Coopers Community

New Cider Recipe!

RyanP4

[biggrin] My first try at cider was about 2 months ago and I used 2 peeled green apples cut into quarters, 2.5L of Berri apple juice, a blackrock nz apple cider can with 1kg of dextrose.

Turned out bloody marvelous but a little weak on the tongue in terms of cider flavour, being a real hoppy beer lover, I decided to make a strong cider and see how it went. Here is the recipe I've put together.

1x Blackrock Apple Cider Can

2x Berri 2.4L Apple Juice - No preservatives/additives

1.5kg Strawberries

8x Pink Lady Apples

2x Limes

1kg Dextrose

Grab a 5L pot and a clean Fermenter. Bring 2L of water to the boil. Add the can of Blackrock apple cider can to the water in the pot. Slowly add the 1kg of Dextrose while stirring so that it doesn't clump. Let that stay on a low heat while you peel the apples, core and quarter them. Pour the apple juice into the fermenter. Get the yeast into a small cup of water to activate it. Add the quarters to the juice in the fermenter, strip the stems/leaves off the strawberries and add them in whole. Peel the limes and cut into quarters, add these also. Pour the pot into the fermenter and top up the water to 22L - add the cup of activated yeast. Initial SG reading should be around about 1052. I added the yeast at 23 degrees, and is now at a constant of between 18-19 degrees.

Let me know your thoughts on the combination. Cheers!

The reason I chose these fruits is because I regularly juice strawberries/apples/limes together and drink it. So I thought it would be a cracking cider.

I considered juicing them and removing the pulp, but I didn't want the strawberry to be overpowering like it is in the Rekordalig cider. The brew isn't infected, it is bubbling away nicely with no krausen as a cider usually should :)maybe I got lucky? But I did pour the boiling brew in the pot over the strawberries so the bacteria/nasties probably got boiled out in the process.

Cheers

I put down a slight variation of this cider recipe yesterday.

I only used 1 bottle of Berri Apple Juice, 4 Granny Smith Apples, 750g Strawberries but everything else I followed the same. Just put all the prepared fruit into a hop tea sock and used my brewing spoon to hold it down the bottom of the fermenter.

Can't wait to taste it.

Boys i will be very interested to know how these turned out.Have tried to do a cider 1x blackrock apple,1x mangrove jack peach both by the book the i thought they where alright but the cider drinkers thought they lacked depth,have just bottled a mangrove jack apple into which i poured 1 lt.of apple juice so waiting to taste see if that gave it something.

Cheers & Beers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Overly impressed and fair chuffed how this one turned out! I brought it out at a dinner party after they asked for some champagne. Brought this out and said it was a strawberry apple champagne. Many bottles later, it is a house favourite with the partner demanding I make more... It's a double edged sword making a cracking brew sometimes....

• 1 month later...

I've just put down my first cider as well, used a cheap brigalow kit(swear word lol), 4 litres of Just Juice apple juice and 1kg of CSR sugar.

It had a starting gravity of 1043 and is now happily bubbling away on the bench top at around 23-24C.

I had heard the cider kits are a bit lacking in flavour so hence I chucked in some extra juice, quite looking forward to trying the end product after a month or so in the cellar.

Going to put the same brew down again, only this time I'm going to throw in maybe 6 litres of apple,blackcurrant,raspberry and strawberry flavoured juice and see if I get any subtle extra flavours in the final product, this juice is only 5% of the berries the rest being apple. I'm a bit unsure about what if any flavour it will impart. But I'll give it a lash anyway.

Might chuck in 250g of lactose as well.

Then I'll get back to the beers for a bit.

Cheers

Mick

Nice recipe mate!!!! Gonna have to give that a crack. I just bottled my first cider on New Years Day. (1-1-13). Recipe was:

Black Rock Apple Cider (NZ)

1kg Brewing Sugar (Brewcraft Blend 15 Brew Booster)

Top Shelf Apple Schnapps essence

500g Lactose (If you like a sweet cider?)

SN9 Yeast

Brewed to 18 litres but I swapped 6 litres water with 6 litres of Coles Apple Juice.

OG - 1068

FG- 1012

ABV -6.8%

Just sampled couple long necks today and its good, but little dissapointed to be honest. Hoping after couple more weeks bottle conditioning might be better. Has ended up bit bitter? Not sure how to describe. Maybe the Coles Apple Juice had effect on it? I know its supposed to have no preservatives, as far as Im aware Coles Apple Juice has no preservatives and yeast has worked so should be okay? Any tips/advice would be appreciated dudes. Cheers!!

• 4 months later...

Hi All/Ryan,

Put this one down on the weekend and on the advice from the LHBS am dry hopping the fruit in after ferment to avoid any potential infections... and had a brain wave. How long did you all leave your fruit in the brew? Ill be fermenting the usual 2 weeks and had a few reservations about leaving fruit in the brew for around 10 days?

My Thoughts:

1. The alcohol present in the FV preserves the fruit and can be left for the full 10 days?

2. Pull the fruit out earlier, but how early..?

Any comments welcome...

Cheers,

AB

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the method used for this recipe?

I want to try my first cider and this one looks good.

I don't suppose anyone can tell me how sweet the cider was, say compared to a strongbow original or something?

Alex,

My recipe slightly deviated from Ryans (i dry hopped all my fruit after the initial ferment and used about 400g lactose in the end - like my cider sweet). I bottled mine yesterday so i can give you an update once ive cracked one in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

AB

Archived