Coopers Community

Apple Cider

AdamJ6

Ok so this may be faux pas[unsure] , however, the wife has requested a Sweet Apple Cider (upset I wont settle for a plain Cerveza now I am beginning to experiment). I have read that is easier and more cost effective to use a good apple juice but beyond that I can't seem to find any consensus on something decent. You guys have directed me fantastically with my beer so I am hoping someone here (and/or wife) has a taste for it and would be willing to share their recipe.

Hey Adam,

There are a few threads on here with plenty of different methods, check this out http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=7035#post7035

There was another good thread, which ill post for you. With the 3 ciders ive done (so not the most experienced) to get a really sweet cider the key is plenty of lactose...

Cheers,

AB

• 1 month later...

I thought I would dig this one up opposed to starting a new one.

I eventually decided to go for pure apple juice recipe. I was still unsure what recipe I was going with right up until brew day. I asked the LHBS guy for some advice who suggested Vintners Harvest SN9 Cider yeast which is meant to be good for a sweet result and a small amount of lactose.

I ended up with:

18 Litres Golden Circle Apple Juice

SN9 Yeast

250g White Sugar

60g Lactose

I tasted it after a week, its quite dry despite me repeatedly reiterating to the LHBS guy that it needed to end up sweet which has left me annoyed, but that is another matter.

So now I ask, does anyone have a good suggestion on back sweetening? Is it possible or does it totally ruin the taste? I have a fair amount of lactose left over and I would need to use a non-fermentable as I will be bottling it as a sparkling.

Sweetness in a naturally carbonated cider is a hard one.

Lactose may not be the best idea as in many people it is indigestible - lactose intolerance - and can cause bloating and discomfort.

My last cider I used Vintner's Harvest Yeast - CY17 and out of the FV it tasted fabulous, still some slight sweetness and a very good apple taste.

Good luck and let us know how yours is.

BTW I used the Blackrock Cider can, good value and nothing but juice.

Sweetness in a naturally carbonated cider is a hard one.

Lactose may not be the best idea as in many people it is indigestible - lactose intolerance - and can cause bloating and discomfort.

My last cider I used Vintner's Harvest Yeast - CY17 and out of the FV it tasted fabulous, still some slight sweetness and a very good apple taste.

Good luck and let us know how yours is.

BTW I used the Blackrock Cider can, good value and nothing but juice.

Thanks for the reply, Ben.

I'm wondering if a higher OG may have helped. I wasn't sure if it would or just bring the alcohol content higher.

Lactose shouldn't be a big issue with those likely to drink it but as you say, enough consumption will cause discomfort and for a refreshing drink, it is the opposite of what I am trying to achieve.

I was considering something like Splenda, Stevia or Equal but am finding it hard to find any reliable information on taste, fermentability etc. I am really at a loss. It wouldn't really bother me but the wife likes her beverages almost sickly sweet.

I might give the can of goop a go next time for a comparison.

Adam

My wife is a bit of a cider lover so I have often experimented with kits. Mangrove Jacks (Kiwi company I think) have just bought out a new craft series of cider kits tht you can brew sweet, semi sweet or dry. They provide you with a sachet of sucralose I think so that at pitching time you can add to sweeten. It also offers the flavours of apple berry, pear, spices and apple. I currently have down an apple berry cider as it is 5.6% and figured it would gove the cider lovers a kick over Xmas. It has a speciality cider yeast and comes in a soft pack as opposed to a can...

Mangrove Jacks (Kiwi company I think) have just bought out a new craft series of cider kits tht you can brew sweet' date=' semi sweet or dry. They provide you with a sachet of sucralose I think so that at pitching time you can add to sweeten...... It has a speciality cider yeast and comes in a soft pack as opposed to a can... [/quote']

+1

I just downed a couple of the Mangrove Jacks Craft Series Apple Ciders that I bottle back in August. Very nice, easy to do. The sweetness with the sachet is a bit of guess work first time around. I added about 3/4 and is a little sweeter than I would like - not sickly but sweet. [unsure] It is all personal taste.

They are not super cheap though. [pinched] About $45 for this one but I have done cheap ciders before but they don't rate in comparison.

I did see those packs but thought I could do a job just as well, if not far off.[pinched] . I think I will give this one a crack next time. There isn't a whole lot of reliable info around for cider.

