Coopers Community

Gose

JohnE9

Nice find John, but I'm with Ben on this one.

Having a nice supply of good soft country rainwater from a clean roof into a clean tank, I don't think I'll be adding salt to it to make a brew - not until I've made the other thousand or so recipes out there that I'm busting to try, anyway.

But like the article said, it's a tribute to human endeavour that they were able to play the cards they were dealt, while drinking lemonade... (Did I get that right? rolleyes )

• 4 years later...

No probs Ben I will share  any recipe that's what I reckon forums are all about. I are having trouble getting acidulated malt local but will do soon  here is the link  

https://homebrewanswers.com/raspberry-gose-recipe/?fbclid=IwAR0dTBBmkJxNaEB2TZHAjy7xiOukrhEhaL7TGyOhl2X4OHTteaa2NA-txsI    

when I do mine I will post what amount I do I will only do 10L if I like will do a large one next summer cheers Brian

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, Ben 10 said:

Please report back gose is great. care to share the recipe?

this is the basic recipe ordered the grain

2kg best pilsner

1kg best red x

1kg best wheat malt pale

.25kg briess torrified wheat

.5kg of quick oats

salt will be .5 to a gram per litre

are going to add dextrose but unsure of amount at the moment

above will be a 90min mash then a further mash of 1kg of best acidulated malt 45mins

will add 1.5kg of raspberry puree after primary fermenting 

any suggestion good or bad is appreciated cheers Brian

Mate I thought you were doing a 10L batch. That grain bill looks like it is for a 23L batch?

My malt bills for gose are pilsner and wheat and acidulated when I didnt kettle sour. Good amount of acidulated for a 23L batch. I used 23g of salt for my brew so you could up it to get that salty hit from a gose.

Why the red x? I haven't added frozen raspberries to beers before but I was thinking 1-1.5kg would be a good starting point.

What's the OG for your brew with that malt bill? Seems a bit strong

• Like 1

23 l I decided as I do like the style  and it will be higher than gose but all I am aiming for is lightly salty and tart not the exact style .ABV high 6"s .I realise it way high for a gose .I am trying for sour  tart with only a little  hint of saltiness   hops I am unsure the (Red x taste and hue)

Ive tried a couple of higher abv kettle sours, loaded up with hops. They didn't work for me personally.

I still stand by 23g salt will give you that hint of saltiness. Halved I don't think it would be detectable, esp given your raspberry addition and higher abv and red x addition.

I like the sound of the original recipe you linked. Why don't you follow that first go around, then experiment and wind it back or amp it up on subsequent brews? That's usually my approach 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joolbag said:

Ive tried a couple of higher abv kettle sours, loaded up with hops. They didn't work for me personally.

I still stand by 23g salt will give you that hint of saltiness. Halved I don't think it would be detectable, esp given your raspberry addition and higher abv and red x addition.

I like the sound of the original recipe you linked. Why don't you follow that first go around, then experiment and wind it back or amp it up on subsequent brews? That's usually my approach 

thanks but  the grain is already ordered so that is it will see how it goes .the acidulated is coming separate  the salt 1g a litre is the go I just put 1g in a litre of water and I see what you mean . Thanks for the input I aren't going to load it with hops  was thinking maybe  simcoe 10 maybe 15g FWH  even 20g any suggestions are great. 

Mate I'm sure youlll keep us posted on brewday and as it ferments and particularly when it hits the glass.  Will be very curious how it turns out with the 1kg of Red X and the higher ABV.  Could be fantastic and encourage others to brew similar!  A strong, red, gose!  Regarding hops, these sour beers don't tend to be very bitter.  Good call going FWH and no late additions.  In my Berliner Weisse, Gose and Catharina Sour, the IBUs were low, between 9 and 14 IBU.  Chuck it into Beersmith to work out how much to put in at FWH to hit this bitterness.  Maybe because of higher ABV and higher residual sweetness, you could push it to the higher side (but not too high!)

16 hours ago, joolbag said:

Mate I'm sure youlll keep us posted on brewday and as it ferments and particularly when it hits the glass.  Will be very curious how it turns out with the 1kg of Red X and the higher ABV.  Could be fantastic and encourage others to brew similar!  A strong, red, gose!  Regarding hops, these sour beers don't tend to be very bitter.  Good call going FWH and no late additions.  In my Berliner Weisse, Gose and Catharina Sour, the IBUs were low, between 9 and 14 IBU.  Chuck it into Beersmith to work out how much to put in at FWH to hit this bitterness.  Maybe because of higher ABV and higher residual sweetness, you could push it to the higher side (but not too high!)

Thanks once again  the tip on the ibu's is great as I was going to go higher but I wont cheeres and thanks a million for the input

• 2 weeks later...

the brew is well into fermenting  the second week fruit  is in. All went well but is always a but hahaha a stuck sprage a bit too much oats with rice hulls I think. Ibu's where around 17.   Took  a Hydrometer reading a day ago and wet the lips it tastes  great  but early days yet .I think I will cold crash for a full week this time 

• 2 weeks later...

well this is out of the bottling bucket obvious it isn't carbonated but am quite happy with taste colour is tart  but not overly sour at all  2 weeks conditioning will give it a go is a bit like a milkshake ipa at the low end of ibu's with a little tartness  .It has lots of oats so is quite smooth too cheers see how it tastes in 2weeks

20190224_180431.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 2 or so weeks and a few bottles I love it and are curious to see how it tastes with out the oats .So the same grain bill . Just no oats or torrified  wheat  and a extra .5kg of best pale wheat Here is what it looked like carbed up . Bring on round 2 and maybe rice hulls this time as I don't wont a stuck sparge this time

20190310_212955.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for keeping us posted on this beer. Did u add 1.5kg raspberry purée as plannned? Was it just frozen raspberries thawed and then blitzed with a stick mixer?

i did 1kg frozen raspberries straight out of the packet into the fermenter. Next time I will up it to 1.5kg and thaw then blitz them. Just want a tad more raspberry to perfect my recipe