Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the heck would you want "dry" in an amber ale? ?

I've had some American Pale Ales that have a lot of Caramalts/Crystal malts as part of their makeup that resemble similar grists used for an amber ale, but the yeast used is a clean US yeast that favours the hopping & creates a somewhat drier finish in the beer with a lot lower levels of malt sweetness. Very enjoyable to drink, but definitely NOT an Amber Ale.

The way I approached my Amber Ale recipe was to build a similar grist to what might be used in an EB/ESB, stick with an English ale yeast strain that is malt friendly, but use some nice aromatic & flavoursome American hops at about 1/2 the rate I might use for a hoppy pale ale & dry hop the beer to make it more aromatic than is typical for an EB/ESB.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It won’t be dry that’s for sure. Mashed at 66 it’ll turn out around 1.011-13. 

1450 will leave body in the beer as it should be for a amber ale.

I find 1450 hard to explain as it does chew through the sugar but it leaves a nice mouthfeel behind. So dry but with body. Weird. 

Hope that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

If the Captain mashes his proposed grain bill at 66c and uses Wyeast 1450 then it won't result in a dry beer.

I probably should have quoted the post I was referring to. It was late & I was tired.

18 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yep completely understand that. I was referring to sweetness as FG. 1.008-1.011, not actual sweetness. Probably using the wrong terminology. Apologies. 

One of the reasons I like the 1450 is that it seems to hold the body of beer however it’s still dry if that makes sense. Which is why I think it’ll be good in an amber. 

I will think this over on the plane later today and make some more changes. 

I haven't used the 1450 as yet so will take the word of those who have. As I mentioned in my earlier post, you just want an ale strain that is malt friendly that will leave some body in the beer, not strip the shite out of it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Below is the descriptor of 1450 from the Wyeast website:

This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

Lusty, you should give it a go one day. I quite like it and have been harvesting it from starters to keep it going.

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

Below is the descriptor of 1450 from the Wyeast website:

Lusty, you should give it a go one day. I quite like it and have been harvesting it from starters to keep it going.

You don't often 'push' on many things Hairy so when you do, I take notice.

If you could pick a first style of beer to use this 1450 yeast on, what would you recommend?

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

You don't often 'push' on many things Hairy so when you do, I take notice.

If you could pick a first style of beer to use this 1450 yeast on, what would you recommend?

Lusty.

Mosaic Amber Ale

No, I couldn’t resist throwing that one out there. I’m not saying it will be better than an English yeast but it is suited to the style.

I use it in pale ales and have just used it in an American Red/Amber Ale. When using it in a pale ale I mash a little lower than usual as it definitely accentuates the malt.

I’m going to stick with my choice of yeast. 

I actually made a mistake by having the other yeast in my first post, it was automated from another recipe. This was always supposed to be 1450. 

After seeing the success of your recipe here I thought of this yeast as a number one choice for me. 

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

No, I couldn’t resist throwing that one out there. I’m not saying it will be better than an English yeast but it is suited to the style.

I use it in pale ales and have just used it in an American Red/Amber Ale. When using it in a pale ale I mash a little lower than usual as it definitely accentuates the malt.

Over here in Adelaide we have a Torrens river. There is a display part of it in the centre of Adelaide but if you keep paddling too far in this area you get sucked into drain type area that shall we say is not a "selfy" type photo opportunity. ?

Brew my recipe with the 1450, then talk shop. ?

Wayne & Garth can decide whether it is worthy. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Over here in Adelaide we have a Torrens river. There is a display part of it in the centre of Adelaide but if you keep paddling too far in this area you get sucked into drain type area that shall we say is not a "selfy" type photo opportunity. ?

I would respond but I have no idea what you are talking about. I did google Torrens River and still couldn't work it out. I must admit, it does look beautiful mate.

Torrens.jpg.06aaf76fd71d263763acc07cec6b898f.jpg

Archived