Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

All plants love rainwater. I'm experiencing similar to Popo, we just had about a week of rain and the lawns are looking terrific but last time I was at the olds the hops hadn't done much growing yet. Perhaps they will fare better now that the weather is sunny and hotter. In any event, it's better doing this than having them shoot up to the top of the trellis by the end of October and be harvesting most of them before Christmas like last year ?

I read that hops are water hungry plants.  Can use around 5 litres per day, especially in hotter weather.

I only have six plants.  Two Cascade, two Red Earth and two Goldings.  I am in the Dandenong Rages on the outskirts of Melbourne.  The cascade are a good metre along their string line now along with one of the Goldings.  The other Goldings and the two Red Earth are small bushes still and have not sent up their strongest bines yet.

Not hoping for much from mine this year. My Perle is going absolutely gangbusters but there's a million snow pea plants surrounding it also going nuts, so I can't get in there to trim the shoots properly. Guess I'll just let it kill them off, then see where it's at. And somehow convince my wife never to plant like that again lol! 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

Seeking advice about my second year hops.

Went to check out my hop plants yesterday: Hop garden below:

433511677_Hopgarden.jpg.95c29e4fd21014750c82b71ece58a94c.jpg

I noticed that my Cascade plant while growing well from the original crown position has also started to shoot at the edge of my borders.  See lower left of photo.

I mulched them with grass clippings a few weeks ago when I noticed some roots poking out of the dirt surface.  These shoots appear to have run under the grass clippings, hit the border and then emerged.

I have already cut the plant back to the main three shoots in the middle.  What should I do with these other shoots coming up away from the plant?

Cheers Shamus

226800494_WildHopPlant-Cascade.jpg.c6b42ef0ae871fc8772121f57ae4fcd6.jpg

• Like 3

Leave them be. Let them grow a bit more, see how it looks, you may need to trim a few bines back once the thing starts really growing. Mine has popped its head up in various locations all over the planter box it's in, but that's as far as it's got so far. Slow start for sure, especially since it went mental in its first two years.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Titan said:

Plants have arrived and are looking healthy.

Hey Titan

Make sure you keep the pots moist, or at least do not let them dry out, until you get them in the ground and the sooner the better.  Don't expect much this year.  You should get a small harvest, enough to give you a taste.

Cheers Shamus

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My Cascade plant has finally decided to actually do some growing. There are a lot of small clusters like the ones in the first pic (sideways, sorry ?) all over the planter box, but there is one proper shoot that has popped up now. I expect more will follow in the coming weeks.

OVB, I reckon yours are gonna go nuts ?.  I hope you have a good frame for them to climb.

You can see my Cascade in the photos above and I just got that from one such cluster.

Cheers Shamus

Yeah this is a third year plant too so the root system is well established, just in time for me to rip it out next winter and take a few rhizomes to wherever we end up buying and start all over again ?. It's currently still at my parents house, as I was living there when I  first began growing them. It went nuts last year earlier due to an unusually hot early October, harvested most of the cones before Christmas I think. Looking like a more normal situation this season though. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Titan said:

Cheers Shamus, yep looking at info online. Didn't realise how big these things grow. Need to find a good spot for them in the garden. @Greeny1525229549 how big is that pot and do you get a crop from them?

Its a half wine barrel mate. Took about 4 bags of potting mix. Its a first year plant which i will plant out in a space in the ground next year. Reading online some say you can get a decent crop from doing it in pots but im sceptical. If i can get enough for 1 or 2 batches from the 1st year ill be happy enough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first Hop Frame. Looking fairly/very Agricultural!! 

Amazing what you do with a few lengths of timber, star pickets, bailing twine & a nail gun.

They are starting to get a wiggle on so got into it the other day to ensure they go up rather than along the ground.

We have an issue with rabbits hence the wire guard.

2063018112_Hopframe.thumb.JPG.05e926432485b94081eda7ddcb1d7e92.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 7:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Went to the olds today to drive the lines back into the soil for the coming season, and the Cascade has one bine that has started climbing now. Hopefully more to follow by the looks of the clusters of shoots. Third year plant this one.

IMG_20181109_105258.thumb.jpg.55fab136473b284a9ef18e18ff49aa3c.jpg

I don't understand the reason for the mesh.   Can you enlighten me ?

40 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

I don't understand the reason for the mesh.   Can you enlighten me ?

Bush turkeys. They like to go digging around areas of bare soil or anywhere else that looks good to them that isn't the lawn. I may not need to use the mesh at our house, just depends if the stupid dog decides to make it a digging area as well...

We never did in the city in any great number either until about 10 years ago. Now the bloody things are everywhere, and one decided to build a mound in the olds' yard around 7 or 8 years ago. That original one is long gone now but others have unfortunately taken his place, so they're still there being a pain in the arse. I don't know whether they would have dug up the hop gardens but I decided to put the mesh on them just in case. Better to stop it before it happens than deal with a big hole where the hops should be.

• 1 month later...