Coopers Community

1 can of this, 1 can of that

When I made my version of the old #3 Burton ale,I used 2 OS cans,a 3lb bag of plain Munton's light DME,& 3oz of hops for flavor. I re-hydrtated 4/7g cooper's yeast packets for the 1.065OG wort. It got down to 1.017FG,for 6.8%. Clear,rusty amber ale that was quite good.

Hiya Outlaw Parrot.

Your latest brew recipe has grabbed my attention. I will admit though, there is no way in heck I'm gonna throw 2 x 1.7kg tins into the one brew though. Enjoy the ABV on that one!

I was just curious about...

I added 500g Manuka Honey to this brew on day 7, it has fired up the kraussen again

..if that phrase means that by adding the honey in at day 7 it has reactivated the yeast?

If so, why would you add the honey in at day 7 instead of in the initial brew.

The reason I ask is because I just put down a brew 2 days ago where I added about 375gms of honey into the initial brew in place of dextrose. I was just wondering what difference it makes by adding it into the brew at that point, & why you would do that?

BeeR.

Hey Beerlust,

Yes the ABV is what i am after with this one.

Yes i added the honey on day 7, refiring the kraussen, I added the honey on day 7 because i read that this procedure should leave some residual honey flavour.

Oh i also dry hopped another 35g of Fuggles on day 5.

Cheers,

Parrot

I think Beerlust is referring to 3.2kg of kit plus other fermentables, such as Parrot has used in his recipe. But extra fermentables is not just about ABV%, alcohol is a flavour enhancer and with time in the bottle high ABV brews tend to develop some interesting character. The problem is at 8+% you need to take your time to savour the brew, it is not as though you can put away half a dozen of them. Well I suppose you could but [sick] . I have to admit I do brew with ABV in mind, I'm looking to be between 4% and 5.2% most of the time. I find the flavour & enjoyment of a 3.4% beer is a bit wanting and I find that over 5.2% I tend to drink the same amount and that leaves me wanting .... aspirin [sideways].

Hey Nelson,

I do intend on putting this one away to mature and develop flavours, yes the ABV will be 8%+ but this is not a beer that you drink 6 in one session, i think you might need a bit more than asprins [lol]

I am hoping this beer will develop some interesting heavenly flavour so it will be like drinking a top shelf scotch, for special occasions, like my birthday next July [cool]

Cheers,

Parrot

Archived