Coopers Community

Rolling the red

c44390

OK, what is the accepted method of shifting the sediment from the bottom of a Sparkling ale stubby? I've seen barmen and friends, tip, roll, invert, revert, jiggle, swizzle, jolt, twist, caress, and tap. Is there an etiquette involved? I am not sure what i hate more, having a stubbie of Coopers opened for me before i get the chance to roll it, or somebody making the simple process overly complicated. Thoughts?

Turn it upside down, rotate the bottle a half turn, then turn back up. That's what I reckon you do.

Last time I was in Mildura the bar girl in the Grand asked me if she had to do something funny with that pale ale I ordered, she got bonus service points in my opinion for asking when she wasn't sure.

if they do dish it up untipped, insert index finger in top. Tip over, swirl, and in a single motion remove finger and put mouth over top and suck hard. If you fail to do the remove and suck techniquie, be prepared for a coopers shower as it vooshes everywhere..

Perhaps bar/cellar staff should be taught to stack the Coopers in the fridge upside down to begin with (Note: Fridge manufacturers could also heed this advice to accommodate the "Coopers Red Inverted Storage Principle" - CRISP for short, too), so that way the sediment forms in the neck, then when the bottle is tipped to open it, the sediment dissipates and/or is included in the pour, none should remain as the beer passes through the neck - clean bottle, crisp beer in glass.

Philby,

many people find the sediment in the neck to be off putting if they drink directly from the bottle. This is a common complaint on our customer service hotline. Of course, there is nothing wrong with it, just not easily dislodged.

Thanks Philpy,

my non-creative brain didn't even consider inverting the bottles for storage. i will give this a shot and see whether the sediment in the neck is a hassle or not. thanks for the tip.

"No sober man dances, unless he happens to be mad."- Cicero

This is a common complaint on our customer service hotline.

"Press 6 for yeast sedmementation compaints"

*wuss presses 6

"Thankyou for your call to coopers" "click"

=> customers must learn that if they are to drink coopers PA, SA or other such bottle-brewed beverages, that yeast comes with the territory, and such benefits include a beer that is full of protein and vitamin B, afforded by the yeast.

I'd caution against storing the bottles upside down because the yeast could be difficult to dislodge once it is in the neck of the bottle. Much easier to store the bottles the right way up and roll the bottle gently before opening - or do what I do and just take the top off and start drinking! All the yeast will be stirred up after the second swig. :D

With regard to the customer service phone line, most callers who phone because they are concerned about the "stuff floating around in the beer" are quite happy once I explain the reasons behind the sediment.

Cheers & beers, Frank.

I concur with that, store the bottles upside down and a lot of crap does lodge in the cap.

Besides, some people prefer to leave the sediment behind in the bottle.

Archived