Coopers Community

German Lager

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just listened to Fantasy off that album.

Hairy!! [crying] That's by far the worst song they've done.

And to be fair, if it was a four year old you'd probably find the stylings quite advanced. [rightful]

Edit: Also, they can't English speak words good for awesome happy.

Edit 2: Shut up and listen to Queensryche [cool]

Really! I just had a listen to the song in the link and thought it the worst thing I'd ever heard....It gets worse??? [crying]

This thread has started to make me feel a bit ill [sick] ...I think I'll take my hairspray and go home [annoyed]

Well I guess we can't expect everyone to be a metalhead...[lol]

Back OT, I'm not sure what's going on with this brew, it's fermenting but the off smell seemed to be dissipating when I checked it out after getting home last night. I'd have a taste but I'm hungover so I probably wouldn't taste anything anyway.

Really! I just had a listen to the song in the link and thought it the worst thing I'd ever heard....It gets worse??? [crying]

This thread has started to make me feel a bit ill [sick] ...I think I'll take my hairspray and go home [annoyed]

Ha Ha! That's what I was thinking! [bandit]

Well, getting back on topic, I just took a sample from this brew and had a smell and taste test and somehow there's no off smells or off flavours in it. It does reek of rotten eggs a bit but I know that's normal for lager yeast. Maybe I removed the offending muck in time and the yeast killed off any that may have remained? Is that possible? The muck would have been in there about four or five hours. I'm hoping so anyway but if there's no weird smells or flavours there I'd have to guess that it may not be infected after all. I got a second opinion with Dad having a smell and taste as well and he also didn't think there was anything wrong with it. [unsure]

There is no WAY I would be drinking a batch having pulled some giant green and yellow aliensque squid-plant thing out of it! Mostly I'd be afraid of turning into one myself, or of more of them growing from eggs in my stomach and and eating me from the inside. No way, not me.

Keep us informed though Kelsey [smile]

[lol]

I am going to keep an eye on it each day and make sure whatever it was doesn't return. I'll also do a taste and smell test every few days and monitor that - if it starts to exhibit off flavours or smells then I'll tip it, otherwise I may as well keep it. I think it was some kind of mould which according to Palmer isn't dangerous and doesn't have any lasting effect on the flavour if removed early enough. But yeah hopefully it stays tasting and smelling fine.

There is no WAY I would be drinking a batch having pulled some giant green and yellow aliensque squid-plant thing out of it! Mostly I'd be afraid of turning into one myself, or of more of them growing from eggs in my stomach and and eating me from the inside. No way, not me.

thought it about it before Ruddy? [lol]

Alien_facehugger.jpg

[lol] [lol]

Well it's on day 7 now after pitching last Friday. Still no hint of any off smells, just the rotten eggs. Will have a taste after work again tonight and see how it's tasting as well. SG about 1022 currently, probably up the temp for a diacetyl rest tonight or tomorrow morning.[cool]

I wish I had some kind of special effects stuff that could actually make that happen' date=' I'd so make a video of it. I had another taste just before, still tastes fine so at this stage it's still going in the bottles when that time comes.[/quote']

You could probably wear a green shirt (same colour as green screen) and then get some easy tools to make it happen. Apparently it's easy as, though I've never done it [lol]

[lol]

Well, I think I've achieved FG. But I have to take a couple of readings tomorrow and Sunday. At which time I'll have a taste test as well. I have poked my head in the fridge a couple of times though and haven't noticed any weird smells, so I'd say all is good, hopefully the tastings confirm this. If I'm at FG then I'll cold crash it to 1C for about 2 weeks then bottle.

Archived