Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hairy.

OK Lusty' date=' you have a couple of recipes on here with some minor differences. Which one should I use as a base for my brew? Which did you prefer?[/quote']

Each incantation was nice for different reasons, but if I had to pick one above the others, the first recipe is the one I liked the most, & suggested to Scottie.

The recipe I listed in my initial post for an extract/partial brew is the one. When I did get around to brewing that recipe I upped the bittering addition of Centennial to 20gms up from 15gms. Apart from that, brew that as is with the 1318 yeast, & the double dry hop if you really want to emulate what I said I consider my best homebrewed recipe.

Since I know you're such a lazy arse when it comes to conversions tongue, if I were to brew this as an AG recipe, this would be my bill...

Suitable Pilsner Malt grain 2kgs

Aus Ale Malt grain 750gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal Malt grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain 100gms

CaraHell grain 200gms (love this stuff!)

Mash @ 68°C for 75mins

Centennial 20gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 10gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Remove Mosaic dry hop after 3 days contact & replace with 10gms of fresh Mosaic last 3 days of ferment.

Wyeast London Ale III 1318 fermented @ 20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

Drink it young for more of the Mosaic influence. After 7-8 weeks it'll start to turn more towards an EB.

Win/win. wink

We all have our preferences of "yum", this is as good as I've been able to make (so far) for mine.

I hope that helps Hairy.

Cheers,

Lusty.

January appears to be Mosaic Amber Ale drinking month. Yum Yum! love

This stuff is going down an absolute corker!!

Perfect mid-week tipple to have after work and some exercise. Smooth as. Though I think the drinking month will extend into Febuary somewhat. Half tempted to put down another brew of it actually....

Ok, this is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. I was planning on using the chiller but the tap water is still fairly warm at the moment so, without using a pre-chiller, I will shelve until it cools down a little. It also isn't a hop monster so no-chilling will be fine.

I have tweaked the recipe for no-chilling, for the ingredients my LHBS has on hand, 23 v 21 litre brew length and because I can't help myself. But it is very similar to Lusty's recipe and is the same in spirit wink

3.5kg - BB Ale malt

0.8kg - Munich I

0.35kg - Medium Crystal malt

0.25kg - Biscuit malt

0.1 kg - Chocolate malt (pale)

15g Centennial (AA 10%) @ 60 minutes

5g Mosaic (12.5%) @ 10 minutes

20g Mosaic @ Whirlpool

25g Mosaic - dry hop

Mash @ 68C

OG - 1050

IBU - 30

Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast

It has been a while since I have made an amber ale, I am looking forward to it. And I love Mosaic love

Hi Hairy.

I have tweaked the recipe for no-chilling' date=' for the ingredients my LHBS has on hand, 23 v 21 litre brew length and because I can't help myself.[/quote']

Given your no-chill method, I understand most of your tweak(s).

But it is very similar to Lusty's recipe and is the same in spirit wink

Given the only exacts you've used from my recipe are the 350gms of medium crystal & 100gms of chocolate malt' date=' there are very few ties to my original recipe. You're on your own with this one bud! [img']lol[/img]

On paper, quite a few differences, but should still yield a similar result............maybe! unsure

Of course I only wish you the best of luck with the brew Hairy. I hope it yields something you really enjoy. smile

Lusty.

Given the only exacts you've used from my recipe are the 350gms of medium crystal & 100gms of chocolate malt' date=' there are very few ties to my original recipe. You're on your own with this one bud! [img']lol[/img]

On paper, quite a few differences, but should still yield a similar result............maybe! unsure

Don't disclaim responsibility rightful

It is still similar enough to blame you if it tastes like crap biggrin

Hey Guys

I can see what Hairy is doing here. My version of Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale has not been put together with a tactical bent. However as Hairy says his is close enough so that Lusty can be blamed if it doesn't measure. What Hairy fails to say is that it is different enough that Lusty won't necessarily receive all the credit if this brew hits the mark banditlol

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey Guys

I can see what Hairy is doing here. My version of Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale has not been put together with a tactical bent. However as Hairy says his is close enough so that Lusty can be blamed if it doesn't measure. What Hairy fails to say is that it is different enough that Lusty won't necessarily receive all the credit if this brew hits the mark banditlol

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

wink

Don't disclaim responsibility rightful

It is still similar enough to blame you if it tastes like crap biggrin

lollol

As soon as Hairy posted his recipe' date=' I was onto him quick smart! i.e. when someone leaves the door slightly ajar, quickly jam a wedge in there to keep it open. [img']wink[/img]

Both brews have been documented, & the differences noted. I'm as safe as houses now! biggrin

Anyways, I consider Hairy a good friend here on the forum, so if he somehow manages to bollox it up, I won't blame him, I'll blame it on his new Grainfather. wink

It really is tough to get one brewer to brew another brewer's recipe without out changing it a little. I'm not sure why. rolleyes

It is just human nature; or our massive egos tongue

I reckon "Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale" has a better ring to it anyway.

Egos' date='... what egos? [img']whistling[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Anyways' date=' I consider Hairy a good friend here on the forum[/quote']

What? I thought it was more like Jerry Seinfeld and Newman. I am more like Jerry Seinfeld because he is witty and can't act, you are more like Newman because he is, well, Newman tongue

"Lusty" pinched

I reckon “Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale” has a better ring to it anyway.

