Coopers Community

1 can of this, 1 can of that

Hey all,

I have some brewing ingredients that i am tossing ideas around what to make.

Suggestions appreciated,this is what i have,

1 x can Coopers Pale Ale

1 x can Coopers Real Ale

1.5kg Dextrose

1kg Brewing sugar

2kg Brew Enhancer 2

1kg LDM

20g comercial yeast

35g Williamette

Cheers,

Parrot

[sick]

I don't think the yeast could stand the pressures of that amount of fermentables.

Outlaw Parrot indeed.

[sick] [sideways] [devil] [crying]

That's running close to 14%, if its possible for the yeast to munch through it all, and it won't be anything like a good bottle of red. Normally I'd say let the man brew what he want's to brew but in this case something is bound to fail.

As far as beer goes I believe that the 8% ESVA I turned out is almost at the maximum ABV for enjoyment, for instance I don't really enjoy a 6 pack of Spakling Ale, the next day [bandit] .

When you look through the strong beer recipes @ how to brew the RIS tops the list at 10%.

If you are really keen on a high ABV brew with what you've got then tweak the ESVA a little.

Both Cans

1 kg Dextrose

1 kg BE2

Dry Hop the Willamette

Make a started with both kit yeast packs.

I reckon this will go down nicely, in moderation ABV 8.5%, I used 250g of crstal 270 in mine. Had one, 230ml @ 38 weeks, last night very smooth [cool]

Hey guys' date=' I think he is saying 'this is what I have in my cupboard what can I do with it' rather than 'I'm throwing it all in the FV, what do you think'?[/quote']

Yeah good thinking Chris

Sorry for jumping to conclusions outlaw.

Anyhow still reckon you've got the gear there for an ESVA variant.

[sick]

Why don't you make two or three batches of beer with all that?

I don't think the yeast could stand the pressures of that amount of fermentables.

Why Williamette hops?

Hey Canadian,

I don't intend to throw all(well not quite all) my ingredients into one brew[pinched]

I was looking for recipe ideas for what i presently have.

Cheers,

Parrot

[sick]

Outlaw Parrot indeed.

[sick] [sideways] [devil] [crying]

That's running close to 14%, if its possible for the yeast to munch through it all, and it won't be anything like a good bottle of red. Normally I'd say let the man brew what he want's to brew but in this case something is bound to fail.

As far as beer goes I believe that the 8% ESVA I turned out is almost at the maximum ABV for enjoyment, for instance I don't really enjoy a 6 pack of Spakling Ale, the next day [bandit] .

When you look through the strong beer recipes @ how to brew the RIS tops the list at 10%.

If you are really keen on a high ABV brew with what you've got then tweak the ESVA a little.

Both Cans

1 kg Dextrose

1 kg BE2

Dry Hop the Willamette

Make a started with both kit yeast packs.

I reckon this will go down nicely, in moderation ABV 8.5%, I used 250g of crstal 270 in mine. Had one, 230ml @ 38 weeks, last night very smooth [cool]

Hey Nelson,

I may be and commit a few noob brewing errors, but i know little enough, not to throw all of it in one go [lol] Thank you for the advice though, someone else may have thrown the lot in.

Your ESVA variant looks like what i am looking for, i really like my high ABV beers, i mean, i rarley drink beer under 5.8% commercial.

I do not have a problem at all, myself drinking between 3-6 x 750ml Sparkling Ale, then being up at 6am.

On the other hand, Coopers Best Extra Stout, is the best sleeping medicine a man can get, 3 x 750ml and i sleep like a baby till 8am [lol] Thank Coopers for, Extra Stout(painkillers don't work on my back injury).

Nelson, i will make your recipe next, i think i will go to my LBS to buy some "Crystal 270" and i think i would like to put 30g of Fuggles(UK) intead of the Williamette i have.

Any special instructions for making this brew will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the recipe and advice[wink] Don't worry bout jumping the gun mate, it's very easy to do on the net and any forums.

Cheers,

Parrot

Hey guys' date=' I think he is saying 'this is what I have in my cupboard what can I do with it' rather than 'I'm throwing it all in the FV, what do you think'?[/quote']

Hey Chris,

On the ball there mate[cool]

Cheers,

parrot

What I do with crystal is grab a small pot/saucepan, on the stove heat about a litre of water to 70\xb0C, throw the 250g of crystal in, stir it around a bit, turn the stove off, whack a lid on, and leave it sit there for 30 mins. After 30 mins strain the liquid into another pot, if you like you can rinse the grains with another litre of 70\xb0C water which also goes in the second pot, then boil it for a few mins.

If you were doing a hop boil then this strained liquid goes into the hop boil pot, then just do your normal hop boil procedure.

Could you tell me' date=' how should i prep my "Crystal 270" ?[/quote']

Hey Outlaw

Crack them as Adam says and then steep them as per Otto's instruction. I get my grain uncracked, I place the grains in folded grease proof paper placed on a chopping board and crack them with a rolling pin.

