Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Magnaman.

G'day Brewers' date=' this is a kit & kilo brewers question, Does Victory malt need to be mashed? [img']unsure[/img]

It only needs to be steeped.

Here is a useful chart I use when checking malt grains.

I find it additionally useful because it also gives a colour spectrum.

A Home Brewing Malts Guide

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

I opened the lid on my DIY fermenter currently housing a version of my Mosaic Amber Ale for the first time earlier today. It smelled really good even before I hurled the dry hop addition in.

I'll probably keg it this coming weekend. cool

It's hard to know how the 1728 yeast & victory malt have impacted on the brew from my original recipe mix, but it certainly smells promising. love

Given how I very rarely brew the same recipe twice, I'm actually enjoying tinkering with this one, as I feel it is definitely one of my best brews so far. smile

I'll update next once it's suitably carbed up for drinking.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Great link Lusty - you certainly do your research well.

I reckon I missed this thread when you started it in January so I have just reviewed it.

I am missing the tasting notes, you said it was yummy, your brewing it again and you say that it will be your best beer ever - What kind of Yummy is it?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scottie.

Great link Lusty - you certainly do your research well.

Thanks for the kind words. smile

I looked at the BJCP guidelines for the Amber Ale style & had a think about how I would create those attributes in the beer. Once I thought I had an idea' date=' I posted the recipe & asked for opinions.

Our favourite Canuck gave me a tick on the malt bill, then Hairy said he liked the hop schedule, & Philbo said he liked the hop choice, so I became very confident I was on a winner with the recipe so to speak. And I have to say, after brewing it & drinking it, collectively [u']WE[/u] were right. biggrin

So much so, it makes one think of songs like

. lol

I reckon I missed this thread when you started it in January so I have just reviewed it.

I am missing the tasting notes' date=' you said it was yummy...[/quote']

Sorry I didn't follow up with that. innocent

If you want the honest truth about what to expect from the recipe, take a look at the pic I posted of the beer in the glass (Post#35 of this thread) & have a read of the BJCP guidelines for the style (above link), & that is pretty much what you should expect if brewing & drinking this beer recipe of mine. It has a reasonably common malt bill for the style (I think unsure), but uses some new world American hops combined with a British ale yeast that delivers a more malty profile (wanted) than most of the popular US yeasts. The Wyeast 1318 has a good malt profile, flocculates very well & clears well because of that, that's why I chose it for the first brew.

I'm trying the Wyeast 1728 in this most recent brew because it should leave even more body in the beer & a more noticeable malt profile along with it. It is said to also produce some other flavour complexities (as yet unknown to me), particularly once brewing in the 20-25°C range where some funky Belgian-like flavours begin to reveal themselves (or so I'm told). Comparisons have been made with this yeast to both the Wyeast 1388/WLP570 Belgian Strong Ale yeast strains.

...your brewing it again and you say that it will be your best beer ever...

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one that has seen "Scottie + best brew ever" in the same post before? unsurelol

Hehe! Sorry Scottie' date=' when you wrote that, it cracked me up! [img']lol[/img]

So much so, I had to chuck in a reference to some earlier posts of yours! biggrin

It's in my best 4 brews for sure Scottie. If being judged solely on balance, I would say yes, it is currently my best brew. wink

The malt flavour & hop profile balance of this recipe is in a spectrum I really enjoy. love

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 5 months later...

OK Anthony

I am getting closer to making this one. Just looking at my inventory and planning today's brew, so I took the opportunity to refine this one so I can place an order. I have decided against a partial and will go AG (looked up the spec on the Malt - I will leave out the Carapils based on the crystals). I nte your progression with the yeast and I will take your advice and use an English Ale. I will use Vivtory as per you current version and 100g of Choc as per your original. To save buying more hops I will bitter with Magnum - I could you Chinook if you think it would be closed.

Mosaic Amber Ale BL

2.25 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)

0.75 kg Pale Malt (6 Row) US (3.9 EBC)

0.35 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)

0.35 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC)

0.25 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)

15.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 20 min

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

Windsor

Mash at 67 degrees

IBU 34

EBC 29

ABV 4.7%

Target Brew Date 29/12/2014

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie. smile

I'm glad to read you're not far away from brewing a recipe similar to my Mosaic Amber Ale. Accepting the differences you've made to my recipe, if you have a bit extra of the Mosaic hop to spare, since you're not going to dry hop, do yourself a favour & double the whirlpool addition to 20gms. The hop is a really nice aroma hop. That's where I see its real strength, & what made the amber ales I brewed with it work so well. Using British yeasts make it hard for the hop character to shine so give this one a chance here I reckon.

The yeast you're using will head it more towards the English Bitter as I know you enjoy so provided it ferments out, should make the beer more appealing to you. happy

If you haven't ordered the grains from your supplier yet, perhaps sub the pilsner malt for Maris Otter to have it end up more British. wink

Hey, the latest Coopers ROTM suggests the combo works to some degree, so go at it with some confidence!

As yet I haven't had anyone brew a recipe close to one I posted, so will look forward to your review of it. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

As yet I haven't had anyone brew a recipe close to one I posted' date=' so will look forward to your review of it. [img']cool[/img]

Brew an AG version of it and I will copy it.

Not sure if that is incentive to go down that route but I will brew it if you do.

Anthony

I will Dry Hop, I'm trying to emulate your extract with AG.

That's where your confusing me, the Briess malt that you used is 99% Pilsen Malt. Your first brew used an English yeast and your second used the Scottish. I've actually got Nottingham (not Windsor) but as I am ordering the hops from CB I could opt for 1318,London Ale III, I've used it before.

Don't know why I went with 10g on every addition I think I've used part of recipe 1 and part recipe 2.

More feedback please and I will mod the recipe, after all it is basically yours.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Hairy. smile

Brew an AG version of it and I will copy it.

Not sure if that is incentive to go down that route but I will brew it if you do.

You're a far more experienced brewer than myself so can easily convert any of the recipes I posted on the Mosaic Amber Ale trail. rightful

Scottie has done a good job with his version of converting to some degree so perhaps work off his evaluations of it from here.

A bit of love from our/my favourite Canuck as well as Philbo & Kelsey here would certainly be welcomed in terms of an AG route as well.

Other than that' date=' considering you're only brewing every 3½ months these days, I'm sure you'll have ample time to figure the full conversion out for yourself! [img']lol[/img]

Cheers you lower weighted, lazy a#@e individual,

Anthony.

I can definitely convert it but it still isn't the same as brewing the same beer as you.

You have plenty of time. I have a brew already set down for January so I should be ready to brew your beer around June biggrin

lol

Obviously our thinking processes work around different time-frames.

Perhaps your new found healthy activities' date=' reduced brewing schedules & lower drinking levels require you to hire a beer recipe consultant to keep you up to speed? [img']unsure[/img] tongue

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Anthony

I will Dry Hop' date=' I'm trying to emulate your extract with AG.

That's where your confusing me, the Briess malt that you used is 99% Pilsen Malt. Your first brew used an English yeast and your second used the Scottish. I've actually got Nottingham (not Windsor) but as I am ordering the hops from CB I could opt for 1318,London Ale III, I've used it before.

Don't know why I went with 10g on every addition I think I've used part of recipe 1 and part recipe 2.

More feedback please and I will mod the recipe, after all it is basically yours.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

And I've only got just over two weeks whistling

Hi Scottie.

Anthony

I will Dry Hop' date=' I'm trying to emulate your extract with AG.

[/quote']

Being an extract/partial brewer I need to start off my recipes with a liquid or dry malt extract base, then build in the other flavours with grains that I am restricted to about 2kgs. As you well know, in the world of extract base malts, there's not a lot of choice, so I predominantly use either Coopers Light LME or a Briess Light LME as the base for almost all my recipes.

Most of the recipes I looked at for Amber Ales (primarily the American based ones) used a pilsner malt for the base.

I've actually brewed this beer 4 times now, I enjoy it that much. cool

The 1318 version if consumed young while the hop presence is slightly forward drinks like an Amber Ale. As it ages the yeast & malt characteristics begin to takeover & it drinks more like an English Bitter. The 1728 version was a whole different animal. That yeast has some very strong influential flavours including some smokey (yes smokey) flavours that leaned towards a Belgian style yeast & beer (IMHO).

I liked drinking it young while the hop flavours are prominent. I still remember how I felt the first time I drank this brew. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. The hop, malt & yeast combo just worked beautifully I thought. joyful

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey BL

I have all my ingredients now, so after Xmas I will be brewing this on.

I received my Mosaic Hops from CB today.

Drove to the THBS this afternoon and picked up 5kg of Joe White Export Pilsner and 1 packet of US05.

SWMO picked up some Caramalt from the Moonah LHBS. Victory and Crystal Malts from THBS already in stock at the Valey Brew.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Heya Scottie.

