Coopers Community

Gose

JohnE9

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, therealthing691 said:

Well after 2 or so weeks and a few bottles I love it and are curious to see how it tastes with out the oats .So the same grain bill . Just no oats or torrified  wheat  and a extra .5kg of best pale wheat Here is what it looked like carbed up . Bring on round 2 and maybe rice hulls this time as I don't wont a stuck sparge this time

20190310_212955.jpg

well round 2 was a great  success so far no stuck sparge thanks to rice hulls which from now on I will always use. The brew is nearly the same just nearly  no oats 75g instead of 500g as I am aiming for a more traditional sour / no milkshake haze . When I say sour its tart nothing like kettle soured . Well at least with mega oats it was very smooth and tart which was what I was aiming for . As for this brew should be a lot sharper I think and is 25L this one so the Abv is lower .I haven't checked efficiency   yet is still in the cube cooling will  do when I transfer to the fermenter. Here is some photo's it is a lot more red than it looks with the redx addition and a blonde by the same brewery as duvel after it was done

20190323_145430.jpg

20190323_155906.jpg

I took my brew to the local craft brewery and gave a couple of the staff there a taste as I promised them . They where quite good with the comments the only negative was a little grainy well a stuck sparge I think would be the cause of that but all in all they loved it. I cant wait to see what they think of the second batch that has less oats. They said well balanced as for sour they said not really sour .I would have to agree is more tangy / tart but really drinkable for the ABV no strong alcohol taste 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

well  I looking forward  to bottling this and cant wait to condition it to compare .Is a clear version as I said a tiny amount of oats and a bit more wheat but the rest basically the same. Oh except the 1st brew was fwh citra only  . This was FWH with citra/mosaic and a touch more ibu's but still around twenty . Very happy with the colour  but would be calling this a speciality fruit beer not a sour . Think I better start a new thread LOL

20190411_122516.jpg

20190411_122459.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Kirk and Popo I cant wait to taste it out of a glass .The very oaty version was great very balanced a little too drinkable at around 7% . This one what I tasted out of the hydrometer before cold crashing it was very similar but dryer thinner well balanced   as expected .  cheers Brian

6 hours ago, Popo said:

It's been very interesting to follow along. I'm loving the look and the sound of it.

I really need to make time to brew more so I can try my hand at some of this stuff.

I love to try different stuff a brewery which I am a member of gives me inspiration for some of the stuff I have been trying.In saying that all there beer is very hop forward these raspberry ones have enough going on with the tartness of the fruit acid malt salt Redx which has a taste of its own also salt they don't need high ibu's at least I don't think and had it pointed out to me . This is defiantly staying in the to brew next summer list with a more sessionable ABV % LOL  but a bit lower

• 3 weeks later...

Well just poured a glass of the second batch without all the oats quite impressed is well balanced has a lot sharper taste without all the oats  not a bad drop can taste the redx a little but is not over powering well balanced and fruity .Has a head like velvet cheersraspberry1.thumb.jpg.a32df6ee74d0c4d56be367ffc532e061.jpg 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Looks great @therealthing691

Loving that pinkish hue to the head.

Me too  just had a stubby last night had a long neck today is about dry as carlton dry as a comparision .It really is fruity and refreshing a little malty really happy will be on the do again list for sure. I am amazed the difference in taste  just with out all the oats .As the rest all the same if you tasted each you would say its a complete different grain bill 

• 5 months later...