Coopers Community

4 Pines Pale Ale

Summy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pale ale. I think it is one of the best Aussie brewed APA's going around.

The website gives you the ingredients and stats but thats is all. There will be a bit of guess work in it.

4 Pines Pale Ale

Are you planning on a kit, extract, partial or AG brew?

BTW, the LCPA isn't my recipe, it was from here:

Beer & Brewer - Little Creatures Pale Ale Recipe

I agree with you wholeheartedly Hairy.

I bought one for the first time about 5-6 weeks ago after I knocked off from work (the bottleshop), & liked it that much I went back in & bought a couple more! [love]

All the statistics for the beer are listed there on the website link Hairy provided if you wanted to have a crack at making a version of it, except the EBC.

Seeing this post earlier this afternoon, I bought a bottle when I knocked off, & am going to pour it in a glass (shortly) & compare it to a brew I am currently drinking that I know the EBC for. That will give me some idea of the amount of Munich & Crystal that is perhaps being used in the beer.

I still hadn't made up my mind on what I was going to brew this weekend, but seeing as how I have all the ingredients necessary, I might have a crack at re-creating something like this. [biggrin]

I'll post a recipe in this thread once I've had a look at it's colour in the glass, & been able to crunch a few numbers.

Cheers for posting the thread Summy. [smile]

Good one! [cool]

Anthony.

After having this beer the last two weekends straight, I think it is a new fav and is on par with LCPA as the most enjoyable session beer.

So I'm glad this thread has come up because I have been hunting for a clone but didn't manage to find one.

Fortunately my extensive experience in AG brewing (two BIABs, one of which is still in the FV) decided to just go with it and tonite put in an order that went like this:

ALE 4.3

Munich .5

Crystal .6

Wheat .5

25 Citra planning @60

10 Citra @10

7 Amarillo @10

7 Cascade @10

10 Citra @0

7 Amarillo @0

7 Cascade @0

Have not locked in a yeast as plan to ask the LHBS for recommendation.

After pouring it in the glass, I certainly got an idea on a rough EBC & a few other aspects of the beer.

There is certainly an emphasis on bitterness, somewhat of a lack of hop character in the middle palate, where the malts seem to be at the forefront, & a definite hop aroma on the nose. EBC seemed to be around the 15 - 20 odd mark given my view of it against a 23 EBC brew of my own concoction. The malt bill seems to be very slightly on the sweet side as opposed to being on the malty side. To me if composing a recipe, the malt bill should reflect that.

The other point of interest to me that I failed to mention in my previous post, was the unknown of the yeast used. To make things even harder if trying to replicate this brew, when poured there is an abundance of suspended yeast in the glass. My guess is they bottle condition the brew (with a separate yeast) AFTER primary fermentation. The thought of S-33 did make me giggle! [lol]

Not an easy brew to replicate, but I reckon a brew with similar characteristics would not be as hard as most might think. [wink]

Here's my first crack at something like it anyways...

Extract/Partial recipe:

Coopers LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 350gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 400gms

Aromatic Malt grain (I don't have Munich) 250gms

Medium Crystal grain 250gms

CaraAmber grain 250gms

6 litre hop boil:

Citra hop 15gms @ 60mins

Cascade hop 20gms @ 30mins

Citra hop 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Amarillo 15gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Citra 15gms dry hopped

Cascade 15gms dry hopped

Yeast = Unknown (I'll probably use US-05 because I have some)

Brewed to 23 litres.

IanH's spreadsheet says...

OG = 1.049

FG = 1.013

IBU = 34.3

EBC = 18.3

Bottled ABV = 5.1%

How close it will be to the original, I don't know. Regardless, it should still end up a tasty drop. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks to Hairy for clarifying the LCPA resource.

Beerlust is right in saying there's a slightly sweet taste to it.

I think i will follow my usual recipe but swap goldings for Citra and maybe Nelson Sauvin to finish instead of Galaxy

I'll also give Anthony's suggested recipe a go, looks like a winner

Summy

I forgot to put some beer in the fridge so I called into Dans on the way home.

Decided to grab some Aussie brewed APAs and one was the 4 Pines Pale Ale. Definitely reinforced that this is a great beer [love]

One other beer that I bought that I think is up there with the best Aussie brewed APAs was a Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale. It's a classic beer.

Aussie craft beer is some of the best beer I've had.[love]

Agreed.

Now I am not not the harshest beer critic. I generally like most beers (some more than others though). But I have had some 'craft' beer that was truly awful and thought "I make better beer than this".

It makes you feel good [biggrin]

Hi Hairy.

One other beer that I bought that I think is up there with the best Aussie brewed APAs was a Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale. It's a classic beer.
+1

I loved it. [love] My work tried it as a line, but the price point scared most away unfortunately. Thus we had to drop it.

As far as any AUS heavily hopped craft beers go, I thought this was the closest at the time to rival some of the Sierra Nevada beers on the market.

Matilda Bay have not helped their cause with this beer by not promoting it for what it is. Matilda Bay make some great beers, but shoot themselves in the foot continually by not promoting them more heavily to the public as something they should be drinking.

Anthony.

Well, went ahead with this tonite and have it in a cube in a tub of water right now and has been there for an hour.

Got a couple of small questions/concerns that I just wanted to run past the forum.

I adjusted my water to 35 litres to account for the extra grain but when I filled the cube it is about half a litre or so short from full. Should I be concerned about this not being full and having a bit of air head space in there?

If this an issue, I have 3 FV\u2019s so I can put this down tomorrow, but I only have 1 ferment fridge (wine fridge) and have a LCBA clone in there that has been fermenting for 1.5 weeks so may have a bit to go.

I did read somewhere that temperature variation within reason during the latter part of fermentation has little effect on the end flavour, is this true?

So should I drop the 4 pines clone into a FV in the fridge and take the LCBA clone out, or just wait it out with the cube head space?

I usually squeeze the cube to get the wort to the top and then cap it.

It shouldn't be a problem to leave it a few days in the cube with a little headspace. I just wouldn't store it that way long term.

Hi Hairy.

+1

I loved it. [love] My work tried it as a line, but the price point scared most away unfortunately. Thus we had to drop it.

As far as any AUS heavily hopped craft beers go, I thought this was the closest at the time to rival some of the Sierra Nevada beers on the market.

Matilda Bay have not helped their cause with this beer by not promoting it for what it is. Matilda Bay make some great beers, but shoot themselves in the foot continually by not promoting them more heavily to the public as something they should be drinking.

Anthony.

Totally agree with this. It's a bloody good beer although it is expensive.

I've asked my LHBS to get some Citra in so i can make the 4 Pines Pale Ale.

Also, taste tested the PM LCPA i brewed - Fantastic. I think i will continue to brew this, and variants thereof. Adding more late hops

Yesterday I threw down the recipe I listed above. 75min mash, 60min boil, used the US-05 yeast. All went smoothly. It's currently bopping away nicely @ approx 20\xb0C. [happy]

I'll post more info on the brew come bottling day, & once I've had a 2 week taster. [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Made this recipe on Tuesday night. 90 min mash @ 65\xb0 in 12L of water (Double brew size). Pitched @ 21\xb0 and now fermenting in the bath @ 19\xb0. It doesn't fluctuate at all when using the bath.

Wort tasted great but had a low SG of 1040 and i can't think why... anyways, i added 600g of Dextrose as it was all i had in the house.

I hope it turns out OK

Good luck with your version Summy.

I just threw my dry hop additions in a few minutes ago & all looked & smelled pretty nice inside. [joyful]

I'll look forward to comparing thoughts with you in the coming weeks. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I bottled my recipe attempt of replicating this earlier today.

Very nice colour, & tasted yum from the sample out of the FV when bottling. [love]

I reckon I've made a good fist of this. It shows a lot of promise (IMHO) [biggrin]

I'll update again in a few weeks after it's carbonated sufficiently.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Well I bottled my attempt at this tonite and the taste was sensational. The LHBS recommended WYEAST 1056 (they were out of US05 and BRY97) and I hadn\u2019t used a liquid yeast before was wasn\u2019t sure what to expect. This is the first time I\u2019ve used Citra and seems like a great hop.

If I had wanted to re use this yeast, could I have just poured from a cube onto the remaining yeast cake in the FV after I bottled the beer, and do I separate the yeast cake from any remaining beer/liquid?

Cheers,

Christo

1056 is basically just a liquid form of US-05 from what I'm led to believe. I stand corrected on that though.

I have heard of people pitching a fresh batch on top of the old yeast cake, I think they just tip it straight in like you've mentioned. It's not something I've considered myself so I haven't read much about it though. I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable to answer that properly. [cool]

Archived