Coopers Community

Anyone for a Knappstein Enterprise Lager?

Mashing in the mid 60s wouldn't result in an FG that high anyway, especially with lager yeast that ferments more thoroughly than ale yeast usually. 

It sounds like a yeast issue. Could be tired, unhealthy yeast, underpitched, could be the wort wasn't oxygenated enough, could be lack of nutrients in the wort (unlikely though since it's mostly malt derived). Maybe the malt extract was mashed high when it was made but I'm going with a yeast problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that your hydrometer has gone out of whack somehow and is reading high. 

Cheers

Kelsey

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

1.008 for an extract based beer with specialty malt seems optimistic to me.... I'd be expecting around 1.012 with your mash temp and OG. 

Don't trust any software FG estimates, they're all over the shop.

I thought 1.008 was a bit optimistic too John & said as much in my brewday post. the 1.012 seemed more likely hence why I asked if someone could check the figures.

Kelsey's theories seem more likely, but given I've now pitched 2½ packets of yeast at this 1.050 wort you wouldn't have thought that could be the problem either.

It's brews like this that really do your head in. ?

Thanks for the input guys.

Lusty.

I can understand why it would do your head in. Especially when you do everything right and it still doesn't work as it should. I don't really have this happen to any of my beers (I did have a couple that didn't reach expected FG with 1318 yeast) but if I did it'd be the sort of thing that would make me glad I'm kegging because at least there's no risk of explosions. The only potential issue is the flavor may be a bit sweet due to the higher FG. I agree 1.008 sounds optimistic given the recipe, 1.010-12 would be more expected. That's still a few points off where you're at though. Maybe you could chuck some dry enzyme in there ?

The FG is probably harder to predict with extract because you/the software don't really know exactly how fermentable it is. I find with my AG beers that the FG predictions I get from Beersmith based on the grist, mash temp and volume are pretty well on the money. If it doesn't finish bang on, it's only a point or so difference pretty well every time. I wouldn't really call that all over the shop.

Cheers

Kelsey

Given the higher FG, I didn't want to waste some precious Nelson Sauvin on a dry hop, so last night threw some Ahtanum I have had sitting for a little while in as a dry hop substitute. I'll allow that to dry hop until Tuesday where I will remove it & begin the cold conditioning. Will keg this next weekend.

A long PITA brew that I will be glad to get out of my brew fridge! ?

Last night I also pitched some 1318 yeast slurry I've had in long storage into a 2 litre starter containing a 50/50 mix of dextrose & dried malt extract. It's really to test the viability of the yeast & see I can still use it for my next brew.....Mosaic Amber Ale. If it's no good, I'll just have to fork out for some new yeast.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Better luck with the next one Lusty. Your Mosaic Amber recipe produces a great beer (I probably made it worse by tweaking it when I brewed it).

As an aside, Mosaic is such a great hop that can really stand on its own. I had a cheeky taste of my Mosaic Rye lager last night. Hardly fair on the beer since its only been 1 week in the bottle. It obviously needs another week or 3 conditioning time, but the way the Mosaic presents is really nice, even with the very moderate hopping rates (1.5 g/l @5mins, 1.5 g/l @flameout and 3 g/l dry hop). Hope it comes out similarly tasty for you!

Cheers, 

John

On 6/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, Beerlust said:

...Last night I also pitched some 1318 yeast slurry I've had in long storage into a 2 litre starter containing a 50/50 mix of dextrose & dried malt extract. It's really to test the viability of the yeast & see I can still use it for my next brew.....Mosaic Amber Ale. If it's no good, I'll just have to fork out for some new yeast.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

1318_Starter.jpg

...yeah I'd say it's viable.?

For those interested, this batch of yeast was stored mid July, 2017.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just got home tonight from work & the buggar has overflowed & made a mess again! LOL

Another tea towel in the wash. ?

It all smells really good though, so appears fine to use on the upcoming brew. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived