Coopers Community

Mango Brew

BenL12

I am thinking of doing a Mango beer but unsure of the best way to go around it? Is it better to use mango nectar?(ie the golden circle stuff off the shelf) or go for fresh mango and strain boil etc?

Any help or recipes would be great.

Cheers

I was lucky enough to talk to the head brewer of Matso Brewery of Broome at a "food,wine and beer festival" in Fremantle about 12 months ago and a fellow home brewer and I asked about his Mango Beer, and how we would go about brewing it at home. His reply was rather simple. He said that all he used for the mango flavor was to use the mango extract 300ml-400ml. If you couldn't get that then the diluted stuff ie: 35% mango juice add about 600ml-800ml. He also went on to say that to just use a basic pale lager/ale with only bittering hops and a 50/50 blend of LDM/DEX. Add all the ingredients together including the mango juice in your FV and ferment as normal. I have done this to what he said and I did find it a bit boring....a breakfast beer as I call it. On a second attempt I brewed with Cooper wheat beer and 750gms of LDM and US05........much better. Couldn't be more simpler.

I just made and drunk a mango wine. Made it from Berri unpreserved Mango juice, off the shelf.

Just chucked in about 1/4 teaspoon of Coopers packaged ale yeast, shook it up well, screwed the cap on, then backed it off just a smidgen to let the gas out. Let it brew for 6 days then tightened the cap up and let the pressure build up, then chucked it in the fridge to halt the fermentation and drank it.

I did this experiment on a 1 L bottle of juice, it was great. One comment I got from one of the people who tasted it that they thought it was a mixture of Mango and champagne.

The sugar content of that juice is 11.7 g/100ml which gives it a strength of about 6%.

You can up the strength with some extra sugar. You could also let it brew out (go flat) and rebottle and prime. It is a good drink.

One of the people to try it was female she loved it. So if you want to impress the girls give it a whirl.[love] [love] [love]

Warren

I just made and drunk a mango wine. Made it from Berri unpreserved Mango juice, off the shelf.

Just chucked in about 1/4 teaspoon of Coopers packaged ale yeast, shook it up well, screwed the cap on, then backed it off just a smidgen to let the gas out. Let it brew for 6 days then tightened the cap up and let the pressure build up, then chucked it in the fridge to halt the fermentation and drank it.

I did this experiment on a 1 L bottle of juice, it was great. One comment I got from one of the people who tasted it that they thought it was a mixture of Mango and champagne.

The sugar content of that juice is 11.7 g/100ml which gives it a strength of about 6%.

You can up the strength with some extra sugar. You could also let it brew out (go flat) and rebottle and prime. It is a good drink.

One of the people to try it was female she loved it. So if you want to impress the girls give it a whirl.[love] [love] [love]

Warren

I hate Mangos so it would taste like cats piss and champagne [crying] , but i have just about cidered everything else except citrus (i make homemade lemonade when my tree is full of lemons and add oranges and limes) and have a ripper Apple Blueberry ready to go [love]

Well its the best "cats piss" I've tasted in a long time' date=' better than the goats stuff![roll']

You Tone ain't a dame.[cool]

But if instead of water i add soda water and Vodka to my lemonade with the oranges and lime in it i tend to win a few dames [love]

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of these mango recipes worked out for those who have posted here? I was thinking of making a mango wheat beer as per Jasond4's suggestion. It appears to be a simple wheat beer recipe (with 500g LDM and 300g Dex) with the addition of mango nectar/mango juice/pulped frozen mango (as others have suggested). My question is, at what stage would you add the mango? Straight to the wort?

You add the mango nectar when you are mixing all the other ingredients together in the FV. with the 2L-4L of boiled water. The idea is it sanitizes the mango nectar. So the answer is "yes" straight into the wort before you add your cold water.[smile]

• 9 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is of interest to me....

I have just recently given a Mango Beer a bit of a go recipe as follows

1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde

1 pkt BE2

4 large tins Mango slices (admiral brand)

10 Kaffir Lime Leaves

120gm peeled and sliced Ginger

O.G 1037

F.G 1006

the Mango, Kaffir and Ginger spent 15min in the pressure cooker before being added to the boiling wort and went into the F.V as well

had a couple of my workmates try a little after a week's bottle conditioning and they all loved it... can't wait to try it again in a months time

• 2 years later...

Archived