As for the recipe I would leave out the BE2 if you are going with the grains.

The two cans, 1kg of Dextrose and 250g of Crystal should come out around 8% at 21 litres. Use a little LDM if you want higher ABV.

Hey Nelson,

Thanks for the info [wink]

How much LDM would you recommend, i'm thinking 250g - 500g max ?

Still waiting for my "Crystal 270" [pouty]

Thanks to Adam and Otto as well.

Cheers,

Parrot

I'd limit to 250g of LDM, don't need to balance out the bitterness too much.

Hey all,

Got my Crystal 270 [biggrin]

I have just steeped the cracked crystal 270, steeped my 50g of Fuggles and simmered both together for 10 mins.

I'm just about to mix the brew, so i'll let ya's know how it comes out in 9 months time when i crack the case.

I won't be putting any LDM.

Thanks again for the recipe Nelson.

Cheers,

Parrot

Hey all,

I mixed this brew last night,

1 x Coopers Real Ale

1 x Coopers Pale ale

1KG Brewing Sugar

250g Muntons Crystal 270, Steeped for 30mins @ 70

50g Fuggles steeped for 20mins, then Crystal and Fuggles simmered for 10 mins.

14g Coopers Yeast, pitched @ 22

Just had a wiff and the aromas coming out of my FV are heavenly [love]

From the aromas already, i know i will be brewing this one again [biggrin]

Cheers,

Parrot

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

I mixed this brew last night,

1 x Coopers Real Ale

1 x Coopers Pale ale

1KG Brewing Sugar

250g Muntons Crystal 270, Steeped for 30mins @ 70

50g Fuggles steeped for 20mins, then Crystal and Fuggles simmered for 10 mins.

14g Coopers Yeast, pitched @ 22

Just had a wiff and the aromas coming out of my FV are heavenly [love]

From the aromas already, i know i will be brewing this one again [biggrin]

Cheers,

Parrot

I added 500g Manuka Honey to this brew on day 7, it has fired up the kraussen again [cool]

Cheers,

Parrot

Hiya Outlaw Parrot.

Your latest brew recipe has grabbed my attention. I will admit though, there is no way in heck I'm gonna throw 2 x 1.7kg tins into the one brew though. Enjoy the ABV on that one!

I was just curious about...

I added 500g Manuka Honey to this brew on day 7, it has fired up the kraussen again

..if that phrase means that by adding the honey in at day 7 it has reactivated the yeast?

If so, why would you add the honey in at day 7 instead of in the initial brew.

The reason I ask is because I just put down a brew 2 days ago where I added about 375gms of honey into the initial brew in place of dextrose. I was just wondering what difference it makes by adding it into the brew at that point, & why you would do that?

BeeR.

With all the true sugar based fermentables in that recipe & the fact the Fuggles is only steeped for 20mins, if Parrot cops any real serious bitterness from that recipe, I'll be a monkeys uncle!

Otto, please let me clarify...

there is no way in heck I'm gonna throw 2 x 1.7kg tins into the one brew though.

3.4kgs is plenty of base weight for me to create a good brew covering all styles.

At the end of the day, I am interested in taste & flavour, not final ABV. If the two actually meet to achieve great taste & flavour, so be it.

Yes well I don't make it with ABV in mind either, unless the style calls for it, but when you compare 3.4kg of malt vs 3.2kg it's not that different.

I wouldn't know how bitter Parrot's recipe would turn out though but the sugar won't do anything except boost ABV, it ferments out leaving no residual sweetness.. unless I've misunderstood your comment[lol]

The only obvious bittering agent seems to be the Fuggles, & although the 50gms is almost double a standard amount for a 23L bittering size additive, he is only steeping it for 20mins so it's gonna add more flavour than bitterness IMHO.

Add to that 500gms of honey @ 7 days, & to me bitterness has to be somewhat subdued.

What do you think?

Both of the Coopers kits are bittered so thats where the bitterness comes from.

I wouldn't say that 25g was the standard amount for a 23 litre bittering size additive. I would say there isn't a standard.

Different styles of beer call for different bittering and hops have different AA%. You should design your recipe to be in balance.

Also, my earlier comments on bitterness were in relation to toucans generally and not specifically to Parrot's recipe.

but when you compare 3.4kg of malt vs 3.2kg it's not that different.

I think Beerlust is referring to 3.2kg of kit plus other fermentables, such as Parrot has used in his recipe. But extra fermentables is not just about ABV%, alcohol is a flavour enhancer and with time in the bottle high ABV brews tend to develop some interesting character. The problem is at 8+% you need to take your time to savour the brew, it is not as though you can put away half a dozen of them. Well I suppose you could but [sick] . I have to admit I do brew with ABV in mind, I'm looking to be between 4% and 5.2% most of the time. I find the flavour & enjoyment of a 3.4% beer is a bit wanting and I find that over 5.2% I tend to drink the same amount and that leaves me wanting .... aspirin [sideways].

Archived