Coopers Community

ABV Calculator?

MrFez

Hi Guys

I'm enjoying the new web site but one thing which I think would be a great help is a calculator to determine the final alcohol content of our brews.

I have seen them on opposition web sites but they seem to disappear as soon as I find them.

Thanks for the support guys.

Ben the pint.com.au calculator is exactly what I was after (and its Australian), thanks for that.

Whilst its easy for us to leave this site to get calculators I think the people at Coopers would agree they would like to keep things in house and retain a captive audience. The addition of these calculators on their 'Members Only' area would be a win win I think (IMO).

Must go now, I have a new brewing site to explore

Dave

Thanks for the support guys.

Ben the pint.com.au calculator is exactly what I was after (and its Australian)' date=' thanks for that.

Whilst its easy for us to leave this site to get calculators I think the people at Coopers would agree they would like to keep things in house and retain a captive audience. The addition of these calculators on their 'Members Only' area would be a win win I think (IMO).

Must go now, I have a new brewing site to explore

Dave[/quote']

I've noticed the ABV calculator in the Create A Brew section of the members area, in your own profile. I've put up a few of my recipes and came in with similar ABV's to calculations from elsewhere. However, it doesn't account the ingredients (I don't think it does anyway) and requires both the OG and FG which is a little late in the process.

IMO, a calculator for the OG and FG from the ingredients would be gold. Any suggestions for these elsewhere?

(OG - FG) x 0.13 + 0.3

All you need to know.

NB. The multiplying factor (0.13) changes depending on the difference between OG and FG but unless you're really pedantic about it, 0.13 is good enough for pretty well all beers. The 0.3 addition on the end is for the priming sugar.

As for a calculator for gravity readings based on ingredients, a brewing spreadsheet like IanH's or a program like Brewmate or Beersmith would be your best bet. There are too many variables to produce a "one size fits all" calculator and these programs account for these.

And just for the hell of it, if anyone is interested in a formula to work out standard drinks:

ABV as a decimal value X volume of container in mL divided by 12.5. (12.5mL of alcohol is a standard drink).

e.g. a 5.5% beer in a 375mL stubbie is 1.65 std drinks.

0.055 X 375 / 12.5 = 1.65. ;-)

I find this handy for working it out at the pub when buying beer off tap.

• 3 years later...

Just to add to the confusion, my formula is a little different but the results are not far off.

(OG-FG)/7.46)+.5

Use whole numbers. OG might be 1.050 and FG 1.010. Forget the decimal point. So in my example it would be 1050-1010 = 40. Divide by 7.46 and you get 5.36. Add .5 for the bottle carbonation and you end up with 5.86% ABV.

Now I know my example is a fairly good full strength beer so don't worry about that.

Just find it is an easy formula to follow, and you don't have to change anything like you do in Kelsey's formula. No offence Kelsey, just trying to make it easier for a newbie.

Cheers

Bill

None taken mate. I also use whole numbers in my calculation, but if I used the SG with a decimal then the factor itself would be a whole number.

The reason I use different multiplying factors for different strengths is due to this little passage in the HMRC alcohol calculation write-up:

f is the factor connecting the change in gravity to alcoholic strength. The value of 'f' is not constant because the yield of alcohol is not constant for all fermentations. In lower strength beers, more of the 'sugars' available for fermentation are consumed in yeast reproduction than in producing alcohol. The table at 30.3, produced by the Laboratory of the Government Chemist, shows the changing value of 'f' depending on the alcoholic strength of the beer.

Interesting one Kelsey. I've just bottled a Weissbier that was 1051 - 1008. So with my method as mentioned above, it would be 5.63%ABV before carbonation. Under the HMRC method it comes in at 5.46%ABV. Always allow .5% for carb so I have either 6.13% or 5.96%.

Dunno if I could tell the difference between those two levels of alcohol, especially once I've had a couple. I can certainly see the reasoning behind it. Guess it wouldn't be too hard to write an excel equation to work it out.

Cheers

Bill

I use these to work something out as a rough guide:

Calculate Measurement of Standard Drink -

Size of glass or bottle x Final Gravity Measurement divided by 12.5 equals Quantity of Standard Drinks

Example:

325ml (Headmaster) of 5.2% alc =

325 x .052 = 16.9 / 12.5 = 1.35 standard drinks

500ml (½ litre) of 5.2% alc =

500 x .052 = 26 / 12.5 = 2.08 standard drinks

Calculate % of Alcohol -

Original Gravity measurement minus Final Gravity measurement divided by 7.46 equals Final strength of beer (+0.5 if bottled)

Example:

OG 1048 – FG 1010 = 38 / 7.46 = 5.09% keg 5.1% (or + 0.5 if bottled = 5.59% 5.6%)

Or you can go: OG - FG = x 131.25 for kegs plus .5 for bottles

Calculate Apparent Attenuation %

OG-FG / OG x 100%

It doesn't take into account the influence of the lighter density of alcohol in the solution after fermentation and therefore the actual amount of attenuation will be lower than apparent attenuation) Formula used: % = ((OG-1) - (FG-1)) / (OG-1) x 100%

Calculate Actual Attenuation %

Apparent Attenuation % x 0.814

I may be corrected but this is what I use in my spreadsheet.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I have made a homebrewing calculator site called

TheBrewList.com  

which has a simple ABV calculator. At the moment it allows Specific Gravity, Plato and Brix inputs and it will instantly show you the ABV, ABW, calories, real/apparent attenuation and the real extract.

Here's the link to the calculator  

if you want to check it out. I also made hydrometer and refractometer correction calculators which will make your results more accurate.

Cheers,

James

Archived