Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

On 9/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, Thirsty Jim said:

But enough nostalgia... OK, one more.  This is in my opinion the best Beatles cover ever recorded.  The late Doug Parkinson is on lead tambourine and vocals.  Doug had a great barber and a fantastic  voice - which is more than can be said for his backing vocalists.  They don't make them like this anymore...

Doug had a real knack for doing covers better than the originals. His version of Sedaka's Hungry Years was so much more soulful and his voice an easier listen than Sedaka's. (IMHO). 
But still got to give much credit to Sedaka for penning the classic.

2 hours ago, Stickers said:

speaking of neil diamond, i did the shilo dot to dot when i was about 6. great album and glad i kept it. goes well at weddings and bbqs

That is so cool on so many levels.

• You kept it
  • Your mum/dad had it in the first place
  • Several great singles on one record
  • You could use the same dot to dot on the back of an Elvis album too.

I have three types of music in my iTunes:

• Any type of Metal
  • Johnny Cash
  • Neil Diamond
  • Like 2

My wife chose this Diamond song for our wedding waltz back in 1992. Well blow me down, 24 years later Neil came to our home town of Adelaide to perform a concert on our wedding anniversary. He's such a romantic. 😄 
He was 74 and didn't miss a note. Such a shame his health has turned for the worse.
(BTW, I don't remember him doing this song at the concert. Maybe he's not that sentimental after all. Ha!)

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, Thirsty Jim said:

" First, you take a wok ..." Dunstan said and the ABC interviewer interjected " What's a wok ?"

A thing you thwow at a wabbit when you haven't got a wifle? 😄

As for weddings, this was the choice of SWMBO for ours...

• Like 1

I don't normally post on this thread as my music tastes are probably different to most, I grew up with Normie Rowe, Billy Thorpe, Russell Morris etc & then there was Elvis/Beatles/Stones/Eagles/Bee Gees & of course others to numerous to mention. I am mainly a Country fan but also like Jimmy Barnes & others but not in to the real head banging, loud stuff.

My favourites are Alan Jackson, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Willie & so on so I am quite content to punt along with stuff that.

Cheers. 🎶

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't normally post on this thread as my music tastes are probably different to most, I grew up with Normie Rowe, Billy Thorpe, Russell Morris etc & then there was Elvis/Beatles/Stones/Eagles/Bee Gees & of course others to numerous to mention. I am mainly a Country fan but also like Jimmy Barnes & others but not in to the real head banging, loud stuff.

My favourites are Alan Jackson, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Willie & so on so I am quite content to punt along with stuff that.

Cheers. 🎶

billy thorpe and the aztecs  great band  and Billy thorpe what a great singer

Normie Rowe   wasnt bad either

you have mentioned  some great artists bands amongst that

here is one that you may like done by the late  Johnny cash's daughter Roseanne Cash

another of johnny cash's daughter Roseanne did for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwocVPaGsE

it shows how much she loved and adored Johnny Cash

I must admitt i love some of Johnny Cashes music 
even though he may have got up to some mischief
in his growing up  but what i put to music  was brilliant
and you could tell it came from the heart.

Personelly i have an open mind when it comes to music
can almost listen to anything  

I am not a huge fan of todays music even though there is some great singers and writers amongst them
but i still like  the music from the past  

one of my favourite songs and always brings a tears to my eyes and not many of the youngesters would know this bloke and i have had the good fortune to have a beer with this artist and he is coming up to his 80th birthday this month
he is a guy from Ireland   named Charlie Landsborough,  He was brought up an orphan basicly and only met his sister and brothers later in life As Charlie got himself into some mischeif and being homeless, he did turn him self around and he  turned to God. things changed for him things took a better path to where he is Today.  

My folks tried to get to every concert in Melbourne and Tasmania He did when he toured Australia  and his final tour was just before this pandemic and he brought his son out and both of them got stuck in Qld for awhile.

Every Concert  and he was performing and sometimes he would stop and have a chat as they do inbetween songs  and one of the 1st  Things he would do if he spotted my Mother or my Father,    He would say how you doing Pauline and Barry,  great to see you both and said I was your Mother Ruby was here Today I always remember her smile

Still today My Mother  is good friends with Charlie and his Sister (not sure if she is still alive) and they still communicate
through emails and letters and Charlie hopes to get back to oz as he loves Australia and the People

but 1 song he did  as i said brings a tear to my eye   

is My forever Friend   

I honestly believe music you need to open and be able to listen to all kinds

but we all have our favourites

i like heavy metal blues, jazz  country  light rock 
60's and 70's and early 80's

my tastes arent everyones either   

but you have picked a few gooden s  Phil

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I have seen that & many more on You Tube which I watch regularly along with Netflix - so much rubbish on FTA I hardly bother.