You may recall from a different thread it is called Ladies Lusting after Lusty Amber Ale.

Anyways' date=' I consider Hairy a good friend here on the forum[/quote']

What? I thought it was more like Jerry Seinfeld and Newman. I am more like Jerry Seinfeld because he is witty and can't act, you are more like Newman because he is, well, Newman tongue

"Lusty" pinched

Hmm...interesting analogy Jerry...err I mean Hairy.

Perhaps the following Newman quote is appropriate here? unsure

"All right! But hear me, and hear me well. The day will come–Oh, yes! Mark my words, Seinfeld (Hairy) Your day of reckoning is coming when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face! And I’ll be there, in all my glory, watching–watching as it all comes crumbling down!"

(He laughs maniacally as he leaves)

biggrin

Lusty.

...It is still similar enough to blame you if it tastes like crap biggrin...

Brew was done today. There was a slight change to the recipe due to LHBS running out of pale chocolate malt.

So 100g pale Choc was subbed with 50g Chocolate malt and 50g Brown malt.

Whoop! There goes similar out the window! lol

Ohh well' date=' you should still smell the Mosaic Hairy. You did use Mosaic hops right? [img']unsure[/img] tongue

biggrin

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

I started cold crashing this last night and it tastes pretty good. So Lusty, you may escape with your reputation intact. I'm not saying what that reputation is though tongue

Started with an OG of 1054 and finished at 1012. I achieved a brewhouse efficiency of 80% instead of the expected 75% but didn't bother watering it down.

So it will be a little stronger than anticipated but I can deal with that.

Hi Hairy.

I'm glad your version of the beer is progressing well. happy

I too achieved good attenuation from the 1318 yeast (I used) as you appear to have with the MJ's British Ale yeast. I felt that helped make the beer quite refreshing to drink by not having a lot of body remaining as is often the case when using a lot of the British yeasts. It just seemed to present at a nice balanced level.

I'm definitely looking forward to your comments once at a suitable drinking stage. smile

I started cold crashing this last night and it tastes pretty good. So Lusty' date=' you may escape with your reputation intact. I'm not saying what that reputation is though [img']tongue[/img]

I wouldn't worry about my reputation too much Hairy. At this point, trying to improve that would be likened to throwing a cherry on top of a dog turd! lol

Anyways, back to researching "correct hook removal procedures". tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Started with an OG of 1054 and finished at 1012. I achieved a brewhouse efficiency of 80% instead of the expected 75% but didn't bother watering it down.

It's good to see your new system is outdoing your expectations. You'll have to rein that in with the coming brews. Fun' date=' fun![img']biggrin[/img]

It's good to see your new system is outdoing your expectations. You'll have to rein that in with the coming brews. Fun' date=' fun![img']biggrin[/img]

I am after consistency now. If I regularly hit 80% then I will be happy. Most of my beers use around 5kg of grain so it should be fine. If making a big beer then I will dial back my efficiency a little.

I am not overly concerned as they are not competition beers. A few gravity points here or there won't worry me.

I'm pulling down 85% consistently on 40L brews. This is = Aprox. 1.050 post boil OG with approx. 7.5 Kg of maltbiggrin. My system loses are 10L to MLT & MLT deadspace + 2L to trub with boil Evap. % @ 10. smile using Brewmate.

I'd be interested on the specs. on your grainfather. Just for brewing geeks sake!happy

Given how you can seemingly get away with lighter ABV levels with Amber Ales' date=' I reckon this recipe could work very well.

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

[/quote']

Lusty/Hairy et al.

Some advice for a novice brewer please.?

I have successfully done (and mostly drunk!) the Cooper's version of your Midnight Mosaic, vis http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/80/..

Now, they utilise:

• 1.7kg Original Series Lager Brew Can
  • 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
  • 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

whereas you only utilise:

• Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)
  • Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

i.e. I don't see the equivalent of the Lager Brew Can in Lusty's recipe? Sorry if this is a silly question!

I am keen to try Lusty's recommended full recipe (or close to) as per the first post in this thread. I'm just about to utilize Cooper's free postage offer. I already have a can of Amber Malt Extract in the cupboard; should I order a can of Original Lager as per Cooper's recipe? Or not?

Thanks guys

Alex

Hey Zeddy

A little unsure what you are looking for here, however you may be seeking to understand brewing with Concentrate (kits), Extract (Briess and Coopers Malts), All Grain (base malts) and partial mash (extract and grains). If the recipe of Lusty's that you are referring to is an Extract recipe then there will not be a Coopers beer kit involved. In this case Lusty uses Briess malt as the replacement for the Coopers kit along with a bittering addition of hops. Basically the concentrate can (Coopers Lager) is a bittered malt extract, you can get the same effect by boiling hops say for say 60 minutes in around 10 litres of water and malt extract.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

The OS lager kit would largely be made up of hopped pilsner malt, so there is a similarity.

Lusty adds his own specialty malts instead of using the amber liquid malt.

And I am not sure whether the Coopers recipe is based on Lusty's or whether Lusty just likes to mention that at every possible moment he can tongue

Archived