Coopers Community

The Coopers O.S. Lager Kit Challenge!

Hay Nick.. if you really want a saison, maybe (and dont take my word for this here.. just thinking out loud) try a canadian blonde or the OS Lager even with an appropriate (Liquid Yeast of course with a starter of appropriate size ~2lt) Saison yeast.. you want a fairly bland base as you want the Saison Yeast to shine through... the Canadian Blonde or the Lager should provide that [lol]

Id still be going a kg of LDME.. (I guess) [unsure]

Good luck,

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nick.

Saison Dupont (adapted extract)

Briess Golden Light LME 1.5kgs

Light Dry Malt powder 1kg

Dried Wheat Malt Powder 450gms

Vienna Malt grain 250gms

Belgian Candy sugar (clear) 450gms

Bitter orange peel 15gms

Irish moss x 1 flat teaspoon (5gms)

Styrian Goldings hop 40gms @ 60mins

East Kent Goldings hop 25gms @ 10mins

East Kent Goldings hop 10gms @ 5mins

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale yeast

or

White Labs WLP530 or WLP565.

Brew to 21 litres.

If you are interested in the technique of brewing this recipe of Saison, have a look >> Here <<.

P.S. The video of the primary ferment of this beer is an interesting watch. Just scroll down on the link. [cool]

I hope that helps Nick.

Anthony.

1.7kg can Coopers OS "Lager"

1.7kg can Thomas Coopers sparkling ale

1.5kg wheat LME

250g caramalt

45g Amarillo

US05 yeast

Steep caramalt for 30 mins, bring to boil and add 15g Amarillo @15 and 15g @5. Combine in fermenter with wheat malt extract and sparkling ale kit. Add US05, place lid over the top and use OS lager can to hold lid down (careful not to let any get into the wort). Dry hop after a few days with remaining Amarillo.

[lol] Just one will do [biggrin]

I've just tried my Amber Ale and I'd have to say you may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but damn you can get close. You will have to follow the link as its not an entry in this comp. Here is the Link

I made this one, on purpose, after I convinced the kids I needed another DIY kit. I listened to Hairy who said that he made a nice Amber Ale using the OS Lager as a base.

I'll have to continue to hold my lid on with the clips that came with the kit [whistling

I made this one' date=' on purpose, after I convinced the kids I needed another DIY kit. I listened to Hairy who said that he made a nice Amber Ale using the OS Lager as a base.[/quote']

If I said that then I was full of s#%t. I have never made an amber ale from the OS Lager kit.

Anyway, I'm glad I was of some assistance [biggrin]

Hi guys.

...place lid over the top and use OS lager can to hold lid down (careful not to let any get into the wort)...

[lol] [lol]

Pretty funny stuff Ruddy! However your sneaky recipe attempt at sliding a JS Golden Ale clone recipe into the challenge has fallen short on technical grounds.

My opening thread clearly states that you must be "using this kit tin as the base" for all recipes. As stated, you have clearly placed yours on "the top". [tongue] [lol]

Nice lateral thinking though! [biggrin]

On a more serious note, since the recipe offerings have all but dried up, I'll move the final date for submissions forward to Sunday, January 13th as being the final day. After that day I'll start a new thread for those interested to vote for the submissions posted. It should all be wound up before the end of January, 2013.

After that's all wound up, I have one more topic I'll have some research on by then, that I would like to air on the forum, then that will be it from me.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Lusty' date=' will you be sending all of us a bottle of each beer prior to voting? [innocent']

If I could, you know I would. [innocent]

I'm actually hoping that whoever's recipe actually wins the vote, that enough of us will collectively decide to brew it, age it, then comment on it down the track.

I'm up for brewing the winning recipe anyways. [cool]

Anthony.

I'm actually hoping that whoever's recipe actually wins the vote, that enough of us will collectively decide to brew it, age it, then comment on it down the track.

