Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking

Scottie

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mattrox

That looks like a nice brew, well done.

Now I've goy myself onto a straight out K& K, long time since I've been here. I can Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale and1 kilo of Coopers LDM. Brewed at exactly the same time as the Yorky above, two FVs in tandem. It is closer in taste to a Lager than an Ale and doesn't have that distinctive Belgian Yeast taste.

I now have two beers on tap that do not contain multiple hop additions devil.

In a simple word' date='

TWANG = OFF[/quote']

No John

Its not off, you can drink beer with Twang but you can't drink beer that is off. Ramjet is really close with his definition. Here is my tasting:

Smells like beer, no hop aroma, but nice and malty on the nose.

Tastes like beer, nice level of bitterness and nutty on the palate.

But it's the finish, it doesn't fit with the sampling so far, its undesirable, like its part of a different beer its a twang.

+1

If I was describing how home brewed beer "Twang" presents, Scottie's description is about as good a description as you'll get.

The "twang" is not noticeable as an aroma. I can detect it in the mid to late palate, but as Scottie states, it primarily presents & is obvious as an undesirable after taste.

P.S. Get back on the hop beer trail Scottie! It's not like you live that far from Bushy Park! lol

wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

been lurking for a long time on and off and been brewing for a couple of years now.

bottled lots in the last month

Coopers Dark Ale

Coopers Wheat beer

Coopers extra strong English Bitter

Amber Ale

Bottling a Tyneside Brown Ale tomorrow

and have a

Caramalt IPA in the 2nd FV

I tried a few of the new Coopers Artisan Reserve Pilsners earlier

BUT now i'm drinking some Feral Brewing Hop Hog IPA's

Sorry Coopers but in my humble opinion this is the best beer in Oz

been lurking for a long time on and off and been brewing for a couple of years now.

Coopers Dark Ale

Coopers Wheat beer

Amber Ale

and have a

Hi Simon.

If you like the Hop Hog and ever have a chance to go to the Feral Brewery, be sure to try their cask aged Hop Hog. Wow! Just smoothes it out a little and turns it into an exceptional beer. Very very nice.

I am a big fan of what they are doing at Feral.

Moved house twice in the last 6 months and moving and homebrewing ain't a great idea if you use bottles!

Glad to have 4 batches in the bottles now and should be 5 tomorrow.

Have made 3 beautiful batches of the Coopers IPA in the last 6 months using Morgans Caramalt Amber Malt cans.

They all turned out beautiful, hence why i put another in the FV yesterday.

Very much looking forward a couple of months to see how long they last! hehe (probs only a week)

Next weekend i will post here to tell you how my English Bitter turned out! (first attempt at it)

didn't do the standard recipe though as i like a bit of a kick and thought a can of liquid light malt was the go).

Hehehe

actually the pic is of my Ford V8 Supercar paintjob in an online racing simulator called Iracing.

Iracing.com

it's an awesome simulator with plenty of road and oval content to keep any racer entertained racing against others worldwide.

No computer AI!

Anyways it's only on a Ford because there is no Holden on the service as yet, (will be later this year)biggrin

Coopers Dark Ale

Coopers Wheat beer

Amber Ale

and have a

No apologies - drink commercial beer, make and drink your own beer and stick your opinions up on the forum.

Oh, and good to see you on board!

Philbo do you think you could post some instructions on your belgium?.

Absolutely NSB. Belgians are probably at the top of my list of favourite beers along with English ales. Probably in the opposite direction of most brewers on the forum, but I think I overdid the American style hops earlier on, and now prefer maltier/yeastier beers.

Mine is an AG, but could easily be made from extract. That's the great thing about Belgians. As long as you choose a good yeast and leave any strong hop character out of the beer, you will have a lovely beer.

Here's the exact recipe (23L):

Grain bill:

5kg Weyermann Pilsner Malt

600g Munich I

250g Wheat Malt

500g White Sugar

90 min boil

30g Styrian Goldings Hops (FWH @ 90min)

25g Styrian Goldings @ Whirlpool

Fermented from 21-24c with Wyeast 1214 Abbey Ale yeast

OG = 1.065

FG = 1.008 (1214 is a monster)

IBU = 18.7

You could make this with extract easily. I'd probably (off the top of my head) use a can of pale LME, a can of wheat LME, 500g LDME, and 500g-700g sugar, with a hop schedule which gets you just under 20IBU. Use a good Belgian yeast, and ferment in the low to mid 20s. The temp is important, as you really want the yeast to do its thing. Just like a good English yeast, if you ferment at 18c you won't get the right flavours from it. If you can't get 1214, then 3787 is great, but you'll need a blow off tube or a mop, as it goes ape shit.

Hope you try some Belgians mate, they are an absolute beauty to brew.

Thanks Phil, I hope to both decode and make that soon!