I tried to add a syrup of lactose which turned out a failure. I followed the same process as I do for my bulk priming but apparently lactose 'sets' (or more likely, I did it wrong) so I didn't get much additional sweetness in.[annoyed] .

I will give Otto's suggestion a crack if it isn't enough. At least that one is fool proof.

• 4 weeks later...

just thought I'd chime in here..I know this thread has laid dormant for the past few weeks. I'm interested in making a cider. Haven't ever done one before, but I'm sure the missus wouldn't mind me making something more for her tastes [biggrin].

I would prefer to stay away from kits. They're pretty expensive, but I guess they would make a better brew?

My tastes and the missus tastes are similar. We find Rekordling ciders just too sweet for our liking. But then again, something like Strongbow probably too dry...so we would prefer something in between. I came across this recipe. Interested in the thoughts of others out there. This makes 20 Litres...or just under..

9.6L Apple (Juice)

9.6 Apple & Pear (Juice)

Juice of 2 lemons

1L of Strong Liptons Tea

400gms Honey

Mangrove Jacks Brewing Yeast Cider Yeast M02

1. Steep tea bag in about 1 Litre of boiling water, add juice of lemon and honey. stir honey until dissolved.

2. Cover with cling film and let cool down.

3. Fill fermenter with juices (this should equal 75% apple and 25% pear)

4. Add Honey Lemon tea liquid.

5. Pitch yeast

Primary for 14 days (16-24C)

Comments on the level of sweetness would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil

What is the juice and where did you get it from, and how much did it cost?

I am yet to find a well priced juice free from acidity regulator / preservatives or flavours, non of which I want in the cider I make.

As a result I still use the Blackrock can, which @ about $25 and containing only juice is good value. Add a wine yeast (SN9 this time)- I prefer them as the flavour is better IMHO, and 1kg white sugar and that is the nicest cider we have made.

Keeping it sweet is another issue altogether.

The recipe may be okay, why the ice tea?

I haven't made this yet or purchased anything. I merely found this recipe on AHB and was interested in the thoughts of everyone here. I have read on AHB that "Berri" and "Just Juice" brands are the go but I haven't checked this out for myself. I've also read that Juice from Aldi is good. Once again, I haven't checked this out for myself yet.

Again, the ice tea I'm not sure of. It was just in the recipe that I found. The recipe owner suggests, "The acid in the lemon and the tannins in the tea make this a super thirst quencher while the combination of lemon and honey give it heaps of character."

Sounds pretty good to me [biggrin]

Found out why the tea option is good, as well as the lemon option. This is from the Northern Brewer site - http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/cider.pdf

Optional: Add acid. Most juice, especially juice made from later season apples, will have a lot of sweetness, but little acid. Acid helps to balance the cider by adding sharp, crisp character. Small amounts of malic acid can be added to taste, up to one tablespoon in five gallons. To ensure more accuracy and repeatability, consider measuring the pH or using an acid titra-tion kit to determine approximate acid content. Remember, it's always possible to add a little more, so err on the side of caution.

Optional: Add tannin. Tannin helps the ciders "grip" and structure. These are sensations more than flavors, but can add wonderful complexity to the finished product. Start small, as it doesn't take much to get the desired effect. Liquid or dry tannin can be used to equal effectiveness. Remember, it's always possible to add a little more, so err on the side of caution.

Interesting. Also to note, Just Juice (the brand) juices have no preservatives or additives. So they look the go!

• 1 month later...

Yes they do turn out well.

Wife is drinking a Rosella and Apple cider, we have a plain apple in bottles and a Raspberry / Apple in her FV just finishing now.

Generally dry unless an artificial sweetner or non fermentable sugar is used.

I may try one with some crystal malt and see what that brings to the party.

• 1 month later...

Hi PB2. smile

A cider kit is something that we have had on the radar over several years. In development' date=' we are yet to make something that we are happy with. [img']sideways[/img]

We haven't given up on it..........

I guess all apples ain't apples? wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 8 months later...

Afternoon All.

I'm about to try a cider (Black Rock) and was wondering how a Belle Saison yeast work work with it? I was thinking that it might give a more fruity flavour and suspect the pack contains a conventional ale yeast. Yeast which is only specified as "premium" doesn't tell me a lot.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived