Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

Yes I am concerned about the fact that they spread and take over the garden' date=' and I am concerned about my ability to trim/cut the rhizome to keep them under control without killing them off.[/quote']

After they get through the first year they are pretty much indestructible. Dr. Smurto goes around his about a metre square with a shovel and cuts off any underground growth before it surfaces several feet away from where he planted, and other growers actually dig the rhizome up each year to trim then put it back in the ground. Trust me, once they are established you need to remove them as you would a blackberry. Loads of really strong herbicide. Stronger than anything you can buy in the shops.

My trelis is roughly 3m and they will get to the top of that in a few weeks time. Then they start to spread outwards and thicken up.

P2, you are right about the scary growth. I measured some of my bines last year and they were growing about 30cm while I was at work during the day. w00t

P2 makes note to himself: Stop looking at the glass and calling it half empty! Just drink the bloody thing.

I like that it is deciduous, and our bedroom is on a North west corner of the house, making it quite hot in summer. I suppose I should look into designing some sort of trellis arrangement that will make it more comfortable during the hot months. "No, Brunhilda, I didn't know these went into making beer. The man at the nursery said this was just the ticket to make you nearly human during the summer".

With summer proper rapidly approaching, do you think you'll need to commision a desalination plant to keep up the water to it? After all, it seems high 30s and low 40s seems a comfortable seasonal day for you guys.

BTW, that Dr S variation looks really good.

Hi P2.

From what I can gather, the monstrous tap root you mentioned in an earlier post means that an established plant can pretty much fend for itself.

I will probably just water it daily in the heat anyway, but I've heard that a 3 year old plant is pretty hard to kill.

Oh dear Philbo, good luck controlling them for the rest of the summer. I imagine they will keep growing like crazy for at least another couple of months right? You might end up climbing on the roof to harvest.

My little first year Perle is much more civilized. I've only got one good shoot out of it that is slowly climbing its way up the string to the trellis. It's probably about 1 metre in total length now. I'll be trying to train it sideways along a trellis mounted on a fence - have got 6 wires (3 heading left and 3 heading right) ready for bigger growth over the next couple of years. It's in part shade though which will slow it a little.

Hi Philbo.

I admit I don't know much about growing hop rhizomes, but do understand how to control & direct vine-like plants.

If you allow your hop rhizome to continue along that single wire train, you know full well they are going to reach the end of those in no time flat. So what to do?

My advice is to buy either a roll of chook wire or some wooden lattice & place it behind the wire trains you currently have in place. Untangle the hop vines on their current path & weave them horizontally either through the lattice or chook wire backing as wide as you can make, back & forth. Use a slip-knot tie for the end of the ever growing top end of the hop vine as a means of controlling the direction on a day by day basis, & if needed securing the vine at various points in desired directions during it's growth to hold it within your desired area.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd post a pic of my Perle plant.

perle_hops.jpg

Only got one good shoot out of the rhizome but it's going pretty well, branching out lots of sidearms. Takes a bit of training every couple of days to keep it wrapped around the horizontal trellis wires. I will likely be away during harvest this year but the main thing is to get it growing well so it's established for next year.

Nice job John. cool

...I will likely be away during harvest this year but the main thing is to get it growing well so it's established for next year.

Don't be away too long' date=' or it will have taken over your house by the time you return!

[img']http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101204193640/tardis/images/f/f8/Seedsofdoom_Krynoid_ravaging_house.jpg[/img]

Hop plants are related to Krynoids! tongue

Cheers & good luck with it.

Lusty.

Looks like your plant is off to a good start, Porschemad. Very green and healthy, should be a cracker next season for sure.

I am a mad gardener, studied horticulture for a couple of years and now just doing it as a hobby. I am currently growing many herbs, fruit and veges, but mostly chillies, chillies, chillies.

Planning on getting a couple hop varieties established this year, I have never grown any before and it sounds like a great way to combine 2 hobbies.

Cheers

Thanks guys.

Lusty, is that a happy snap of your rhizome's second year growth? innocent

You know if I was asked to bet on which plant would go wilder, my hop or my wife's climbing rose, I would have put money on the hop. That would have been a big mistake, her rose looks something like that picture at the moment!

Gardening is hard work but a lot of fun, especially when you can consume the end result! We've just finished eating a mountain of snow peas and now there's sweet corn shooting up, all sorts of herbs, strawberries, potatoes, watermelon, chili, nectarines and cumquats on the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well just bought 2 plants(15euros a piece). Said it was humulus lupullus so I googled that. First thing saw was humulus lupullus Cascade. When my plants arrived I called the company to make sure they were Cascade. All they can tell me is they do not know. Now the question is to plant or not to plant?

Anyway I was inspired when I saw the Hop Kiln(tent):)

Planted the 2 unknown varieties last week. Just received 4 Cascade plants, guaranteed females in the mail today. The space was already prepared so they went in the ground immediately. We are having good Spring weather so far so they should get off to a good start before summer.

• 3 months later...

VA6e3yU.jpg

This is my 3rd year Cascade bine that is ready to harvest. I am very happy with the crop this year. I also have a Centennial in the front yard that isn't quite as nice and full but not too bad.

I am planning on doing a Harvest Ale when I get a chance to pick and brew on the same day. The recipe I'm planning is along the lines of SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest ale.

Nice, they're looking good there Canadian Eh!

I planted a Cascade rhizome about a month ago and nothing has come up yet. Although it's still pretty cold where I'm at. Currently 8.5 C outside at 4:30 pm :( can't wait for when the real Spring starts which is the equinox in a couple of weeks.

bought 3 varieties on ebay this year, cascade, saaz and east kent goldings.

Planted them in large pots and plan to train them up to my balcony (2 pots) and along a fence.

Hopefully they'll go ok. My boss used to manage a hop farm so i'm getting advice from him :)

Didn't realise there were male / female ones though..... hope mine are the right ones!

bought 3 varieties on ebay this year' date=' cascade, saaz and east kent goldings.

Planted them in large pots and plan to train them up to my balcony (2 pots) and along a fence.

Hopefully they'll go ok. My boss used to manage a hop farm so i'm getting advice from him :)

Didn't realise there were male / female ones though..... hope mine are the right ones![/quote']

I'm pretty sure if you bought rhizomes they will be female.

A little off topic but I bought some Cascade plugs cheap to dry hop with and found they had seeds in them after inspection, looks like someones crop had gotten contaminated by a male.