Coopers Community

European Lager

ash

give it a few weeks in the bottle then taste a bottle at say 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 week, 12 weeks etc, until you have consumed it all and just keep a record of the taste test.

the hardest thing is waiting, but being patient is rewarding

good luck with it

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been available there for as far back as I can remember.

As far as mixing BE with DME, of course you can. [cool]

You just need to remember that DME won't completely ferment out. You will get a higher FG if you add malt to BE, but that may be what you want?

And the level you make it up to is up to you as well. You just need to remember:

It will be more bitter.

It will be a darker colour.

It will finish a little higher (FG).

It will be stronger. [devil]

The cool thing about brewing your own is that you can do most anything you like to your batch, as long as you are aware of what your changes will do to the finished product. [happy]

Hi guys.

Just a point about the Diacetyl rest when lager brewing. I distinctly remember PB2 posting some info about it in a similar thread a while back.

If memory serves me well, he indicated that a diacetyl rest was only necessary towards the end of primary fermentation IF you plan to keg the beer. If you are bottling, it is not required as the natural bottle conditioning phase will take care of that issue.

I did try to find the post, as opposed to quoting it, but was unable to locate it.

I'm quite happy to be corrected if I have misquoted what was originally stated.

Cheers,

Anthony.

im a little shocked the Big W at colonnades in the 2 years and a bit years ive been brewing has never had that coopers LME

but now its there ill give it a go!

just picked up 2 coopers euro lagers + BEH2 and the LME

ill do one batch to around the 18 litres and the other to 23litres and compare the two of them.

will hopefully get these kits down at some stage during the week.

by my reckoning they will be in pristine condition for x-mas + new year

Hi NeilE1.

Just out of curiosity, what are the complete recipes you plan to brew in 18 & 23 litre volumes?

Also, do you have adequate means of temperature control for brewing lager beers throughout primary fermentation?

Cheers,

Anthony.

I do a D-rest on every lager I brew, whether I detect it or not. I just do it in the primary as per my above post. Because I mainly brew lagers in winter, once they are bottled they sit in the cupboard and I have no idea what temps they are sitting at. The whole point of the D-rest is to raise the temp of the brew a few degrees higher than ferment temps. Not much point or use if they are sitting at ferment temps in the cupboard. In the brew fridge I can just up the temp on the STC, possibly use some sort of heating device to bring it up, and I know where it's sitting. I just have to make sure I time it right.

But in saying that I do have the capability to do it that way, with the brew fridge and all, though I can't see why you wouldn't if you also have the means. [cool]

Hi NeilE1.

Just out of curiosity, what are the complete recipes you plan to brew in 18 & 23 litre volumes?

Also, do you have adequate means of temperature control for brewing lager beers throughout primary fermentation?

Cheers,

Anthony.

contemplating

can of euro lager

Beh 2 700g

light dry malt extract 500g

brew to 19litres

temperature control is fine, I have a sauna, the temp very rarely moves around, unless I use it!

Hi NeilE1.

temperature control is fine' date=' I have a sauna, the temp very rarely moves around, unless I use it![/quote']

And what temperature are you aiming to maintain in this sauna of yours through primary fermentation?

Anthony.

I aim to maintain a temp of 14 degrees

Good stuff. [happy]

Without knowing exactly what sort of setup you do have there Neil, just be aware that during primary fermentation it is normal for the temperature inside the fermenter to rise by approx. 2 degrees (give or take a few points), without the ability to counter the increase in temperature by means of controlled refrigeration.

I'm not sure how you are accurately measuring the temperature of the brew wort in your fermenter during primary fermentation, but below is a link to a simple & inexpensive temp probe that will give you exact readings on your brew wort at all times.

Cheap Temperature Probe

A good thick gob of Blu-Tak covering the outside of the probe sensor (to insulate against outside ambient temperature), & then simply attach to the outside wall of your fermenter.

Good luck with the brew.

P.S. I do find myself underlining comments more often when in retort with Hairy! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I know the cling wrap is slightly off topic

but I love the cling wrap because you can SEE what is happening with the brew without disturbing it.[happy]

The good thing about this forum is that we DON'T get our arses busted for going off topic. It makes for a much more easy going atmosphere which I wouldn't trade for the world. [love]

I know the cling wrap is slightly off topic

but I love the cling wrap because you can SEE what is happening with the brew without disturbing it.[happy]

The good thing about this forum is that we DON'T get our arses busted for going off topic. It makes for a much more easy going atmosphere which I wouldn't trade for the world. [love]

You only say that because you are the main culprit [lol]

Archived