Coopers Community

My Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone

Soundawake

Hello gents (and ladies),

Not sure if you've ever tried Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, it won best Australian beer of 2011 at some beer awards thingo. Its DELICIOUS. It uses only Galaxy hops.

Anyway, I decided to make a clone of it, and I've just cracked my first one and I'll be buggered if I haven't nailed it. So I've come to share it all with you. If you are after a summerly quaffable ale, this is for you!!

1x can Coopers liquid light malt

1kg dry wheat malt

300grams dex

5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

I'd for someone to give it a go and report back... I sourced all my ingredients from Beer Belly.

Soundawake, I'l giver her a go, thanks. That two new ones I've got counting Muddy's Four Hopsman of the Apocalypse.

Which horse was yours Muddy , there was a Pale horse, a Black horse, a Red horse and a White horse.Rev 6-1

Weggl

Ho pale ryder...woe unto thee who woudst cross thy path. For thou wilt reward all...WITH DEATH!! My little Revelation moment. Also used in "The Dream Lords" trilogy with the hero,Gallad Sarian.

Sounds interesting. I came up with a recipe for my wife to brew,a Sam Adam's summer ale clone. Wish I'd have remembered it had grains of paradise in it. But I did find this box of little packets of crystallized lemon juice in it. Gunna add some to the priming solution for the lemon flavor the ale has. The recipe list;

1 can cooper's OS lager

1lb (454g) Munton's plain light DME

1lb (454g) Munton's plain wheat DME

1oz (28g) raw US Golding @ 20mins

1oz (28g) raw Willamette @ 12mins

1) 7g cooper's ale yeast packet,re-hydrated

OG 1.042

Brewed to 23L (6G)

I used both bags of DME in the boil to do the hop additions. Then add the OS lager can at flame out.

Interesting that Hop Union calls them "raw hops",whereas LD Carlson calls them "whole leaf",same thing. But the haul I got from Hop Union was the new crop! And the only Stone & wood I knew up to this point was the old Stone,Woods & Cook '41 Willy's gasser back in my day. Well,them & Glen & Leonard Wood,the famous Wood's Brothers of NASCAR fame...

• 1 month later...

Well, here's an update -

This brew is still great after 2 months. I'm running out of it very quickly, so decided to make it again with a couple of tweaks. The first brew, due to all the wheat malt has loads of sediment so I've had to make sure the bottle sits upright in the fridge for a while before pouring or it comes out like a soup.

So, this time instead of 1kg of dry wheat malt I've done 750g wheat malt and 250g light dry malt.

Also started the boil with 5g galaxy at 25 mins instead of 30 to take an edge off the bitterness. I also only used 250G of dex instead of 300 as its all I had left - d'oh!!!

I substituted US05 for the Wyeast 1056 liquid yeast.

One problem though... my idiot friend poured too much water into the fermenter as I was stirring and I have ended up with 24.2 litres instead of 23L... grrrrr. Oh well.

Now I have a cellar its sitting in there at 20.3 degrees.... spot on. We shall see how this one turns out!!

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the original recipe Soundawake. I really like this beer. Great for summer around the corner, a real lawn mower beer IMO. Really hoppy and low bitterness. I never got the cloudiness on pouring but I do stand them up in the fridge for a few days prior to drinking. Go to put another one down after I get Weggle's wipper snipper mark 3 out of the fermenter (first time for this one).

How did the 2nd version taste compared to the first?

Hey Soundawake

Why did you go for dry wheat malt, and not a can of Coopers liquid wheat malt?

It's really good timing that you put started this thread off, as I'm interested in having a go at a something along these lines.

I was thinking (to about 22L)

1.50kg LME (pale malt)

1.50kg LME (wheat malt)

0.50kg DME (pale malt)

0.25kg carapils (to help with head retention)

And Galaxy hops similar to your hop schedule, whatever it takes to get to 20-25 IBU (is that about right?)

How'd the yeast change go? I was thinking US05 would be the go.

-Dyl

• 2 months later...
I'm interested in having a go at a something along these lines.

I was thinking (to about 22L)

1.50kg LME (pale malt)

1.50kg LME (wheat malt)

0.50kg DME (pale malt)

0.25kg carapils (to help with head retention)

And Galaxy hops similar to your hop schedule, whatever it takes to get to 20-25 IBU (is that about right?)

-Dyl

Hey Dyl

Did you ever have a crack at this one? My recent hop order included some Galaxy for a LCPA attempt and I reckon I'll have enough left over for a Pacific Ale. I'll be using 1,5kg eack of LME and WME as well as Wyeast 1056 (US05) risned from the trub.

Keen to here if yours was as good as Sondawake or even what Soundawake's second brew was like [unsure]

Hey .../Nelson /Will /Scottie /...

Yep, I made it and drank one last night actually. I reckon mine is quite a bit more bitter than the original. By my palate, about halfway between the S&W PA and LCPA. So I'd have a look back at Soundawake's hopping schedule if you want to be closer to the original.

