PhilboBaggins

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

Mine have not really taken off. Good initial growth but seem to have stalled. Will look for a more suitable spot next year.

1 hour ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Wow you don't really get much once they have dried weight wise. Do you use it gram for gram to pellet or do you have to use more flowers per a brew?

Yeah, about 10% more by weight.

Wow you don't really get much once they have dried weight wise. Do you use it gram for gram to pellet or do you have to use more flowers per a brew?

My Goldings went gangbusters and is 4-5 metres along their stringline.  But my Cascade and Red Earth are only about 2 metres high and are starting to set flowers.  Not sure why they didn't grow so well.  Gave them plenty of fertilizer, plenty of water, trimmed the excess shoots, etc.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My Goldings went gangbusters and is 4-5 metres along their stringline.  But my Cascade and Red Earth are only about 2 metres high and are starting to set flowers.  Not sure why they didn't grow so well.  Gave them plenty of fertilizer, plenty of water, trimmed the excess shoots, etc.

You have done well SOS.

My 1st year POR's are about a metre so far (still growing) and I will be ecstatic if they get to the top of the frame (2.4m) this year.

• Like 1

Just thinking about this. If i get any crop from mine which i doubt this year. Could i dry the flowers in one of those food drier thingys?

37 minutes ago, Titan said:

Just thinking about this. If i get any crop from mine which i doubt this year. Could i dry the flowers in one of those food drier thingys?

That's how I did my hops last year.  I got a few hundred grams from six first year plants.

• Like 1

Preferably slow dry them on a coat hanger or a screen, in a room, with a fan blowing on them for air movement so they don't mold. Treat them delicately to preserve the terpenes and flavenoids or volatile oils. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John304 said:

Have to have a go at this one day, sounds interesting 

Definitely worth a go mate. 3 or 4 days ago i had about 100 cones formed. Probably 150 now. They come on so fast. Even for a 1st year plant that i have.

• Like 2