Coopers Community

My Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone

Soundawake

I very rarely do three hop brews of my own concoction for that reason. My small brain can handle two hops and that's about it [biggrin]

My triple hop brews are usually recipes I have ripped off people smarter than me.

Yeah Scottie, when done right Galaxy is definitely droolworthy. I have had a beer that was overdone with it though, and it was not good.

20g @ 40 mins seems like a lot, its a real high alpha acid hop.

What did the final IBU end up being? It sounds like it turned out fine though!!!!

He Soundy

With a six litre boil this one registers 35.8 IBU on IanH's spreadsheet. I am still keen to try your original recipe, however I am still finding my way with extract-only brewing and this was only my second brew. My first was not bitter enough (even though the spreadsheet said 33IBU) so I wanted to push this one up a bit, I should have done your recipe first.

I've got two more extract-only brews kegged, a LCPA @ 27IBU and a Southern Cross @ 39IBU. The LCPA is a little on the low side but my original with the can was about the same and I loveit. Actually got two kits & bits in the FV at the minute, as they were two recipes that I wanted to try. Once they are kegged I'll have six in rotation and I intend to put down 2 extract-only brews as kegs become available.

The running list is:

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and Soundawake's Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Neill's Halletau Bomb & A Mornington Pale Ale

Styx River Pale Ale & Styx River Pale Ale (Partial)

• 2 years later...

What do you guys think if i made something along the lines of Soundawake or Scottie's recipe. Only using a Coopers Pale Ale can (as i have one sitting around) in place of the 1.5kg liquid malt can? Results should be fairly similar yeah? Just a little off with the already added hops to the pale ale can?

I am thinking either this or the fruit salad ale. What commercial beer would you say the fruit salad ale is most alike? Is it along the lines of an american pale ale with fruitiness and then a strong hop bitterness?

Never done the Fruit Salad Ale, as I've been brewing AG for about 2 and a half years now and haven't done a kit or extract since I started (except a quick throw down EB kit about a year ago). So I can't really tell you what it tastes like. innocent

If you were to do a recipe like Soundawake's or Scottie's, you could use a Pale Ale tin, you just wouldn't need to add as many hops to it, or boil them for as long. You could ditch the 40 minute addition and probably start the additions from 15 minutes downwards.

• 4 months later...

I want to put down a similar recipe -

1.7 Light Dry Malt

1kg dry wheat malt

5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

But using http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/ it s ays it will be 5.35 IBU as an extract brew method. Should I do the same recipe with a 10-11 L Boil and 10gams at 30mins. According to the site this will make it almost 18 IBU the same as the product is. Any tips would be good. I normaly boil 4L when doing hops and didnt realise how much the quantity changed the IBU ratings.

Hey Shibby

I reckon it will be too sweet, even the 2nd boil option. I don't know how you like your beers, however I prefer to err on the bitter side as I find beers on the sweet side to difficult to stomach. In my version I was really worried about the lack of bitterness in my hop schedule.

I would look at 10g at 40 mins as a minimum.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thanks for that Scottie. I prefer bitter beers, but I want this one to be as close to the original as I can, as its for a friend, he loves it and he has only ever drunk Miller beers before .....

Im confused on the amount of water in the boil to use.

Using http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

If I follow the recipe with 10G @ 40min with everything the same, and 6L of water it says the IBU will be 10.

So i really need to use around 10L of water, is this normal as it would be harder to cool.

I have uploaded my screenshots if you see anything that looks wrong cheers.

I understand where Scottie is coming from. S&W Pacific Ale isn't very bitter but it is also fairly dry; there isn't much sweetness there.

But it isn't brewed with extract and they control the mash to produce a more fermentable wort. Liquid and dry extract tends to leave more residual sweetness. So perhaps increase the bitterness a little and maybe replace some malt with dextrose.

• 4 months later...

@Soundawake Hi guys! I am new to this forum and was wondering if you could please post a step by step guide for the making of this beer? Iv got all the ingredients ready and understand the fermenting temperature should be arounf 16-23 degrees. But im after the procedure of what ingredients and when to add them either to the boil or fermenter itself?

Sorry for the hassle. I love this beer and want to brew it as intended and im still new to how everything works.

cheers,

Shaun.

@Soundawake Hi guys! I am new to this forum and was wondering if you could please post a step by step guide for the making of this beer? Iv got all the ingredients ready and understand the fermenting temperature should be arounf 16-23 degrees. But im after the procedure of what ingredients and when to add them either to the boil or fermenter itself?

Sorry for the hassle. I love this beer and want to brew it as intended and im still new to how everything works.

cheers' date='

Shaun.[/quote']

Is it the following recipe you are using (from post #1)?

1x can Coopers liquid light malt

1kg dry wheat malt

300grams dex

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

If so, get yourself a pot that holds over 5 litres. Mix 5 litres of water with 500g of wheat malt and bring it to boil. A gentle rolling boil is fine.

With regards to the minutes in the hop schedule, this is the time period that those hops will be boiled. So add 5g Galaxy at the start of the boil. 15 minutes later add another 15g. 10 minutes later add another 15g. After 5 more minutes, turn the stove off and add 15g.

Leave it for a few minutes and then start to chill the pot in the sink with some cold water. i.e. sit the pot in the water.

Strain the liquid from the pot into the fermenter and add all the other ingredients as you normally would.

