Coopers Community

The twelve beers of Christmas

PB2

So, I mentioned in a previous post that I was gifted a dozen bottles of various beers from a mate as a "thanks" for the help I have given him over recent months.

First up, being Christmas Day and all, Secret Santa - as mentioned in a previous post, this is a Belgian Quadrupel @ 10.5% ABV. Can't make out the writing on the back of the label coz it's in Danish.

Gives the impression of "toffee in a glass", low fizz and a hint of spice like that in a Christmas pud'.

<a href=i8z5.jpg' alt='i8z5.jpg'>

Sorry, a bit behind with the reports...

Old Thumper - plenty of hops to this one, both spicy and resiny with rich Maris Otter malt characters. The label claims it is "A Beast of a Beer" but I found it to be nicely balanced and at 5.6% ABV, very more-ish.

<a href=vc5o.jpg' alt='vc5o.jpg'>

Lust - another beer by the Danish brewery (Amager Bryghus).

A Belgian Strong Ale @ 9.2% ABV with very low carbonation (I used a syringe to build the foam in the glass). Displays chocolate and a sort of muscat character with a toffee sweet finish - like chewing on a cobber but liquid and alcoholic...for me, the drinkability of this one is way higher than Secret Santa.

<a href=http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/824/6tk1.jpg' alt='6tk1.jpg'>

[/img]

Hi PB2.

Lust - another beer by the Danish brewery (Amager Bryghus).

I like her style! (I just thought I'd throw that one in there! :D)

I'm beginning to think you should have named this thread, "The Twelve Days of Teasing" PB2! :P

Your generous friend seems to have very good taste in imported beers. The 3 so far look very YUM!

I'm just hoping after the Twelve Days of Teasing are over, that your sampling of these fine brews inspires a beer recipe or two out of you for a Coopers ROTM PB2! :D

I'm enjoying the posts.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Funnel Blower - a 4.5% ABV brown porter brewed by Box Steam Brewery in Wiltshire (I guess he threw this in coz his ancestors are from this area).

Yep, there is a pronounced chocolate and vanilla aroma - a bit like the smell of an eskimo pie (is this ice-cream still available??). Fairly thin brew but has a firmish finish from the roasted malt tannins and hop bitterness.

Sort of like a milder version of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. The image looks dark but when held up to the light, it is slightly darker than a ruby ale such as Hobgoblin.

<a href=http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/199/qfat.JPG' alt='qfat.JPG'>

[/img]

Nice descriptors on the Funnel Blower PB2.

+1

I agree. :)

I sampled this a little over a month ago. At 4.5%ABV you can't expect it to be overly full bodied for a Porter style beer. I enjoyed what it gave at that ABV, but when looking for something more along the lines of a TRUE full bodied Porter, I would pass this one by.

If you like dark style beers, but have to behave yourself on the night & this beer is available, highly recommended. ^^

Cheers,

Anthony.

Golden Pride - another huge ale at 8.5% ABV!!

I get honey like malt and spicy hop aromas, a warming blend of sweet and bitter lingers after each mouthful. Found it interesting that it left my lips feeling a bit sticky...

<a href=http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/585/e89k.jpg' alt='e89k.jpg'>

[/img]

Bitter & Twisted (it is from Scotland, ha!) - unfortunately, this one was just beyond its Best Before so I imagine the hop characters would be more overt and lively in a fresher version.

Never the less, it showed a good blend of citrus and spice hop characters with malt sweetness. At 4.2% ABV, it would be a great session beer.

<a href=52xz.jpg' alt='52xz.jpg'>

Hmm, image shack has upgraded itself and I'm having a bit of trouble with managing the phot size.

Sorachi Ace - firstly, I have to admit that this beer is not part of the dozen. I bought it to replace one of the dozen, a wood aged strong ale, which is set aside to share with the bloke who gifted them to me.

A saison brewed with Sorachi Ace hops, 'tis a lively bugga with aromas of lemon and I get a hint of vanilla. Soft mouthfeel, finishing dry with an aftertaste subtly like juniper berry but they're not mentioned on the label.