Speaking of what one is currently drinking, I left work ofg friday and walked past the liqourland. They have this big bourbon promotion. I am not shy of a tipple of kentuckys finest.

They had Jim beam triple aged from $50 to $33. I must say its lovely to sip.

Has anyone tried the Cage Roads Abstinence - Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale? Doesn't work for me. Seems to be completely unbalanced. I'm finishing that longneck as I type.

I picked up a bottle today but then put it back down and got a big bottle of Chimay. Does that rhyme?

Mr Rooster, The inevitable small stack on boxes of Abstinence was still at the Bottle-O today when I visited. $4 something a bottle so I thought hang it, Ill get one, its $4!. Upon tasting I have to agree with you somewhat, it is very caramelly, although once warmed up and allowed to sit a while its not so much. I think its something you can drink in small doses. I do like the caramel vanilla, I think one needs to share a bottle with someone else, one glass at a time is probably enough. I wouldn't say its Chocolate though. $4 odd for 640ml bottle is darn good, might go back and buy a box.

Sneaky early taste - not you Ben!? - of a Chinook Belgian Pale fermented with Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale yeast.

The yeast was a cracker, done in two days. I left it for a few more, FG was 1.004. Comes in at 5.7% and is very nice.

Malty and spicey.

Mangrove Jacks Belgium Ale - another unfortunate departure from Coopers and an unfortunate departure from partial mashing. Kit Twang - yes , so I am not actually drinking it any more. The Yorkshire Bitter's twang isn't as bad - so I'll have to choose the lesser of two evils. Need to ramp up production, declare a beer free month or check out the bottle shop offerings.

I feel your pain mate. I have been sorely disappointed every time I ventured from a Coopers kit to someone else's.

The only time it worked was a Black Rock American Pale which is a cracker of a can.

Last can I put down is a Mosaic Ale - TC Sparkling + Mosaic and is lovely.

I have 2 wonderful smelling brews in the fermeezer and 100kg of grain sitting in my laundry.

Hop Burglar - What a saving grace. Found a couple of bottles from my July 2013 Brew (kegged 19l bottled 1.5l). This one is a keeper, well its going to be hard to keep it. This has a lovely citrus aroma and a passion fruit citrus kick - In fact this is closer to a LCPA than my four attempts at cloning it.

This was not an LCPA attempt

Hop Burglar

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

0.7kg Coopers Light Dry Malt

250g Medium Crystal (120EBC)

10g each of Columbus and Simcoe at 45mins, 20mins, 8mins and Dry Hop on day 9.

OG = 1.038

Wyeast 1056

FG = 1.008

4.5% in the bottle

An amazing hop schedule. From memory it wasn't too bad from the keg, probably a little more bitter.

Has anyone tried the Cage Roads Abstinence - Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale? Doesn't work for me. Seems to be completely unbalanced. I'm finishing that longneck as I type.

I picked up a bottle today but then put it back down and got a big bottle of Chimay. Does that rhyme?

Mr Rooster' date=' The inevitable small stack on boxes of Abstinence was still at the Bottle-O today when I visited. $4 something a bottle so I thought hang it, Ill get one, its $4!. Upon tasting I have to agree with you somewhat, it is very caramelly, although once warmed up and allowed to sit a while its not so much. I think its something you can drink in small doses. I do like the caramel vanilla, I think one needs to share a bottle with someone else, one glass at a time is probably enough. I wouldn't say its Chocolate though. $4 odd for 640ml bottle is darn good, might go back and buy a box.[/quote']

Got me 3 bottles of this Abstinence stuff to try today from Dan Murphys @$4.49 a bottle.

In the fridge now

BUT i tried a bottle of my Coopers Wheat beer.

I added about a gram of ground coriander seeds to the FV the day after i made up the batch in the FV.

All others of Coopers Wheat beer never seemed to turn out quite right to me but this one is by a mile massively better!

Must put some more in the fridge!

Got me 3 bottles of this Abstinence stuff to try today from Dan Murphys @$4.49 a bottle.

In the fridge now

Simon, Let us know what you think. I just cracked another about 15 mins ago and I taste more chocolate this time not so much caramel. I must say this time I am finding the bitterness a little stronger and a bit more balanced against the sweetness.

Philby

Just cracked open a bottle of the Abstinence Belgium Dubbel Chocolate Ales.

Smells strongish! Good start.

Can definately taste a caramel as it hits my tongue!

Tastes rather strong also but i suppose it should at 7.4% alc.

Definately has some of the Belgium Dubbel/Trippel taste of a few different Abbey beers i have tried.

Can sorta taste a little chocolate but the caramel smell and taste takes over in my opinion!

Not a bad drop.

At $4.49 a bottle maybe a carton is a pretty good buy i think.

Tempted to buy a few cartons just so i can make a whole batch of some sort of Belgium Ale and put them all in the same bottles with the same wicked labels!

All up i reckon these would go down bloody well once the weather cools down a bit!

Archived