Coopers Community

Blow Your Own Trumpet

Well Skookum, your "Big Island IPA" is in the tub, so to speak! [joyful]

Everything went smoothly. Nice colour & aroma etc. Filled to 21 litres, pitched the yeast (dry) @ 20\xb0C, then sprinkled in the oak chips. Will reduce to 18\xb0C in the next 8-10hrs or so for the rest of primary ferment.

Now if we can get what looks like a partial shipwreck floating around in there to sink, there might be some hope for it! [pinched] [lol] [lol] [biggrin]

I'll look forward to the end result. [cool]

Anthony.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony

You shouldn't ask an extrovert to blow his or her own trumpet. You can never shut them up.

I feel that his thread will become perpetual.

So check this one out, my second best brew ever.

Edit: Since My version of the LCPA was drinking so well at six months I have been reluctant to bump it from the #1 spot. However this Styx River Pale won\u2019t make it past next week the way it\u2019s going. Therefore I now proclaim it as my best brew ever

Anthony

You shouldn't ask an extrovert to blow his or her own trumpet. You can never shut them up.

I feel that his thread will become perpetual.

Haha! [lol] Isn't that what the thread is all about though? [biggrin]

I can see you are chomping at the bit for someone else to brew this.

As I love to experiment, & haven't yet used Galaxy or Willamette hops, consider me the first Guinea-pig for your Styx River Pale recipe. [cool]

I'll probably dry hop it with some Galaxy (only) too. I have a couple of brews in the pipeline for January already, but will add this recipe as another to put down during the month (promise). [ninja]

I've got a couple of porters I want to put down in January to be ready for the AUS winter. I need to have a chat with AdamH about his "Poita Porter" & Skookum about porter variants & recipes that include vanilla pods, bourbon & oak chips. [biggrin]

Your recipe shall see the inside of a fermenter of mine at some point during the month Scottie. I shall look forward to brewing & tasting it. [cool]

Anthony.

I can see you are chomping at the bit for someone else to brew this....I'll probably dry hop it with some Galaxy (only) too.

Cheers Beer

And I will wait for your report back before I Dry Hop this beer with some Galaxy myself next time.

I will be individually priming my bottles as I don't bulk prime for secondary fermentation. Apart from that, the recipe will be followed to the letter.

Hey Lusty & everybody else,

From one brewer to another...[bandit] I think it's time to make the leap to bulk priming. I really think you have over looked this advancement of HBing. It really is a key step into having consistantly carbed bottles and making the bottling step less of a chore. For me, I find bottling my leased favouite part of the hobby and bulk priming makes it easier. For a guy like yourself that is already making PM brews and looking further ahead I'm sure you could figure this one out. You won't look back!

It is not only earier to bulk prime but it allowis you to dial in the correct amount of carbonation for the particular style you are brewing. This amount of priming sugar could vary from 100g/21L for a stout to as high as 200g/23L say a ginger beer or light Lager. You can't possibly be this precise with a spoonful into every bottle[pinched] .

Make it one of the new year advancement in your brewery. I challege you to bulk prime that "Big Island IPA" of your at 120g/21L[wink]

I agree 100% with what Chad has said here. At the end of the day, it is up to the individual, but for me, bulk priming is both an easier and better method of priming your bottles. Having used this method for the best part of 6 months, there's no way I'd ever go back to individually priming unless I had a beer shortage for some reason and had to have both FV's going at once.

I would liken making the leap to bulk priming in a similar vein to spicing up basic kit brews with added hops and grains - it's only going to be an improvement. [biggrin]

I understand and agree with most of the reasons for bulk priming but being 'easier' is pushing it a bit.

Individually scooping sugar into each bottle is a PITA but how can using and cleaning an extra FV, preparing the sugar liquid and racking the beer be any easier then adding some carb drops or a sugar cube to each bottle?

Control and flexibility is a plus but throwing out the 'easier' line is a misnomer.

Well.. no practices associated with bulk priming could be considered difficult. Granted, neither is using carb drops or sugar cubes.

Perhaps quicker might be a better word at least for the actual bottling part. I know there's a little more cleaning because of the second FV but it's not that big of a deal for me.

