Coopers Community

Viking beer? Reckon it'd be any good?

Well I never got around to adding the brown sugar (stupid life got in the way)' date=' but I realised today that I could possibly prime it with the brown instead of dextrose. Thoughts anybody?[/quote']

You can prime with brown sugar; I think you use the same amount as white sugar in the calculators.

You are only adding a small amount to each bottle so I am guessing that the flavour will be subtle. It is worth trying though.

Yeah, I figure if it doesn't hurt it then why not hey.

Anyway, just had my day ... (sundaymondaytuesdaywednesdaythursdayfridaysaturdaysundaymondaytuesday) 10 sample and measurement. FG appears to have been reached (1.010) and there's a sliiight hint of juniper. I'm already thinking ahead to the things I'll do differently next time, so based on the juniperyness of this one I'd say I'll use double next time and split it, first 28g (1oz, and also the amount the packet had in it) would go in at half and hour and the second at 15 minutes why not.

The juniper doesn't taste out of place by the way. If you're interested I'd recommend by starting how I have - 28g smashed up as best as you can with a spoon and added 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Hey KR,

I just received my ingredients for this one. Today's the day to go out and collect some juniper and smoke some rye. I think I'll only make a 10L batch to start with. I've been meaning to start making 1/2 batches for my more experimental brews. This will be the first 1/2[lol] . Hope it is so good I'll wish for the second 1/2 as well.

Thanks for being the front runner on this brew. Your advice is duely noted.

So this is the recipe I have come up with. It's a 10L batch.

2Kg Pilsner Malt

.2Kg Juniper smoked Rye Malt

.2Kg Rye Malt

.2Kg Light brwon sugar

.15Kg Victory Malt

.1Kg Crystal 120L

15g Hallertau pellets (5.3%) (FWH)

10g Hallertau 60mins

15g Juniper berries 30mins

2 15cm juniper branches in the mash

US-05

OG 1.067 FG 1.15 IBU 23.3 SRM 11 ABV 6.83%

Brewing it tomorrow.

It's soft and clumpy, so hard to measure. I had to weigh each spoonful. Might not have been so bad if I had a funnel do that I could use a regular spoon, but all I had was one of those two-ended priming scoops. Because of the clumpiness it wasn't scooping evenly and then it wouldn't come out into the bottle. Took forever.

I think the King's problem may be the size of his palace rather than the amount of taxes he is able to raise.

I vaguely recall the King mentioning that space is at a premium.

But you could even use a jerry can with a tap and slide it under the bed when not in use.

I put this one down the other day. Everything seemed to go well. I attemted step mashing. This was a bit of a flop. The other thing of note is this brew produced the most crud I have ever seen. I had a hell of a time trying to get this one into the FV as all the crap blocked the tap repeatedly. I think this was the result of using rye malt in the mash.

What is your kettle like Chad? Do you have a side pickup?

I've had a fair amount of crap in the bottom of the kettle before, but a whirl and slow drain misses most.

How did you achieve your steps? Did you apply heat during the mash, or top up with boiling water to achieve each rest?

Forgive my questions, but it's something I may be attempting soon. The protein rest is something I am particularly interested in for my recipes as I use a lot of wheat.

Hey Phil,

I have two kettles that I use. The one in question has no tap on the side. I use a whirl and a racking can which normally does a good job. This brew on the other hand it seemed the wort was thick with debris. I ended up getting a ton of crap.[annoyed]

As for my attempt at step mashing I used a BIAB method. I used the burner to heat the mash from step to step. It was a bit of a disaster. I was blowing right passed my intended temp. rests. It seems that my thermometer is a little slow to react until it is too late. Its frustrating to watch the temperature continue to rise after you shut the gas off.[annoyed]

I think that adding boiling water to bring the temp up would be equally frustrating. This I think might take forever.

You can expect a significant more time added to your brew day with this step mashing.

Oh well, We must keep learning.[roll]