My version (below) has a lot more late hop character, and higher bitterness. As a guide, a friend described it as all the skunk of an IPA, but not quite as bitter. That's not how I'd describe the S&W PA, which is pretty clean.

My final recipe:

To 24L using US05

1.5kg LME

1.5kg WLME

0.5kg light DME

0.2kg carapils

5L boil

15g galaxy for 40 mins

15g galaxy for 15 mins

15g galaxy for 5 mins

25g galaxy dry hopped

Maybe get rid of the 5 minute addition, or reduce it. Also perhaps cut back on the early addition, or reduce time to 30 mins.

Hope that helps.

-Dyl

Yep' date=' I made it and drank one last night actually. I reckon mine is quite a bit more bitter than the original. By my palate, about halfway between the S&W PA and LCPA. [/quote']

Thanks Dyl

I've never actually tasted the Stone & Wood but found the recipe so appealing back in September when you posted that I saved it to my Favourites. I do [love] LCPA and my previous attempt with Citra and Cascade was quite good.

This is certainly on my to do list, but because I am also doing a LCPA I will take your advice and lean towards Soundawake's hop schedule but using your malt base.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Soundie, Dyl & Adam

Brewing this one right now with a 40 minute boil, Galaxy hop boil[love]

My rendition

22 litres (I pitch the whole starter wort)

Coopers LME 1.5kg

Coopers WME 1.5kg

Pale Crystal 200g

20 @ 40 mins

15 @ 25 mins

15 @ 10 mins

10 @ day 4

250 ml rinsed 1056 in a 1 litre starter, looking to pitch close to 18'C but will be a struggle given the 6 litre boil.

Leaned more towards Dyl's hop schedule as that gave the IBUs that I'm after, hopefully though the 25 min will reduce some of the "skunk", although a little "skunk" wouldn't be a bad thing.

Edit: Yeast pitched at 22'C, not too bad given the ambient is 20'C.

Hey Scottie

Looks good. I wouldn't have bothered with the pale crystal if you're trying to match the original.

That being said, it looks like it will be awesome.

And on the 'skunk', definitely taste it before you dry hop it (if it's not too late). Then decide whether to dry hop or not.

-Dyl

• 1 month later...

Wow [w00t]

Just pulled one of these after 3.7 weeks in the keg (3 weeks in the FV). I don't know if it tastes anything like a Stone and Wood but Wow [w00t].

Ended up Dry hopping with onhly 10g of Galaxy and Wow [w00t]

BTW did I say this is a good beer [biggrin]

Hello gentlemen,

Shit, I never saw those replies from Sept onwards! Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

My 2nd batch didn't work out half as good. If I were to do it again I'd definitely do it the 1st way.

Yeah Scottie, when done right Galaxy is definitely droolworthy. I have had a beer that was overdone with it though, and it was not good.

20g @ 40 mins seems like a lot, its a real high alpha acid hop.

What did the final IBU end up being? It sounds like it turned out fine though!!!! Amazingly just by chance too, I'm actually drinking a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale right now!! Although sadly this one I think has been affected by the nationwide heatwave. Very fizzy, sharp metallic bitey taste and muted hops.

I need to do another Galaxy beer. Next one on the list Will use Centennial and Citra.

G'day guys.

I've been monitoring this thread with interest since Soundawake's first post. I've been interested in the posts since but haven't posted anything myself due to lack of knowledge on the hop & the S&W Pacific Ale beer. Until recently...

Purely because of how highly many of the guys on the forum rated the hop & the commercial beer, I just had to buy the S&W beer & try it for myself. [rightful]

I found the beer itself a little lacking in body & even in boldness of flavour (I guess I was sort of expecting a LCPA type profile, but with galaxy at the helm). However, the flavour given off by the Galaxy hop I found very nice. [happy]

Having now tried the commercial beer & read all of the thoughts from you guys in this thread, I'm going to place this hop in the "mixed basket". The hop has some very distinctive characteristics, that I believe will compliment other types of hops in a brew, but I don't know if I'd make a brew with it as the sole hop used throughout.

I currently have Scottie's 'Styx River Pale' in the FV that uses Galaxy, so I'll have a more informed view about the hop after a few tasters of that brew in a few weeks time. [cool]

Just my thoughts.

Anthony.

I really like Galaxy and I don't mind it on its own' date=' but mixed with Cascade it is superb [love']

You should try that combination Lusty.

You read my mind Hairy! [lol]

Cascade or Amarillo, I was thinking. [biggrin]

Currently Scottie's Styx River recipe has me interested, not solely because it is Galaxy & Willamette, but more because it is High Alpha mixed with Low Alpha. The melding of high & low alpha level hops that compliment one another, does intrigue me. [ninja]

Anthony.

Cascade or Amarillo' date=' I was thinking. [biggrin']

Or all three.

My last brew contained Cascade, Amarillo and Galaxy and was very nice.

Ahhh...But how to place them in the boil for the end profile you want. The mind does boggle.

I swear it's like trying to solve a 'Rubik's Cube' sometimes! A hop on each side & then how to position it? [lol]

Anthony. [biggrin]

Archived