Sign in to follow this  
Summy

Hobgoblin - AG

Here's my modified recipe of an all grain version of Hobgoblin. A very tasty English Ale

23 Litre Batch. ABV 5%. 30 IBUs. 40 EBC colour

5.83 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.34 kg Crystal, Medium

0.11 kg Black Malt

0.06 kg Chocolate Malt Pale

58.29 g Fuggles [3.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15.90 g Fuggles [3.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min

14.84 g Styrian Goldings [4.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

15.00 g Fuggles [3.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min

14.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.0 pkg Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187)

Methinks I need to get some Styrian Goldings after trying a few beers that use it. I've got everything else that's in that recipe! [lol]

Thanks Summy!

Methinks I need to get some Styrian Goldings after trying a few beers that use it. I've got everything else that's in that recipe! [lol]

Dude, I can't believe you haven't already. Awesome hop. [cool]

Dude, I can't believe you haven't already. Awesome hop. [cool]

Me either to be honest, although at the moment there isn't any room to store any more so I have to use up what I've got before buying any more. [crying]

When I do though I'll probably do a double buy - get an order from Yakima Valley and an order from Hop Dealz for some other varieties. Should keep me going for a while.. need to get more 20L tubs for storing base grains too.

Last Christmas I was back home in the UK and Hobgoblin was on tap everywhere for some reason, served cellar temperature through handpumps. I really didn't care for it, preferred a Cumberland Ale that was also flavour of the month in my home town.

How was the recipe modified and where's the original source? and whats with the weird weights i.e. 58.29g of Fuggles [lol]

What level are you carbonating this to? the cask version is almost flat which I struggle to emulate and have enough serving pressure from the keg with English ales, I generally have to keep switching off the gas after a session.

Whats your mash schedule and subsequently your expected FG? From a cask this has a really nice full mouth feel but out of the bottle I find it a little thin and over carbonated for an ale.

I really like this beer. I've only tasted it out of the bottle and for my taste is awesome. I've never sampled it as Graham describes "on tap, cask temp & hand pumps. This sounds amazing!![w00t]

I'm interested to hear about this one. I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

I like it too Chad. I've been going through most of the English beers at Dan Murphy's and it's my favourite for sure. I also tried one called 'Old Fart' which was really nice.

I haven't found Fullers ESB anywhere local yet, and I'm dying to try that one.