I understand and agree with most of the reasons for bulk priming but being 'easier' is pushing it a bit.

Individually scooping sugar into each bottle is a PITA but how can using and cleaning an extra FV, preparing the sugar liquid and racking the beer be any easier then adding some carb drops or a sugar cube to each bottle?

Control and flexibility is a plus but throwing out the 'easier' line is a misnomer.

I have never bulk primed, so my opinion is only based on my own occasionally skewed logic, but i have to agree with you Hairy. The minister for war and peace bottles with me so adding sugar after she has steralised and rinsed the bottles is no great bother to me, i simply prime and fill and she caps, shakes and puts them in a box. Also whether its with carb drops or sugar into a variety of 330, 345 or 375ml stubbies makes no real difference to me. Put it this way, i cant tell the difference when drinking them. However, the most horrendous part of bottling time for me is cleaning up afterwards, so one less FV to wash the better. i have often read bulk priming threads and thought this. I am glad i am not the only one.

Well.. no practices associated with bulk priming could be considered difficult. Granted, neither is using carb drops or sugar cubes.

Perhaps quicker might be a better word at least for the actual bottling part. I know there's a little more cleaning because of the second FV but it's not that big of a deal for me.

The argument wasn't about whether bulk priming was actually difficult but whether it was easier than bottle priming.

I will run with my same arguments regarding the term 'quicker', just replace the word 'easier' with 'quicker' where relevant [biggrin]

Well in my experience it's been quicker. It's down to about an hour now rather than an hour and a half that it used to be. I don't count time spent getting bottles and cappers ready, or cleaning out FVs, because you do that anyway. I'm talking about the bottling itself.

As I said, it's up to the individual at the end of the day. Personally the few minutes it takes to clean out the extra FV doesn't bother me considering I have more control over carb levels for different styles, more even carbonation throughout the batch, no over carbed beers, less beer wastage, and about a sixth of the cost compared to carb drops at least, probably sugar cubes too. Obviously if spooning sugar or dex individually, the cost factor is irrelevant.

In short, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages in my experience and opinion. [biggrin]

1. The washing of the bottling bucket is no bother at all. It is simply rinsing and a splash of sanitiser. There in no trub or solid grime to scrub.

2. Bringing a 1/2L of water to a boil is a snap and measuring out your priming sugar once rather than 30-60 times is a no brainer. Dumping this solution into the BB a cinch.

3. Here's the real hard part... Racking. If you are using two FV's then this is as simple as attaching a hose from one tap to another and opening both of them. Oh, don't forget to elevate the heavy one.

All the folks out there who are hesitant to move to BP for fear of it being too much of a PITA. I would think there are a lot higher mountains to summit than this mole hill.

Make the move to Bulk Priming![rightful] You won't regret it.

You know all this, Hairy![annoyed]

1. The washing of the bottling bucket is no bother at all. It is simply rinsing and a splash of sanitiser. There in no trub or solid grime to scrub.

Yeah, I think of it just like a big bottle when it comes to the cleaning. I just give mine a rinse after use, let it dry then when I'm about to use it again I rinse in hot tap water and give it a dose of Starsan. Hardly a PITA.

People will always do what they're most comfortable with, and fair enough. I think what we're trying to say here isn't "You must bulk prime", but that for the minimal 'extra' work, the advantages of it are more than worth it, so give it a try and see what you think. There must be something in the fact that most people who make the move to BP don't go back...[innocent] [biggrin]

2. Bringing a 1/2L of water to a boil is a snap and measuring out your priming sugar once rather than 30-60 times is a no brainer. Dumping this solution into the BB a cinch.

3. Here's the real hard part... Racking. If you are using two FV's then this is as simple as attaching a hose from one tap to another and opening both of them. Oh, don't forget to elevate the heavy one.

All the folks out there who are hesitant to move to BP for fear of it being too much of a PITA. I would think there are a lot higher mountains to summit than this mole hill.

Yeah, I know all that. It was all semantics over the term 'easier' vs 'easy'.