It may be prudent to have some cold water on hand to add to the fermenter to reach a decent pitching temperature. Otherwise make sure that the liquid in the pot has cooled sufficiently.

You will find it all really easy. Good luck with it.

• 1 year later...

Just a bit of thread mining.......

I brewed something that I thought was in the vein of S&W Pacific Ale, until I had 2 bottles recently and now I know I have doubled the original's level of IBUs......

Based on the kit IBU calcs of 340*.85/10 puts me at 28.9 IBU for the kit alone.

Unless I've completely buggered up the Brewersfriend.com IBU calcs for my hop addition I think my hop schedule then added approx 27 IBU.

All I know is it is way more in your face then what I was expecting. I should have paid more attention to the AA %.

This was the recipe of my APA/Galaxy brew (10L)

850gm Coopers Australian Pale Ale (1/2 can)

250gm Light Dry Malt

200gm Dextrose

10gm Galaxy 15.1% AA @ 30 mins

10gm Galaxy 15.1% AA @ 10 mins

10gm Galaxy 15.1% AA @ 0 mins

15gm Galaxy (tea bag) @ Cold Crash

Kit yeast

10L

3.5L boil with .85kg APA plus .25kg LDM

Pitched: 21 degrees (12 hours)

Fermentation: 18 degrees (7 days)

Cold crashed: 4 degrees (7 days)

OG: 1044

FG: 1010

ABV: 4.7%

IBU: 45ish

Next time I will use LME instead of the APA and pay more attention to me hops AA%. Still very drinkable though, just not what I was aiming for. whistling

Firstly nothing wrong wit ha bit of thread mining Jaydub. I did the exact thing with this one when I devised my S&W Pacific Ale clone - Soundawake was great inspiration and I got a great beer out of it.

3.5L boil with .85kg APA plus .25kg LDM

This statement - Are you saying you added 1/2 can of APA and 250gm LDM with 3.5L for the boil? If you did' date=' then that explains the bitterness. By boiling a late-hopped kit brew you will increase IBUs considerably.

Here is a link to my recipe of S&W Pacific Ale. Extract for me is the way to go - better control of hop additions, IBUs, flavours, etc.

Def a crowd pleaser, even my wife took a second sip of this beer - and that is a remarkable feat as she is not a beer drinker at all!

Yep, i did do the boil with the kit. Didnt realise that was also going to compound the bitterness levels. To me it tastes alot more bitter than mod to high 40 IBU's so i now know not to do that again. To taste, i would put it in the IPA bitterness category of close to 60ish but without the hop complexity and depth of a true IPA.

Definitely a lesson learnt and once clear my current stocks of kits i will most likely stick to unhopped liquid extract for a while until i learn a few more lessons.

Still gonna try to replicate the Pacific Ale though and should be much better equipped to do so after this batch.

• 1 year later...

I know i'm several years late to this thread. I am a very new brewer, i'm looking to do this as my first brew. My first question is the 1kg dry wheat malt in the recipe, is this an extract? And it says to use 500 grams, i take this is saving the remaining 500 grams for another brew? Please correct me if it needs to go in at another stage. Also how many grams of the yeast would I be looking to add? Thanks for any answers!

My first question is the 1kg dry wheat malt in the recipe' date=' [/quote']

Yes it would be, and yes you can save the rest for later.

You could also use half a can of Coopers Wheat Malt.

the kit yeast should be adequate.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I know I'm raising the dead with this one a bit (it is nearly Halloween after all) but I wanted to ask a newbie question.

I want to make a Pacific Ale clone in the craft brew kit to see how it goes, and I came up with the following after reading a few things and playing around with "The Spreadsheet", then I found this recipe.

But here's my crack at it:

0.8kg Unhopped Pale Malt

0.3kg Wheat Dry Malt

0.1kg light Crystal Malt grain - steeped overnight in 2l water

5g Galaxy boil 30 mins

10g Galaxy boil 10 min

10g Galaxy dry hop

Made up to 9L and I was looking to use US05.

Not sure if I should have based this on an Australian Pale Ale style, but it hits all the marks on the spreadsheet except for the FG which appears a touch high at 1.010, but it's probably OK.

Any tips would be apreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie

I’m keen to give it a crack as soon as I get a brew fridge (hopefully next weekend). The only thing I’m really concerned about is the hops. The iBU seems a touch high in the high 20’s but I think the real one is low 20’s.

Thinking of cutting down the boil time, but then do I not get enough bitterness overall?

Hi Newbrews.

You look to have only 25gms of Galaxy to use for this brew, so based on that I'd boil 15gms for 15-20mins then turn the flame off & add the remaining 10gms & steep for 5mins before cooling the wort & mixing with the remaining ingredients in your fermenter.

That regime should give the best 'bang for your buck' for 25gms of Galaxy hops without creating excessive bitterness.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2011 at 3:44 AM, Soundawake said:

Hello gents (and ladies),

Not sure if you've ever tried Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, it won best Australian beer of 2011 at some beer awards thingo. Its DELICIOUS. It uses only Galaxy hops.

Anyway, I decided to make a clone of it, and I've just cracked my first one and I'll be buggered if I haven't nailed it. So I've come to share it all with you. If you are after a summerly quaffable ale, this is for you!!

1x can Coopers liquid light malt

1kg dry wheat malt

300grams dex

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

I'd for someone to give it a go and report back... I sourced all my ingredients from Beer Belly.

Archived