Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

I'd rather listen to death metal than most of the other shit out there these days. There's way too much depressing, pansy rubbish in the mainstream, or talentless hacks who last one song and are never heard of again. 

In saying that, I'd rather have LA's music scene. I don't know if it's the same now but in 09 when I visited, most of the band gigs going seemed to be hard rock style groups, as opposed to Brisbane where it's mostly death or thrash metal, or pansy rubbish. There's not much in between here. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, NewBrews said:

The first two 😊

I’ll skip the death metal, although the neighbour plays his loud enough at times. Probably on sacrifice days.

Nothing wrong with some Norwegian Black Metal or some Swedish Death Metal. The Scandinavians always knew how to play good metal. You probably wouldn't like my playlist 🙂 

IMG_4749.JPG.f22d709ea8f8e80f3cd5a299468b7651.JPG

• Haha 3

I was feeling uncool so I decided to brush up on the early Norwegian Black Metal scene...

It consisted primarily of young men, many of whom gathered at the record shop Helvete ("Hell") in Oslo. In interviews, they voiced extreme anti-Christian and misanthropic views, presenting themselves as a cult-like group of militant Satanists who wanted to spread terror, hatred and evil. 

In August 1993, several of its members were arrested and in May 1994 were convicted variously for arson, murder, assault and possession of explosives. 

On 8 April 1991, Mayhem vocalist and lyricist Per Yngve Ohlin (who called himself 'Dead') committed suicide via shotgun blast while alone in a house shared by the band.  Fellow musicians described Dead as odd, introverted and depressed. For performances, he made himself look like a corpse and would self-harm while performing.

Dead was found with his wrists and throat slit and a gunshot wound to his forehead by Mayhem guitarist Euronymous. 

Euronymous used Dead's suicide to foster Mayhem's 'evil' image and claimed Dead had killed himself because black metal had become 'trendy' and commercialized.  He made necklaces which he claimed as being made with bits of Dead's skull and gave them to musicians he deemed worthy.  There was also a false rumor that he had made a stew with bits of Dead's brain.

Mayhem bassist Jørn 'Necrobutcher' Stubberud noted that "people became more aware of the black metal scene after Dead had shot himself [...]; I think it was Dead's suicide that really changed the scene".  The suicide caused a rift between Euronymous and some of his friends, especially Necrobutcher, who were disgusted by his attitude towards Dead.   

Well, when a bloke called Necrobutcher is disgusted with you then you have to be fairly disgusting.  As for Dead's fellow musicians regarding him as 'odd' it is stating the bleeding obvious.   Cutting his wrists, slitting his throat and shooting himself in the head with a shotgun suggests to me he might have had a few self esteem issues but then his scene had become trendy and commercialized so who could blame him ?  

Edited by James of Bayswater

2 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

Well, when a bloke called Necrobutcher is disgusted with you then you have to be fairly disgusting.  As for Dead's fellow musicians regarding him as 'odd' it is stating the bleeding obvious.   Cutting his wrists, slitting his throat and shooting himself in the head with a shotgun suggests to me he might have had a few self esteem issues but then his scene had become trendy and commercialized so who could blame him ?  

A mate of mine is actually friends with Necrobutcher 🙂 

Euronymous himself was actually killed by Varg Vikernes, a former band mate. 

That scene was absolutely bonkers but they made some decent music. Mayhem, Dark Throne, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, etc.  

• Like 1

The curious thing Aussie is that Necrobutcher appears on a 'What's In My Bag ?' You Tube video where is makes a half a dozen CD selections from a music store.  Not only does he appear to be a very personable sort of bloke his selections included INXS, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, the Beastie Boys,  The Police, Ministry and the Rolling Stones.

I didn't see that coming...

Edited by James of Bayswater
  • Like 2

I think you'll find a lot of musicians listen to music that sounds nothing like what they actually play in their own bands. 

The whole satanist death cult shit is just an act designed to shock people, and maybe some take it seriously but they would be a very small minority. Most of those metalheads are probably some of nicest and most genuine people you'll ever meet. It's a community like brewers are. It's misguided views from those outside the scene that give them a bad name. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

That scene was absolutely bonkers but they made some decent music. Mayhem, Dark Throne, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, etc.  

I really liked Darkthrone's album "Old Star" that came out this year.

Upbeat Black metal. Give it time and that will be the latest sub-genre. Metal only has about 23,000 so far....

It's Metal FFS. It's simple music (some of it takes liberties there). It shouldn't need to resemble a genome map.

Edited by Lab Rat

8 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Upbeat Black metal. Give it time and that will be the latest sub-genre. Metal only has about 23,000 so far....

It's Metal FFS. It's simple music (some of it takes liberties there). It shouldn't need to resemble a genome map.

If there are no sub-genres then there will be nothing for metalheads to fight about online.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think you'll find a lot of musicians listen to music that sounds nothing like what they actually play in their own bands. 

The whole satanist death cult shit is just an act designed to shock people, and maybe some take it seriously but they would be a very small minority. Most of those metalheads are probably some of nicest and most genuine people you'll ever meet. It's a community like brewers are. It's misguided views from those outside the scene that give them a bad name. 

Blame the US fundamentalists. They never get it, because they are such dour, cynical, pessimistic, harbingers of doom and fear.

Alice Cooper was all theatre and satirical shock. He knew it was funny, so did his fans. Same with Black Sabbath. You wonder if any of the christian critics ever actually listened to their songs? Most of them were anti satanic, the ones that might have been were taking the piss like Cooper.

I think the hyper christians tried to ban Highway to Hell's cover in the USA as well as the title song. Which was actually about the long haul across the Nullabor to gigs.

Fast forward to Marilyn Manson. He pulled all the same tricks and became the 'most dangerous' influence on teenagers, ever. He was having a lend of everyone and everything that criticized him. Listen to any interview, a very smart dude.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 2

For some reason I thought The Babys recorded that unforgettable Countdown hit Baby It's You.    But it wasn't .  It was the band Promises.  I was always distracted by the female vocalist Leslie Maria Knauer who wore a mean pair of jeans, had a Bowie haircut, and a great set of .... lungs.   

I don't like the song but I always enjoyed the clip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

For some reason I thought The Babys recorded that unforgettable Countdown hit Baby It's You.    But it wasn't .  It was the band Promises.  I was always distracted by the female vocalist Leslie Maria Knauer who wore a mean pair of jeans, had a Bowie haircut, and a great set of .... lungs.   

I don't like the song but I always enjoyed the clip.

I just watched it for the .......lungs too 🤣🤣

• Haha 1