Coopers Community

Blow Your Own Trumpet

Anthony

If you are truly going to brew all these recipes then I would skip my Thames Valley Red on the first page. I would delete it but as I burned my previos idenity I can't. This one was great out of the keg from 9 weeks but it is lousy out of the bottle (375ml) past 3 months.

With so many options I find it hard to make the same beer twice, the closest I have came was my Bushy Park Blonde*.

Therefore it can get a bit like the Olympic games, each time I proclaim this is my best brew ever. Now that I have two DIY FVs as well as an original style I hope to return to some of my best recipes as listed in my signature.

So what can I offer to this thread is another English Beauty.

Thames Valley Red (On tap)

Edit: deleted recipe - This one was great out of the keg at 9 wweks but lousy out of the stubbie at 3 months.

footnote:

*Although the Bushy Park Blonde isn't my favourite it is the favourite of friends and family.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Eh!L from Golden' date=' BC Canada[/b']. . .

....COME... ON... DOWN!!!....

YOU'RE THE SECOND CONTESTANT ON "BLOW YOUR OWN TRUMPET"! [lol]

Hiya Canadian Eh!L!

As promised, I said I will attempt to brew recipes kindly posted in this thread by forum members. I now have a free FV & this is a recipe I have been eyeing off for sometime. Canadian Eh!L's recipe is listed under post#9 of this thread & sounds right up my ally for the types of flavours I like. As I like to experiment, the interest to me personally in the recipe is the "Real Ale" kit tin & the wood chips that I have neither used yet in home brewing beer.

I will admit that I am going to alter the recipe slightly by using an equivalent amount of Caramalt grain in place of the 566gms of Amber Malt LME & I will be individually priming my bottles as I don't bulk prime for secondary fermentation. Apart from that, the recipe will be followed to the letter.

I would just ask the Canuck himself, for the best time to add the oak wood chips into the brew without interfering with the yeast pitch, & also best pitch temp & brewing temp. [unsure]

Depending on your response time, I can potentially get it in the FV tomorrow, if not, hopefully at the latest, by the end of Sunday. [cool]

I'm looking forward to brewing this one. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Swapping amber LME with Caramalt isn't like for like. The LME is much more fermentable than Caramalt so you will be changing the balance of the recipe.

You may need to add some light malt as well as the Caramalt.

Hey Lusty,

Good on you for getting around to this one.

Like Hairy said Caramalt/Crystal malt by itself is not a substitute for LME.If you don't have ALME then try LME with 100g crystal 40L.

As for the Oak chips... I've done a couple of methods. I have steamed them over the boiling wort then added them @ time of ferment, but more often I've just simply sprinkled them dry @ time of ferment (similar to a red wine kit). Some folks like to soak the chips in whiskey for flavour/sanitising. I have never done this method so it wouldn't aply to my recipe.

if you have any more questions about the recipes, please ask![cool]

Good Luck,

Good morning Hairy.

Swapping amber LME with Caramalt isn't like for like. The LME is much more fermentable than Caramalt so you will be changing the balance of the recipe.

You may need to add some light malt as well as the Caramalt.

Certainly points well made, & the fermentability of each is different as you say, & is something I am aware of due to some advice from you personally in another thread a little while back. [happy]

I haven't finalised the recipe I'll brew for this yet.

I pretty much had all the ingredients sitting around except for the base Real Ale kit tin (that I bought last night), & the Amber Malt LME. As the Canuck's recipe only uses about 1/3 of a can, it would leave me 2/3 of a can of LME that I am not using in my brewing atm. And we all know what a PITA pouring out parts of LME cans is! [pinched]

I've got some Carmalt grain here. If I have to buy some Munich & add a bit more LDM, that is a lot more resource friendly for me atm. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hiya Canuck! Thanks for the reply. [happy]

My main issue with the Oak chips is that they float right? So when I sprinkle in the yeast, I am a little concerned that they may cling to the oak chips & potentially alter the fermentation of the brew.

I'm in need of a moment of clarity. [innocent] [lol]

P.S. If you really want me to use the Amber LME I will buy some to hold true to your recipe.

Anthony.

My recipe has always added the oak chips @ ferment. They float for a while but by the end of the Primary ferment they are not floating anymore.