Little things like that get me excited sometimes [innocent]

Ok, you bulk primers have convinced me to give it a go. While out doing a bit of ingredient shopping I picked up a third FV & some clear hosing. My motivation is the time factor, the ease of the process, & I am interested in seeing whether carbonation consistency improves because of it.

Your Big Island IPA will be the first tester Skookum. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hi Scottie.

I can see you are chomping at the bit for someone else to brew this....I'll probably dry hop it with some Galaxy (only) too.

Cheers Beer

And I will wait for your report back before I Dry Hop this beer with some Galaxy myself next time.

I bought all the ingredients today for your 'Styx River Pale Ale' recipe & will mix it all up tomorrow. It's just too hot today (outside temp currently sitting on about 43.3\xb0C [pinched] ) + I have my Mt. Hood APA to bottle at some point today.

Coincidently one of the brew shops where I buy some of my ingredients from, the guy often has something on tasting, & likes to pour me one while we chat etc. Today he had a Galaxy/Pacific Gem taster. Quite nice. [biggrin]

I had to make one slight alteration to your recipe. I subbed the Re-cultured Coopers Commercial Ale yeast for some US-05. The weather conditions this week have not been very conducive for me to effectively propagate the commercial yeast.

Just one question about the brew...

I'm assuming brew to 23 litres?

Anthony.

Right on' date=' Lusty! It's a good move. Make sure to prime that Big Island with 120gdex/L[/quote']

Are you trying to give Lusty a bomb recipe?

Nice pickup Ottoman & AdamH.

Don't worry, I saw through Skookums Type 'O'. [rightful]

His original post stated 120gms for the WHOLE 21L brew. So I'll use 6gms per Litre. [biggrin]

It's pretty damn cold there in Canuck-Land atm. So understanding that the temperature is dropping there, I'm guessing the ABV% is increasing in what Skookum is drinking atm. Add to that thoughts of SWMBO maybe making him a "Jita's Cafe" special roll, I'll forgive him just this once! Hehe! [lol]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Anthony

Yes its a 23 litre batch.[cool]

Thanks Scottie. [happy]

P.S. If Nicole K ever saw that pic you posted in another thread, she might never walk out in public again! Haha! [lol]

Anthony.

I just thought I'd add another favorite of mine from Log Cabin Brewery.

Ginger Beer

1.7 Mex. Cervesa

500g DME

550g LME

500g Honey

500g Fresh ginger root (pounded & boiled for 20mins)

25L water

2 Lemons(halved & squeezed, boiled for 20mins)

8g Chinook (20mins)

22g Cascade (20mins)

200g Dex (bulk prime)

7g Cooper's ale yeast

OG 1.042 FG 1.008

Method: Bring 10L water to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the extract. Bring it back to a boil and start the timer. This wort can be boiled for as much as an hour. At the 20mins mark left in the boil add the pounded ginger, the 2 lemons rind and all, and the hops. At the end of the boil add the honey and and Mex cervesa can. Stir it well making sure everything is mixed then clap the lid on and chill the kettle down in an ice bath for 20-30mins. Strain the wort while adding to the FV then top up to 25L. Sprinkle the yeast dry. Voila!

Give it a go![wink]

So, I went ahead and put down another of my GB's today. I had been meaning to for quite a while. As always each version of the same recipe (concept) is slightly different. These changes are usually due to ingredients on hand and/or advancements in brewing process. This is how today's brew day went down.[cool]

Ginger beer

1.7 Mex. Cervesa (added @ end of boil)

566g Amber LME

500g DME

578g Honey (added @ 5mins left on the boil)

500g Fresh Ginger root (pounded & boiled for 20mins)

25L water (22L boil with extract) then topped up to 25L

2 Lemons (halved, squeezed & added to the boil @ 20mins)

12g Cascade 5.3% 20mins

10g Amarillo 7.8% 20mins

8g Citra 13% 20mins

1/2 Tablet of Irish Moss (10mins)

7g packet of Cooper's y. as nutrient (10mins)

US-05 repitched from slurry @ 24C

It is the first of many outdoor brews with my new turkey deep fryer brewing set-up. This new addition to my brewery makes full wort boils easily accomplished and hanging out in the yard gets me out of SWMBO's hair for the avro!

Give it a go!

Archived