Coopers Community

LCPA variant

To save hijacking the Amber Yak thread, I've put this one in. My LHBS didn't have Nelson Sauvin I so am going with what I have in the freezer (sh#tloads of Cascade and Galaxy) - it will be similar (I hope) to LCPA (one of my absolute faves)

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Can

1 x Black Rock Liquid Amber Malt (only brand they have at my store, and it went well in the Amber Yak)

500g DME

15g Cascade pellets @ 40 mins

3 x Cascade plugs (14 g each plug? = 42 grams) @ 10mins

3 x Cascade plugs at flame out

35g Galaxy flowers at flame out

15g galaxy flowers after day 3 - just for a bit more hoppiness [w00t]

23L

15g US-05 yeast rehydrated.

Brew @ 20 degrees C

OG approx. 1.051, GF approx. 1.013

EBC = 20

IBU = 44

ABV = 5.3% bottled

Borrowed the hop schedule from this.

Anyone see any problems? Too much cascade? I have another 6 cascade plugs, 90g cascade flowers and 90g galaxy pellets [devil]

I'd drop the amber (or only use 1/2 a can) and be careful of overdoing it with the galaxy. I like my beers very hoppy but I'm always hesitant to overdo the galaxy as I think it works better as a bit player. I'd love to be proven wrong as I've got a heap of it in the freezer that I need to use up [biggrin]

I agree with muddy. Be carefully with the galaxy. This is my version of it. Not the same as LCPA, but still makes makes a nice brew.

TC Traditional Draught

1.5KG Coopers Wheat Malt

200gm LDM

100gm Dex

125gm Carapils

125gm Crystal Malt

15gm Galaxy @ 10 to 15min

15gm Cascade dry

US-05

23 L

Im sure i put a bit of cascade in at flame out but my notes tell me i didnt!!

I've made like it a couple of times now. The last time I used the carapils and crystal malt and is well worth it

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I must confess, I decided to ignore the Muddy (I don't have an airlock) and used the whole can of amber malt in the end. [devil] Because of the success with the amber yak (exactly the same just different hops) I stuck with that, and wanted the high alcohol.

The brew has been in the fridge for 9 days now. I had to get SWMBO to help - due to being away for work, she did her first dry hop [lol]

Last night I checked gravity - 1.0125 (it was right in the middle of 1.012 and 1.013). Pretty much spot on with expected.

Has anyone ever drunk all of their SG test? Because by crikey is this beer good. [love] It tastes EXACTLY like LCPA, just 9 days in, still in the fermenter (albeit without bubbles). The bitterness is maybe a tad more, but I expect that will mellow a bit before serving day. Hops wise it is spot on.

The plugs I has were 11g each, not 14 so the amount of cascade hops was lower, but seems to have been ok.

• 4 weeks later...
It tastes EXACTLY like LCPA' date=' just 9 days in, still in the fermenter [/quote']

You have my full attention [smile]

I've tried and have not yet conquered the LCPA clone. I'll give this one a go. One problem is I don't think my LHBS stocks that amber malt. What coopers malt can would you sub it with?

Picked up the Coopers amber malt this morning. They never had black rock, All of my galaxy and cascade hops are pellets. So was thinking 20g of each galaxy and cascade at FO and 10g galaxy dry hopped. Sound alright?

• 6 years later...
On 9/27/2012 at 5:54 AM, AdamH1525226084 said:

To save hijacking the Amber Yak thread, I've put this one in. My LHBS didn't have Nelson Sauvin I so am going with what I have in the freezer (sh#tloads of Cascade and Galaxy) - it will be similar (I hope) to LCPA (one of my absolute faves)

1 x Coopers Pale Ale Can

1 x Black Rock Liquid Amber Malt (only brand they have at my store, and it went well in the Amber Yak)

500g DME

15g Cascade pellets @ 40 mins

3 x Cascade plugs (14 g each plug? = 42 grams) @ 10mins

3 x Cascade plugs at flame out

35g Galaxy flowers at flame out

15g galaxy flowers after day 3 - just for a bit more hoppiness [w00t]

23L

15g US-05 yeast rehydrated.

Brew @ 20 degrees C

OG approx. 1.051, GF approx. 1.013

EBC = 20

IBU = 44

ABV = 5.3% bottled

Borrowed the hop schedule from this.

Anyone see any problems? Too much cascade? I have another 6 cascade plugs, 90g cascade flowers and 90g galaxy pellets [devil]

Love the recipe thanks Adam.

Just wondering, what is the boil volume and time for the amber malt and the dme? Also, how long do you leave the hops in that go in at flame out? 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Nebs said:

Love the recipe thanks Adam.

Just wondering, what is the boil volume and time for the amber malt and the dme? Also, how long do you leave the hops in that go in at flame out? 

Thank you

You shouldn't need to boil the DME & LME, only dissolve it into the fermenter, but around 5l should be enough for the hop boil. Depends on how long you want the flame out hops in! Also depends on how you chill, etc.

2 minutes ago, Smash said:

You shouldn't need to boil the DME & LME, only dissolve it into the fermenter, but around 5l should be enough for the hop boil. Depends on how long you want the flame out hops in! Also depends on how you chill, etc.

Thanks for the reply Smash. just a coupld questions on that (sorry i am new to brewing). 

What are the benefits of boiling the DME and LME? Also is there a standard time to flame out hops you can aim for while you are learning the ropes? 

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Nebs said:

Thanks for the reply Smash. just a coupld questions on that (sorry i am new to brewing). 

What are the benefits of boiling the DME and LME? Also is there a standard time to flame out hops you can aim for while you are learning the ropes? 

Thanks

No worries, I'm in the same boat!

I don't really think there are any, other than the ease of putting it all in one pot. Not sure if the hops' flavour is affected by the LME / DME or vise versa. Try a flame out of around 15-20 minutes before taking them out. Might be good to have a look at some other recipes that have used hops at flame out to check. 

Thanks!

Archived