At 7.6% ABV, it's a bit slippery but considering it is primary fermented with a Belgian yeast and secondary with champagne yeast, I reckon it was an excellent "bubbly" for welcoming 2014!

emut.JPG

Possibly the best beer I've tasted this year...

Sea Monster - madeira like aromas, whilst not overtly alcoholic. Low fizz and syrupy. Tastes of Ristretto and dark chocolate with a sweet and bitter (perhaps slightly astringent) finish.

Kicks your head in @ 10% ABV. Weirdly, it tastes even better if the bottle is turned around to hide the label??

9a66.jpg

Possibly the best beer I've tasted this year...

Sea Monster - madeira like aromas' date=' whilst not overtly alcoholic. Low fizz and syrupy. Tastes of Ristretto and dark chocolate with a sweet and bitter (perhaps slightly astringent) finish.

Kicks your head in @ 10% ABV. Weirdly, it tastes even better if the bottle is turned around to hide the label??

[/quote']

Wow! Best beer ever tasted, eh? Is it an Aussie brew?

Great thread, PB2!

Hey Adam, I can remember being pretty amazed with the beer-pouring machine in the JAL lounge at Narita. Can't remember the beer (I think it was 'alright') but the process by which it was delivered into the glass was amazing - place glass onto tray, mechanical arm grabs glass, tilts it to about 30 degrees, moves it under nozzle which about 70% fills it, then tilt angle changes, and a bit more is dispensed, and so on, until it's full with a nice foaming head, and the arm extends out and hands it to you!

That's going back over 10 years ago, so the Mk 2 version must be out now! :-)

Am I the only one who noticed Paul's big call of the best beer he has tasted in the last 34 hours & 18 minutes??? (insert any one of various emoticons)

Yep, you probably were. Nice pick up.

The Ballast Point Big Eye IPA is available at most bottle shops now and is a great drop. I have heard good things about the Sculpin IPA too.

Keep 'me coming Paul.

A collaboration between Holgate and Nøgne Ø breweries - from the spiel on the label, I think it was brewed at Holgate then sent to Norway?? Anyway, this bottle managed to find its way back to Tassie and finally to a good home - my place!

Half a World Away - sweet caramel aromas mixed with marmalade undertones, a gorgeous creamy head with soft mouth-feel combining rich toffee flavours and lingering bitterness. Yum, yum!

At 9% ABV, they call it an "Imperial Red Ale". I call it as the best beer I've had this year :)

<a href=bkwc.jpg' alt='bkwc.jpg'>

Has Scottie taken over PB2's identity?

The "Best beer I've ever had" phrase is flying around quite frequently in this thread!

(insert some sort of tongue in cheek icon)

Haha! :D

I'm enjoying the thread.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Shallow Grave - this is all about the dark malts. Moderate fizz, chocolate and anise aromas - a bit "cough lolly" but in a good way (like Black Crows - you could buy them in the 70s. I think that was what they were called??).

More choc, caramel and anise flavours. Leaves my lips feeling sticky so the residual sugar is probably high.

Weighs in at 7% ABV, which makes it a heavy-weight amongst robust porters.

<a href=http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/545/00co.jpg' alt='00co.jpg'>

[/img]

' date=' Secret Santa - as mentioned in a previous post, this is a Belgian Quadrupel @ 10.5% ABV. Can't make out the writing on the back of the label coz it's in Danish.

Gives the impression of "toffee in a glass", low fizz and a hint of spice like that in a Christmas pud'.[/quote']

Have you heard of Hop Dog Brewery, it's in Nowra, NSW? They brew a Secret Santa as well but, alas, it was sold out before I could score some this year. If you haven't tried HopDog beers then I suggest you do. They are amazing.

Happy New Brew!

Dene

Old Burton Extra - this started off in the glass as a bit meh, but only because it was too cold. Once it began to warm a bit, the spicy and floral aromas began to jump out of the glass!

This is an amber ale with low fizz (another reason for serving not too cold) and carries slippery sweet malt on the palate with just enough bitterness to clean up behind itself.

Although it is a big 7.3% ABV, I would have another if it were on offer!

<a href=6jfm.jpg' alt='6jfm.jpg'>

Archived