Lusty have you somehow worked out an arrangement to profit from any sales of OS Lager that this thread produces? [bandit]

I like Hairy's suggestion better [lol]

Could be my new house beer

OS IPA

2 cans Coopers OS Lager

1/2kg Dark Dry Malt

1/4 kg White Sugar

Mix up to 21 litres

pitch in both kit yeasts at around 20 degress and ferment under that.

50 g East Kent Golding dry hop when krausen dies down

About 7% drink too many and your smashed

I need a good supply of mid-strength "summery" beer year round. When working in the fish-room at 24 deg C + with high humidity it is thristy work.

(The fish room has about 6000L of water in numerous aquariums and I breed Lake Malawi Cichlids)

So I think my 1st 2 brews will be simple. I have been thinking about a recipe based on the "Lawnmower Lager". Something like this, (comments welcome and I will be brewing up the final recipe).

1 can OS Lager

1kg Brew Enhancer 1

Lager yeast (yet to be determined)

10g Cascasde Hops

Dissolve the BE1 in 3L of hot water, add Lager can then bring to boil for 10 mins. Remove from flame and add 2L of cool water. Add to fementer and fill to 25L. Target temp ~23 degrees. Pitch yeast.

After 24 hrs chill to 15 degrees. At day 4 add hops.

After FG is stable, rack into a cube and keep chilled @ 15 deg for 2 weeks.

Not sure if this will achieve the desired effect. I thought boiling a bit to add bitterness but then balancing with an aroma hops would achieve a "summery" type beer.

Thoughts? Improvements?

Just a couple of points:

1. No need to boil the kit. Dissolve the BE1 and lager can contents in hot water, stir and add water up to the desired volume. Boiling the kit won't achieve an increase in bitterness. If you want to increase the bitterness then you will need to boil the hops. But there probably isn't a need to add any further bitterness to this recipe (unless you want to).

2. If you can, try to ferment around 18-20 degrees and try to pitch the yeast around this temp too. 15 degrees is probably too cold for the ale yeast.

3. No need to rack to a cube, unless you want to free up the FV. When you reach FG then leave it in the FV for another week. If you want clearer beer than you can crash chill it around 2 degrees for a few days (or longer) before bottling.

And this is just a personal thing but I would increase the dry hop to 20-25g.

Good luck with it.

Cool, thanks guys.

I happened to have a plastic water container in the shed. I thought I'd use it so I can get the next brew on. No point waiting 12 weeks to find I have a bunch of beer I don't really want to drink if I stuff it up [biggrin].

Lower temp to ~10 deg & increase hops to 20g.... Sounds good.

Cool, thanks guys.

I happened to have a plastic water container in the shed. I thought I'd use it so I can get the next brew on. No point waiting 12 weeks to find I have a bunch of beer I don't really want to drink if I stuff it up [biggrin].

ive drunk 8 years of beer ive stuffed up....not so bad...look what a success i am !!!

Cool, thanks guys.

Sorry Matthew, I missed the lager yeast in the list.

10 degrees is good. Don't be surprised if fermentation takes a bit longer.

I wonder if I turn the fridge themostat to warm, what it will hold the temperature at?

I think I'll get stuff in the shed organised and sneak a brew in...

Yeah, give it a go [devil]

The best way to test out your equipment is to brew with it. Then you will know how to tinker with it.

Hi guys.

I see no reason to elongate this thread any further. It's really just sitting in limbo waiting at the moment. We may as well wind it up & move forward. [rightful]

This coming Monday evening I will post the thread containing the links to those recipes submitted in 'The Challenge' for members to vote on.

If you haven't already submitted a recipe in the challenge, & would like to, please post it in this thread before the end of day Sunday 6th January.

I would like to thank EVERYONE on the forum that has posted in this thread since it's inception, whether it was a recipe or a post of comical content, or something else. I have personally been overwhelmed with the interest & response that the thread received since I initially posted the idea, and truly enjoyed reading ALL the content supplied by members. [joyful]

I'm now looking forward to "The Vote".

Expect a voting post from me sometime Monday 7th January evening (Australian Time).

Anthony.

Archived