Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

phew! that's a relief. They were rhizomes i bought.

And the reason for using (big) pots is that full sunlight for many hours is a bit hard to find because of house, neighbours trees, neighbours house...... this way i can move them a bit easier for next year if i have to.

Exciting stuff hey

There shooting up nice and healthy,

Ive got mine all in pots at the moment, ive got nugget, mt hood, cascade, perle and goldings there shooting up like crazy but not as big as yours so far! Ill send some picks once mine are growing up the lines...

Just started harvesting my cascade hops I planted in May. I filled a basket and put them in my dehydrator at 32c for 8 hours. They still felt a bit wet so I left them for 2 more hours. I ended up with 120g of dried hops. I cut one open and it smelled great. I will keep harvesting little by little as they do not all ripen up at the sametime, like tomatoes.

YaY my Cascade hops have finally emerged! w00t

Picture is from today the green part emerged about five days ago.

The red circles are two more sprouts just popping up.

The brown line is where I planted the rhizome a few inches deep some 6 weeks ago in early August.

I ran three strands of twine down the water tank stand today for them to climb.

9xu1YFc.jpg

Hey Gang,

A couple of weeks ago we harvested our hops from the garden. mwj5yExl.jpg

I must say it was a pretty impressive haul. All up we picked 570g of Centennial (wet) and 2.9Kg of Cascade (wet)

8hfWY7Im.jpgqC8hmcom.jpg

Within minutes of the cones being picked they were into the kettle

ATh9D9Tm.jpg

Harvest Ale 2015OG 1.050

40 Litres Golden tap water

8 Kg Pale Malt

.6 Kg Crystal 60L

.15 Kg Acid malt

55g Centennial pellets(60mins)

150g Centennial Fresh leaf (30mins)

150g Cascade Fresh leaf (30mins)

415g Centennial Fresh leaf (0mins)

415g Cascade Fresh leaf (0mins)

56g Cascade Dried Whole leaf (dry hop) after 14days

4 Litre WLP051 (California V)

The gravity sample tastes pretty darn good!smile

Very relieved to see my cascade rhizome finally threw up some shoots a few days ago, thought it may have been cactus..

Canadian Eh!L, your harvest looks fantastic there! I didn't know you could use them fresh, does this work out alright? I seem to remember reading somewhere this resulted in a grassy effect?

Hi Heady!biggrin

My bines are only three year old plants so this is the brew I have done with wet hops so I can't say for sure what it might turn out like. I do know that there are several breweries that make fresh hop Harvest brews. The suggested hopping with fresh hops is 5-8 times that of dry weight. I'll try and let you know.wink

That looks like a nice harvest there Canadian Eh!L thanks for the pics.

Not sure about the possums headmaster I do know they (the brushtail possum) love fruit and all manner of other things food related hopefully the hop cones are too bitter for them.

Rabbits would be my biggest threat while the shoots are small and I rarely see a possum. I don't think the Koalas will bother them wink

• 3 weeks later...

I just placed an order on ebay for a rhizome each of Hallertau and Fuggles. I have no idea whether this will be a success or not but I'll give it a go anyway just for shits and giggles. At least my yard has heaps of space to be able to plant them in the ground and put up some type of mesh or trellis to grow them on. Might start them in pots first though. If it works then great, if not, there's always next year.

Brisbane might not be the greatest location for decent harvests from what I can find around on Google etc. but the plants themselves shouldn't have any issue growing. Will be interesting to see how it goes in any case. smile

Cheers

Kelsey

I just placed an order on ebay for a rhizome each of Hallertau and Fuggles. I have no idea whether this will be a success or not but I'll give it a go anyway just for shits and giggles. At least my yard has heaps of space to be able to plant them in the ground and put up some type of mesh or trellis to grow them on. Might start them in pots first though. If it works then great' date=' if not, there's always next year.

Brisbane might not be the greatest location for decent harvests from what I can find around on Google etc. but the plants themselves shouldn't have any issue growing. Will be interesting to see how it goes in any case. [img']smile[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

Cool! You should be right starting them in decent sized pots for the first year, then transplant at say the beginning of September next year.

My Perle is going well, all 6 shoots that I kept have gone a fair way up the trellis. I trimmed off all the lower leaves (and some more shoots that keep popping out) and sprayed for bugs. So I guess they're not organic any more. They do need some more sun though, it's been so rainy in Canberra for the last week!

Yeah, that was my thought process too. They are on their way though, so I better get some pots sorted! And then work out the best place in the yard to grow them. I have one idea so far. Problem is there is a scrub turkey in residence and it may well rip the poor things out before they get a chance to grow properly unless I cover the pot with some sort of protective cage. The cage might act as a mini trellis too.

When do you expect to be able to harvest flowers from yours, John?

My rhizomes did in fact arrive yesterday (sorry Aus Post!) but I was not informed by the olds that they had. Anyway, not to worry, I have planted them in large pots now after getting back from Bunnings with said pots and some potting mix. I gave them one full watering can each, but it is rather rainy up here at the moment so might not have to water too much over the next few days. I did get a couple of pics although not much to look at yet. lol

Top: Fuggles, Bottom: Hallertau

11063822_10208329283538296_249385997811818962_n.jpg?oh=b75641fed604b387923e3325dd9debfb&oe=56C317BD&__gda__=1451624347_b9fd2da076597e8288f1b0209a5990a7

A little shoot poking through on the Fuggles

12190089_10208329360620223_2310885032397536201_n.jpg?oh=e3cfd32e411dbe8d389fbfc789c32401&oe=56C9D780

Left: Hallertau, Right: Fuggles. The mesh covering because we have bush turkeys that like to dig up bloody pot plants, so hopefully that will keep them out of it.

12196326_10208329361460244_3033005450734047014_n.jpg?oh=4c416cefdf10b53a1289cefd143ca767&oe=56C29572

No idea when or if I'll get flowers on them but it should be a fun little experiment all the same. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey.

Where did you end up purchasing your rhizomes from?

No idea when or if I'll get flowers on them but it should be a fun little experiment all the same. happy

It should be interesting to see what a cross between Otto man & a certified groundskeeper Willie can do with them! tonguelol

Good luck' date=' I'm sure you'll do very well with them.

I'll look forward to a few pics over the coming months.

P.S. I've read the first season yields aren't the best, but the yields improve dramatically in the following years.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']