Love it. We need to be reminded that country music can be good when good musicians are involved. What with the proliferation of copycat hat acts, here and over there, with their toe tappin’ mournfulness, it sometimes gets a much deserved bad wrap. As mentioned already, Cash, Nelson and co. are originals, and we could add Kristofferson, Jennings and more. Our own Australian Graeme Connors gets my vote as well. A great musician and a wonderfully poetic songsmith. Keep ‘em coming!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers. 🎶

Post whatever you want and don’t care about what others think of it.

This song is stuck in my head.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Post whatever you want and don’t care about what others think of it.

This song is stuck in my head.

Exactly. This thread is about showing what you like. It doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.  To me beer and music go together 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers. 🎶

There's some good music in that list @Classic Brewing Co

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

When Billy Killed the Fish! 😄 

How about Sonny and Brownie?

Normie I wasn't that keen on and Beatles I only started to get into AFTER they broke up. 😄 BeeGees I didn't mind in the early days although they were a bit soft-cock-rock for me and when they got to the 'meaningless songs in very high voices' stage they lost me.

Stones were a bit 'meh' although they had some good songs. Eagles I got into after Joe joined the band although they did some good music for 'mellow' times before that.

My 1st album I bought was Sabbath, something my Religious parents were horrified over, but hey, the old man used to crank up the old valve radio 7pm every night for 2TM C&W music - I had to drown it out somehow! 😄 

But in there was The Band, Jefferson, (both iterations) Lindisfarne, Steeleye Span, Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Spectrum, Matt Taylor in his various bands, Dr Hook and more. Hell, I'd even go and listen to Skyhooks up in Carlton because the chicks were easier there. 😄 

Saw some great bands in the Hard Rock on corner of Spring and Fliners st. Not the Hollywood version, this was 6 floors of variety. Bands in the dungeon, pinballs at ground, snooker and pool on another floor, cafeteria and also a disco up the top. Cheap drinks and food and it all went on a card and you paid on the way out along with 50c per hour in there. Was a great way to waste hours at a time.Melbourne was THE bands capital of Australia and bands didn't really 'make it' unless they'd played there.

The irony of MTV's 1st hit being 'Video killed the radio star' Slowly became apparent and computer fiddling with voice nailed the coffin lid down on quality music. Up to the 70's & early 80's musicians had to have talent and usually presence. After that it was more about looks and promotion. le sigh...

So I wouldn't worry too much about your music tastes there @Classic Brewing Co 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

This is possibly the best quality clip I have seen of the Beatles.

Interestingly back in the 1960s the Beatles were promoted as "the good guys" and the Rolling Stones the "bad guys"

I think that was because the Beatles had 'nice' haircuts where the Stones were kinda grunge. 😄 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:
33 minutes ago, Mickep said:

For those who love 'em, a little bit of Beatles magic

This is possibly the best quality clip I have seen of the Beatles.

Interestingly back in the 1960s the Beatles were promoted as "the good guys" and the Rolling Stones the "bad guys"

Yeah, PJ @Pickles Jones, the media love a neatly packaged box with a label to put on it. I am a bit of a Beatles nut. Interestingly, the original concept for the use of this footage was to film the making of Let it Be 60 hours worth in fact - worts and all. The movie Let it be ensued and the group was depicted in that film as pretty much a bickering, hate filled group who couldn't stand the sight of one another. This New material and what Jackson has done shows that the group actually looked remarkably cohesive. 

• Like 1

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember this, my parents took us & I was only a kid but I will never forget seeing so many people. I was the oldest of the kids but I still remember the Beatles wig/mug/plate & that horrid grey jacket with rounded collar with black edging that my Grandmother insisted on buying.  I don't care for them much these days but I am a Stones fan. 🪕

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+beatles+in+adelaide+1964&qpvt=the+beatles+in+adelaide+1964&FORM=VDRE

Click on the first one.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I still remember the Beatles wig/mug/plate & that horrid grey jacket with rounded collar with black edging

I remember seeing the plastic wig and that jacket out on the streets in Geelong and vague recollection of the mug and cup in shops. I was more dreaming of winkle-pickers. (pointy-toe shoes) 😄 Instead I got hand-me-down bovver boots. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1