As for the ALME... I can't really say if the LME is Amber or not. The LME that I use for this recipe is darker than LLME. It is an organic LME that is from my grocery store. I'd probably say that my suggestion of 500g LME(DME) +100-200g of Light crystal would do nicely.

Thanks Canuck!

Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated & I'll follow your advice. [joyful]

On a lighter note...

...As for the ALME... I can't really say if the LME is Amber or not. The LME that I use for this recipe is darker than LLME. It is an organic LME that is from my grocery store.

Saunders Alert??!! Saunders alert??!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

[lol] [lol] [lol] [tongue]

Anthony. [biggrin]

Hey Beer,

Made them think about being resourseful in their own hometownfor any/all ingredients that might make beer![alien]

SWMBO got me a book for Christmas about growing your ingredients. Goes through everything - Barley (and malting), hops and brewing herbs. Also other malt sources.

My bro has 10 acres [bandit]

Hi again Hairy.

Lusty, if you are worried about using partial cans of LME then just get some dry malt.

You can get dry amber malt and this will make it easy to measure and store the remainder for later use.

I've actually already tried to get hold of some powder amber malt extract. No go Amigo from 4 different suppliers I use here in Adelaide. Only one of them sells the stuff, & it is only available in 25kg quantities. 25kgs is a smidge over what I need. [lol]

I reckon I'll try the grain alternative route that I began asking for thoughts on in the "Grain Alternative" thread.

Thanks for the thought though Hairy. [happy]

Anthony.

Hi again Hairy.

Lusty, if you are worried about using partial cans of LME then just get some dry malt.

You can get dry amber malt and this will make it easy to measure and store the remainder for later use.

I've actually already tried to get hold of some powder amber malt extract. No go Amigo from 4 different suppliers I use here in Adelaide. Only one of them sells the stuff, & it is only available in 25kg quantities. 25kgs is a smidge over what I need. [lol]

I reckon I'll try the grain alternative route that I began asking for thoughts on in the "Grain Alternative" thread.

Thanks for the thought though Hairy. [happy]

Anthony.

My LHBS sells it by the kg so I thought it was standard. Perhaps my LHBS is the exception.

Hi Canuck!

Ok, this will be my version of your "Big Island IPA"...

Coopers Real Ale kit tin 1.7kgs

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Light Dry Malt Powder 400gms

Medium Crystal 250gms

American Oak Chips 30gms

Cascade hops 20gms @ 30mins

Nelson Sauvin hops 20gms @ 10mins

Amarillo, Cascade & Nelson Sauvin hops 12gms each dry hopped

US-05 yeast

21 Litres.

Spreadsheet estimates...

OG = 1.057, FG = 1.015, 6.0% bottled ABV

47.8 IBU, 20.6 EBC.

I'll throw the oak chips into the end of the hop boil with about 3mins left to sanitize them, & then add them into the FV with the rest of the ingredients for the duration of primary ferment.

Sound ok?

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

That sounds pretty close. I don't think that adding the Oak chips during the boil is a great idea as the oak is supposed to be a secondary flavour/aroma (think cask). I think you might be trying to extract something that doesn't need to be there. I think you should add them dry at the time of ferment like I have done several time without any problem. If you were to add them during the boil you would probably strain the chips out went pouring your wort into the fermenter and would lose a lot of what this recipe is all about. If you are truly trying to follow our recipes then you should stick to the recipe and method. Otherwise don't ask for our recipes.[biggrin] These are tried and true methods that should be tried out before changing them.[wink]

If you are gonna do anything to sanitize them then I reckon soaking them in vodka would be preferable to boiling them.

As Chad says, if you are going to brew a recipe which someone else has kindly provided, you should stick to the recipe and methods in which it is prepared the first time you do it, rather than adding your own angles to it straight away. Otherwise, what's the point of brewing it? Fair enough to change it up a bit on future brews if you see fit to.

Just my 2 cents.

I've never used oak chips in a brew before. I simply asked my HBS guy how he goes about using them. Throwing them in the hop boil with about 2-3 mins left is what he stated to purely sanitise them. I then posted that here so Chad could make comment on it, before I mix it up tomorrow.

The last thing I want is contamination. But if "Skookum" wants me to hurl them into the FV dry, then that's what I'll do. No big deal.

...And ya call me "Constable"! Geeez! [pinched]

Anthony.

Archived