Coopers Community

Ye Olde Bier Recipe

JohnE9

I am trying to emulate what it might have been like for a brewer in the middle ages or even earlier. Like a labourer building the pyramids in Egypt. And getting a fair amount of his pay in beer.

First take your barley, in whatever containers they used then ( hemp sacks?) and moisten it to start the seed sprouting but not to the first visible leaf stage. To convert the starch to sugar.

Stop the sprouting process by heating the barley in an oven. Extended heating could have produced dark grains and led on to producing stouts. Crack the grain in probably a flour mill using heavy mill stones.

Add water and yeast. Easy peasy. No hops. Maybe some hemp heads.

All this guessing leads me to believe that bread makers/ bakers were the first master beer brewers as they had control of the grain grinding, yeasts and ovens.

Hey Hairy, like to come up with a basic beer recipe like they did in the olden days?

Hi to the Charmhaven Chum

Here's a recipe I found while googling around at this website. It was made in 1333/34 in the household of Elizabeth de Burgh, Lady of Clare, for the members of the household, and recreated using some modern ingredients. It seems we staff had to drink the weak ale recipe [crying]

Clare Household Strong Ale

(Makes 7 to 9 litres)

8 lbs., Hugh Baird brand English Pale malt

1 1/3 lbs., (Baird) Pale malt, roasted.

For darker ale, roast to amber: 30 mins. at 225 F. followed by 30 mins. at 300 F. For lighter, roast an hour at 225 F.

around 3 lbs., oats (rolled)

14 to 16 qts., water (main batch)

14 will produce 1 1/2 gallons of ale; 16 will produce 2 gallons

6 to 8 qts., water (second runnings)

1 pkt, Danstar brand Nottingham ale yeast

1 pkt, Danstar brand Windsor ale yeast

Just tell me when to come and taste it, John, and whether period dress is required.

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the info about milady's bier. I don't think I'll be making it because it talks about quarts and pounds. Sorry, I don't understand that lingo anymore even though I was brought up on it as a kid. Chad might be able to translate the recipe into L's and kgs.

Oh, by the way if you wanna come down for a tasting in beautiful

Charmy, you can wear anything you like. Speedos or come in the nuttie if that turns you on.[rightful]

Chaddles old chap,

That video/movie/film is the greatest and most important I have ever seen. Ever ever. Better than Charlton Heston as Moses in the Ten Commandments.

Now just rustle me a recipe like those old time Egyptians used.[kissing]

Thanks fellas for all the recipes, NOT, apart from Phil's contribution.

It seems I am gunna have to go down to the local produce store, buy a bag of barley, sprout it, oven bake, crush, and then add water yeast and hops.

How easy is that?

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

I am trying to emulate what it might have been like for a brewer in the middle ages or even earlier.

Hey John

What do reckon beer tasted like back then [unsure]

Without temperature control I often wonder how they managed the to hold the right temperatures for the mash let alone the fermentation. What consideration did they give to yeast management, you know I don't even think they knew yeast was an ingredient in their beer.

It is interesting when you see the way modern home brewers approach beer making today, I can't imagine anyone in the middle ages doing it like that and I also wonder what the main objective was for brewing beer back then [bandit] .

Johnny,

I'm glad you like the video.[cool] I enjoyed watching again as well.

I am trying to emulate what it might have been like for a brewer in the middle ages or even earlier.

Hey John

What do reckon beer tasted like back then [unsure]

Without temperature control I often wonder how they managed the to hold the right temperatures for the mash let alone the fermentation. What consideration did they give to yeast management, you know I don't even think they knew yeast was an ingredient in their beer.

It is interesting when you see the way modern home brewers approach beer making today, I can't imagine anyone in the middle ages doing it like that and I also wonder what the main objective was for brewing beer back then [bandit] .

Scottie,

I guess you didn't bother to watch the video I linked. It answers all the questions you just asked.[roll]

Archived