBUs
30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 8 8.5 IBUs
17.00 g Super Pride [13.70 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 9 15.8 IBUs  
40.00 g Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 8.5 IBUs
1.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) 
2.0 pkg Melbourne Ale (White Labs #WLP059) 

That comes in around 9 EBC and 36 IBU  for a 40l batch so the hop weights need to be adjusted for the applicable batch size.   

I have done a recipe which reduces the sugar by a couple of percent and add some roasted barley to get it to the colour that I recall Reschs being in the 70's which was around 17-18 EBC.  The BU:GU ratio of that recipe is 1.01.

Just be mindful that with a lot of these old recipes they would often use raw sugar, & quite often, "invert" sugar, not plain refined sugar as it implies if reading today. A lot of traditional English ales use invert sugar to create the slight caramel taste, increase colour, but also maintain a lowish final gravity due to it's higher fermentability vs grain based alternatives.

So by you saying you've needed to add roasted barley to attain the Reschs colour, lends me to believe the sugar in this recipe is either darker to begin with, or is in fact a version of invert sugar. 😉

Best of luck with the brew Marty. 👍

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1