I'm glad you've finally bitten the bullet on this one. wink

To coin a phrase, the malt base in this one appears to be "right in your hitting zone" for the beer style(s) you predominantly like to brew & drink. If you like it with the US-05, then definitely try it again with one of the UK yeasts I've used with it so far, because that will turn it even more towards your much liked EB/ESB style.

On a side note, the Centennial bittering addition I've used with it so far works very well with the Mosaic. I decided to try the Centennial for this brew the first time around because it presented so well in PB2's Nelson's Light beer recipe that I still really rate. cool

I personally think Centennial is an excellent option as a bittering hop for more hop forward flavoured beers. wink

Centennial also has more versatility in your hop scheduling (IMHO) than something like Magnum does.

Cheers & good luck with your version of it Scottie!

Anthony.

Heya Scottie.

I'm glad you've finally bitten the bullet on this one. wink

To coin a phrase' date=' the malt base in this one appears to be "right in your hitting zone" for the beer style(s) you predominantly like to brew & drink. If you like it with the US-05, then definitely try it again with one of the UK yeasts I've used with it so far, because that will turn it even more towards your much liked EB/ESB style.

On a side note, the Centennial bittering addition I've used with it so far works very well with the Mosaic. I decided to try the Centennial for this brew the first time around because it presented so well in PB2's Nelson's Light beer recipe that I still really rate. [img']cool[/img]

I personally think Centennial is an excellent option as a bittering hop for more hop forward flavoured beers. wink

Centennial also has more versatility in your hop scheduling (IMHO) than something like Magnum does.

Cheers & good luck with your version of it Scottie!

Anthony.

Hey Anthony

I will sub Chinook in for Magnum, it is the closedt I have. Should've ordered some Centennial.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I will sub Chinook in for Magnum' date=' it is the closedt I have. Should've ordered some Centennial.[/quote']

I wouldn't sweat it Scottie. Just stick with the Magnum you have planned. That'll keep it nice & smooth. smile

On a side note, my slightly altered version of the Midnight Mosaic ROTM is fermenting away nicely. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Anthony

The brew has been down since Monday, smells great when I open the brew fridge.

I used Chinook as the bittering addition and I must admit this gave off one of the best aromas that I have experienced in the boil phase, the whole backyard smelt like a fruit barn.

Anyway apart from the feedback to you I am looking for another tip from you regarding your recipe. How many days did you Dry Hop for. I'm looking to keg this one Monday week, 14 days, and as fermentation is winding down I need to consider the timing of the Dry Hops.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie.

The brew has been down since Monday' date=' smells great when I open the brew fridge.

I used Chinook as the bittering addition and I must admit this gave off one of the best aromas that I have experienced in the boil phase, the whole backyard smelt like a fruit barn.

Anyway apart from the feedback to you I am looking for another tip from you regarding your recipe. How many days did you Dry Hop for. I'm looking to keg this one Monday week, 14 days, and as fermentation is winding down I need to consider the timing of the Dry Hops.[/quote']

I'm glad you're happy with how the brew is going so far. happy

When I first brewed this beer, I also did something different to my normal dry hopping routine.

I double dry hopped. Not double the amount, just put one addition in for 3 days, removed it, & replaced it with another addition of the same amount for the final 3 days prior to bottling/kegging it.

Adopting the technique certainly helped to produce a really good beer. How much of an impact it had, I do admit I can't be certain about, as I've not done any side by side testing of it. Not long before I put this brew together, I had watched an online video that explained a lot about hops & hop usage (to me at least).

I posted a link to the video, & a few of us had a bit of a chat about it here...

Hop Chemistry

Either try it in two doses as I did, removing the earlier addition after it's been in the FV for 3 days & then replace it with some fresh hops of the same amount for the last 3 days prior to bottling/kegging. If that doesn't suit you & you'd prefer to add them loose, I'd add the whole 20gm dry hop late at about 4 days prior to bottling/kegging.

I have my fingers & toes crossed for you on this one! wink

Lusty.

Hey Anthony

Tasted the SG sample on Wednesday and Dry Hopped on Thursday Night. First impressions of Mosaic are tropical fruit and very pleasant. Noticeable aroma even before the Dry Hop. Hops will stay until Monday afternoon and then its kegging time.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie.

Again, I'm glad you're pleased with how the brew is coming along. Wait til you get it in the glass! Yum! biggrin

On my home front, I've had the Midnight Mosaic Amber Ale ROTM crash chilling for the last few days & will keg it tomorrow, then probably pour one mid week.

I'm looking forward to sampling the kit based version with the hop schedule twist.

January appears to be Mosaic Amber Ale drinking month. Yum Yum! love

I'm looking forward to your critique of it down the track. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived