Coopers Community

Viking beer? Reckon it'd be any good?

Hey KR,

How is your brew coming along with a little more age?

Actually I don't think I've had one for a couple of weeks so can't really say. The young ones I had were very nice and it's been very much a crowd-pleaser too, which is good for a slightly odd beer.

• 5 months later...

Viking Ale II

Alright vikings, time for round kaksi.

I shared the last of my original viking ale only a month ago with a guy who appreciated it very much, and it tasted great too. I think I'll do it pretty much the same again, but it wouldn't be any fun if I wasn't toying around with a couple of things SO here's what I propose to change:

1 - Slightly more hops with an extra 5g added to my 20 and 10 min hop additions

2 - A bit more rye because I don't remember really tasting it

3 - Reduce the light DME and increase the brown sugar for some reason, and remember to put it in this time!

4 - Swap a can of light LME for wheat because ... I dunno really, but it seems more viking-y

5 - 5 more minutes for the berries, although I hope that doesn't make too much difference

6 - I'd also like to try and get a really clear beer, so what's the most viking-y high floculating yeast? Windsor looks like a good option but it has low attenuation and I'd like a low FG. Perhaps just go with nottingham again?

Any thoughts on these alterations?

Unfortunately the hop schedule in the recipe I saved doesn't quite match the notes in this thread, but I think I was aiming for a "Belgian Pale Ale" in terms of bitterness so I can just base it around that again.

Here's what we get:

1.5kg light LME

1.5kg wheat LME

100g light DME

200g brown sugar

300g rye

200g dark crystal

40g Hallertauer @60

15g Hallertauer @20

30g Juniper berries @20

15g Hallertauer @10

10g Hallertauer dry

23L

Nottingham yeast?

And from all that ...

OG: 1.049

FG: 1.011

IBU: 25.0

EBC: 19.0

ABV: 5.3% (bottled)

Phew! That was a workout.

So has anyone else got any reflections on their original viking ales? I think a few of us made them at the time.

Hey Ruddy,

If you want more zip to your Viking brew then definitely hit it with more rye malt! By my reckoning, you have 10% rye in your grain bill. In my recipe I have nearly 20%![w00t] Are you doing a mini mash for that rye? You really should try smoking some of the rye! Don't put it in your pipe, though.

It's 45 @50, not @60. Goes from 22.8 to 24.1 IBUs. And what on earth is FWHing?

So how are you calculating my rye %age? That'd be a handy thing to know in order for an extract pleb like me to convert AG recipes. I'll bump it up to 400g why not.

No mini mash. Is that required? Not going to smoke it either as I don't have the equipment ... again. I really am working with very little gear! I suppose I could add some smoked malt, but I'm also kind of over it after my way-too-smoked amber ale. 100g perhaps?

So specialty grain bill now looks like:

400g rye

200g dark crystal

100g smoked malt

700g total ... that's starting to look like a lot!

Hey Ruddy,

FWH mean First Wort Hop. Check this out.

I think it IS required. Maybe it's time you thought about it! Lusty, I think is experimenting with mini-mashing on a very small scale this days. I think he is mashing in his oven with a couple of small pots.[unsure]

I calculated your rye % by adding up your total grain bill and dividing by 300. I'm no math wizard but I'm pretty sure I got it close. Maybe rounding up a little.[innocent]

700g of malt sounds great! It sounds like you're just getting started![biggrin] You have to remember that you are not brewing any old brew. This IS Viking Beer after all and if you where to make anything buth the richest, maltiest, hoppiest, most complex beer ever you might just get yourself burned, raped, and pillaged by someone named "Red" or "Lief".[crying]

I work on the conversion that 1.5kg LME is the equivalent of 2kg grains. So, ignoring the sugar and 100g LDM, you have the following:

4kg base grain (i.e. 2 x 1.5kg LME)

400g Rye

200g Dark Crystal

100g Smoked malt

So the Rye is 400g out of 4700g which is 8.5%. Pretty close to Chad's estimate off the top of his head [wink]

And you do need to mash Rye but it isn't hard. It is just a steep that is held around the mid 60's degrees for 45-60 minutes. You could just wrap the pot in some towels and maybe add a little more boiling water halfway through.

Probably but I wouldn't bother.

You are only mashing 400g Rye so the conversion you get isn't the biggest deal. I would start the mash in the late 60's and if it drops down to the low 60's by the end then that would be fine.

You are getting most of your fermentables from the LME/DME and sugar.

The difference between a mash and a steep is the constant temperature throughout the 60mins. Though, like Hairy said with such a small amount of grain a slight temperature change would be a huge deal. You should really do a little research on Mini-mashing. You're not as far away from Partial Mashing as you think. Wait till Lusty chimes in on the matter. He'll give a good detailed method I'm sure.

Don't forget to check FWHing as well.

FWHing kicks arse. I've done it on every brew since I found out about it and been very happy with the resultant brews. The bitterness doesn't seem as harsh. The only brew I haven't done it on is the SNPA clone recipe I brewed last week - about the only time I've followed a recipe to the letter except my first ever AG. [lol]

Inspired by David and Chads venture into the unknown with their viking beers and that Friday is J-Day I've decide to put together a Julebryg / Viking beer of my own.

2 x 1.7 kg Cans of Woolies Homebrand Lager (Long story)

500 gm Brown Sugar

200 gm Special B

200 gm Smoked Malt

200 gm Rye Malt

200 gm Maris Otter

25 gm Saaz @ 15 minutes

15 gm Citra Dry Hopped

2 Tbsp crushed Coriander Seeds

1 Vanilla Bean pod

2 Star Anise Pods

1 Tbsp crushed Cardamon Seeds

2 Cinnamon Sticks

30 gm Juniper Berries

The plan is to mash the grains, boil, add the Saaz and in a separate pot of water to boil and steep the herbs / spices. I had considered adding some cloves too but didn't want to over do it. [innocent]

It will probably end up a bit light for the style so I am considering adding a can of OS dark ale instead of one of the lager cans.

Yeast I am not real sure of. I have used Danstar Nottingham in the past (probably incorrectly - very fast brew, no starter) and to me I got a very yeasty tasting beer which I don't want to replicate. There is probably enough going on in this beer already. It is not a massive beer - only about 1.052 so I reckon a yeast starter should be enough to cope with the slightly higher ABV.

Any thoughts from the Viking Beer experts (VB [sick]) would be highly welcome.

The short story on the Homebrand cans is $3.77 ea but could only bring myself to buy 2 and yes plenty of date left on them.

Hey Dylan,

I think the recipe looks aventurous![biggrin] I think you have a lot of stuff going on in that beer! The weak link as I see it is the 2 can of woolies Lager[sick]. Sounds Shite![lol]

Another thing is to be aware that mashing Rye malt can/is messy. This malt will create a lot[surprised of crap in the brew kettle when trying to transfer to the FV. This can be subdued with a small addition of rice hulls. Soaksthese buggers before you add them tho the mash, they won't absorb so much of your overall volume that way. Don't shy away from using the rye though. It gives great, pepperey spiciness that will go great in your brew.

Th other thing that come to mind with your brew. If you haven't used these spices in a brew before becareful not to over do it.

Go for it I say[cool] !

BTW, I cracked open my very last bottle of my Viking brew tonight. Wow, I got to say this was a good one and I wish I had more of. I will be brewing this one again. So rich and complex![smile]

Well I bought my juniper berries yesterday and put an order for the rest of it in with Beerbelly today. I've gone with the wheat malt, increased rye and smoked malt addition. Final recipe will be:

1.5kg light LME

1.5kg wheat LME

100g light DME

200g brown sugar

400g rye

200g dark crystal

100g smoked malt

45g Hallertauer @50

10g Hallertauer @20

28g Juniper berries @20

10g Hallertauer @10

10g Hallertauer dry

23L

Nottingham yeast

OG: 1.050

FG: 1.012

IBU: 24.1 (plus whatever the juniper imparts)

EBC: 20.2

ABV: 5.4% (bottled)

Hi All,

Happy J-Day everyone. I have just finished my Julebryg brew and just a few Sparkling Ale Clones king browns [biggrin] to go with it.

I deviated a fair bit from my original plans. For one I could not bring my self to use the Woolies Lager Cans for this brew.

It ended up as:

1.7 kg can OS real Ale.

500 g Dextrose

500 g LDME

500 g DDME

200 gm Special B

200 gm Smoked Malt

200 gm Rye Malt

200 gm Pilsner Malt (I wanted Maris Otter but LHBS was out at time of order)

25 gm Saaz @ 15 minutes

25 gm Citra @ 5 minutes

2 Tbsp (13 g) crushed Coriander Seeds

2 Star Anise Pods

1 teasp crushed Cardamon Seeds

2 Cinnamon Sticks

30 gm Juniper Berries Crushed

I thought that I would save the $6.00+ vanilla pod for an up coming stout and chickened out on the Cardamon as I didn't want a curry tasting beer.

I mashed the grains (poorly) in the slow cooker as it seemed like a good idea at the time and added the hops to this wort. I boiled and steeped the herbs/spices separately for 20 and 25 minutes respectively. Once the wort was cool enough I mixed everything together for an OG of 1.060. I have yet to pitch the yeast as the temp was 29 deg but have a big starter of Fermentis S-04 Safale English Yeast ready to go when it cools down enough.

The hydrometer sample I tasted wasn't nearly as out there as I though with the flavors (at this stage) appearing to work well together despite smelling like a Christmas Pudding.

I will endeavor to post some further notes as to how this goes in a couple of weeks at bottling and again at Christmas when the bottles get opened. All I need now is somewhere snowy to enjoy a 6%+ beer at Christmas time.[roll]

Hi DylanE

That's got to be THE MOST seriously diverse ingredient recipe I have seen since joining the forum! [w00t]

I seriously don't even know where to start when it comes to describing the end flavors this brew will produce. Perfect sort of crazy arse mix I guess for a Julebryg though! [lol]

If you can pick what flavors the end beer will show, you're a better man than I. [wink]

Good luck with the brew. Drop one off to me when it's aged enough. You know where I am now! [wink]

Cheers,

Anthony.