Coopers Community

Next Step

ash

Hi Brewmasters,all my brews to date have been the basic type ie.the ones on the how to brew section,i would like to try a recipie or two using the different malts/grains,so i'am looking for a recipie to start with from you guys if you don't mind sharing.Looking forward to taking the next step.

Are you steeping grains yet? or are we talking partial mash??

Unfortunately partials are not economical for us up here on the coast as the only place to get base grains from is Craftbrewer in Brisbane. I get bulk deliveries from them to make it worth while and I would be more than happy share the delivery with you.

If your just talking steeping than you are really limited to crystal and chocolate, these you can get from either Stu's in Maroochy or the guy in Caloundra in 500g bags.

If its your first attempt then adding 250g of crystal works wonders in a pale ale, alternatively throw the whole 500g of chocolate at a can of stout.

Couple of my simple go to beers, change the hops up to your liking.

Pale ale:

1 can Coopers pale ale

1kg Light dry malt extract

250g of crystal (crushed and steeped for 30 mins at 70\xb0c)

11g Safale US-05 (Or Brewcraft American ale yeast)

15g Cascade hops at 15 & 7mins

20g Cascade dry hopped 3/4 days into fermentation

Stout:

1 can Coopers OS stout

1kg dark dry malt extract

500g chocolate malt (crushed and steeped for 30 mins at 70\xb0c)

11g Safale US-04 (Or Brewcraft English ale yeast)

10g Fuggles at 15 & 7mins

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately partials are not economical for us up here on the coast as the only place to get base grains from is Craftbrewer in Brisbane. I get bulk deliveries from them to make it worth while and I would be more than happy share the delivery with you.

Pale ale:

1 can Coopers pale ale

1kg Light dry malt extract

250g of crystal (crushed and steeped for 30 mins at 70\xb0c)

11g Safale US-05 (Or Brewcraft American ale yeast)

15g Cascade hops at 15 & 7mins

20g Cascade dry hopped 3/4 days into fermentation

Hey Graham,Tried your Pale Ale recipie after 3 weeks in the bottle very nice could be my go to brew for awhile.[lol]

I dont believe you' date=' Im going to have to pop around for a bottle just to make sure your telling the truth.....[joyful']

You don't believe me,i put faith in your recipe, do you try & give me a curve ball {brew}[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Hi Ash and Graham, good to hear and read the banter between you fellow sunny coasters.

The CPA is my personal favourite and reading Grahams recipe has got my mouth watering. It has also solved the conundrum of "what to brew next" I have never used grain, but old mate at the Nambour HBS has got some and i'll pick some up after work on monday. is there an easy way to steep at a constant 70 degrees and is it critical? Also Graham, i didnt think that CPA could get much better. What improvements does the crystal and hops make?

Hi Ash and Graham, good to hear and read the banter between you fellow sunny coasters.

The CPA is my personal favourite and reading Grahams recipe has got my mouth watering. It has also solved the conundrum of "what to brew next" I have never used grain, but old mate at the Nambour HBS has got some and i'll pick some up after work on monday. is there an easy way to steep at a constant 70 degrees and is it critical? Also Graham, i didnt think that CPA could get much better. What improvements does the crystal and hops make?

Hi Nick,Grahams comments are gold like all other BREWMASTERS on here,i'am still a newbie compared to what some of these boys do. Have put down 50 odd brews but all 2 cans,plus water & throw in some yeast.[lol] [lol] Graham recipe i did was very nice & i have put another down.The crystal i bought to the boil then let sit (steep) for 30mins,right or wrong it worked for me.[happy] [happy]

You don't need to bring grains to the boil. In fact it's not a good practice, it can extract tannins from the grains which don't impart nice flavours. I have read of people bringing water to the boil and then taking it off the heat and then chucking the grains in with no worries. I personally just heat it to around 70C in a pot, throw the grains in, put the lid on and leave it. It's not critical that it stays at 70C or whatever it is, it won't drop much in half an hour anyway. Obviously now I'm doing all grain it all just goes in the mash with the rest of the grain, but with extracts/kits, the pot method is the way to go.

You don't need to bring grains to the boil. In fact it's not a good practice' date=' it can extract tannins from the grains which don't impart nice flavours. I have read of people bringing water to the boil and then taking it off the heat and then chucking the grains in with no worries. I personally just heat it to around 70C in a pot, throw the grains in, put the lid on and leave it. It's not critical that it stays at 70C or whatever it is, it won't drop much in half an hour anyway. Obviously now I'm doing all grain it all just goes in the mash with the rest of the grain, but with extracts/kits, the pot method is the way to go. [/quote']

Thanks Otto.no more bringing to boil,(has to be next time now).stay safe from those mongrel school kids.

• 5 years later...

Question, where do I put the hops in for the 15 and 7 minute time? Once I have steeped the grains do I then remove the grains and bring the liquid to a boil? If so how long does it need to boil for? Also what amount of water do I use to steep the grains?

Cheers

remove the grains from the liquid. boil time is 15mins till the end of the boil and 7 mins till the end of the boil. so basically bring the liquid to the boil then add the 15mins hops, boil for 8mins then add the 7min hops and boil for another 7mins. once the 7mins is up take off the heat. probably should cool the liquid by putting the pot in the sink running some cool water around on the outside. strain the hops out when you pour the liquid into the fermenter.

Archived