Coopers Community

3 More Bottle Brews!

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I've finally decided to bite the bullet & move over to kegging my beer. I already have my plans ready for a "Keezer" build for the kegs, & a design to build a small serving bar that will go well with the two large wine barrel tables I've just acquired that I'll paint & stain up.

As spare cash is fairly tight for me most of the time, I'll have to stop brewing for a while to aid in financing everything a bit quicker. I've got enough base malt to get me through another 2-3 brews, so my oaked vanilla porter is going in a FV this weekend, & then I'll prolly do an IPA & an APA to finish off my brewing for a while. I have a good 3 months worth of bottled stock piled up already, so the timing is good.

I'll start a new thread with a few pics of what I'm doing once I'm up & going. It won't be a quick transition, but it has to be up & going before I run out of beer!! Hahaha! :D

I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Dear Mr Beerluster

Congratulations on your excellent choice/decision. I think it is a very good idea to run down your bottle stocks as you will find it hard to continue with bottled beer once you tap that first keg, believe me on this one I have got bottles of home brew that are well over 18 months old. Its a bit like when, give me break you younger ones, when I got my first CD Player in 1988; from this day on I just couldn't force myself to listen to Vinyl.

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. :)

As for the keezer' date=' where are you going to put the temperature probe - assuming you will use an old chesty with an aftermarket controller?[/quote']

Considering the freezer is really being used as a fridge, simply allowing the temp probe to measure & control the ambient air temp is all that is needed, unlike when you are fermenting beer where you need to monitor & control the brew temp of what's in the fermenter, this is simply controlling ambient temp around your kegs. I'll probably run it up along the lid of the freezer, & let it dangle down a few inches. Or maybe I'll simply strap it to the wall of the freezer. You can probably set the temp controller to quite a low temp (0°C or lower initially) to quick cool your kegs, or simply leave them in there for a good day or so at your required temp. There will be a bit of trial & error I reckon given different situations. I'll pick the brains of a few of our resident keggers for a "best approach". :)

Mr. Beerluster

Haha! :D

I've wanted to keg for a while now' date=' & the timing is good for it atm. :) Oddly enough, I reckon I might still bottle the beers I wish to age. We'll see about that one though. (insert unsure icon)

...I have been tossing up whether to get a kegerator or build a keezer. I will follow your thread with interest.

I'll admit, I thought Khellendros13 did a great job of his Keezer, & I learned a lot from his thread. As far as my Keezer build goes, it's going to be very similar.

Khellendros13's "Keezer" Build thread

On a side note, it's a shame he's not around here on the forum anymore (That I am aware of?). He seems to be more involved over on AHB these days. I thought he was quite an interesting guy actually.

As a point of difference, my bar & barrel build stuff, you guys might find the pictorials of that interesting, when I get around to it. :P

I can't wait to get started!

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

Good morning, Mate! Way to make the move. You won't regret it. I haven't bottled a beer since I moved over to kegs.

My simple kegerator set-up was quite affordable. For around $250 (fridge was free) you can be into a two keg, two tap set-up.

If you return all of your bottles for the deposit you'll probably be well on you way to being able to afford your keg set-up.

Good luck.

Archived