• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hop schedule was:

Centennial 20g @ 30

Amarillo 20g @ 20

Amarillo 20 @ 10

Centennial 10g @ 10

I am looking forward to trying the late addition of centennial. Its the late addition of bacteria/infection I'm not so keen about.

Plus I couldn't a hold of Coopers Amber Malt at the time so I used Briess Sparkling Liquid Amber Malt [bandit]

It comes in a plastic container and I found it harder to get all the malt out of it. The tins are much better.

Just put down a American Amber,

coopers pale LME 1.5 can X2

crystal 60 malt @ 600g

14g Centennial @ 60min

28g mt Hood @ 30min

28g Willamette @ 15min

US-05 yeast

19Lt

OG-1050

IBUs-25-40

I was thinking of use a amber LME can for my next brew along with a pale LME.Keen to see how yours works out.

all has stopped in fermenter and my krausen has gone shiny and looks like plastic.I think it may have got an infection.The turb was racing up and down for most of the week then on saturday all was still? No change and about 2in of shiny looking krausen,so I'm not holding my breath.

atleast my IPA is still good to go - slam that saaz B!

Hi all,

I would like some advice on my proposed American Amber extract attempt in terms of the hop schedule.

Was thinking the following:

Coopers Liquid Amber Malt 1.5kg

1 kg Light Dry Malt

200g Crystal Grain

50g Choc Malt

20g Chinook @ 30 mins

15g Cascade @ 20 mins

15g Cascade @ 5 mins

20g Cascade Dry Hop @ Day 3

Thoughts?

Hey Gang,

I just started drinking my amber ale. I have to say it is my finest brew to date. It is very smooth and malty, with a nice amber colour and a wonderful citris aroma and flavour.[love]

Golden Amber Ale

1.7Kg OS Draught

1/2 can (850g) Canadian Blonde

566g Amber Malt (liquid)

275g Crystal Malt

10g Cascade 15mins

10g Centenial 10mins

10g Cascade dry hop

10g Centenial dry hop

23L water

11.5g US-05 yeast (rehydrated)

176g Dex Bulk Primed

OG 1.046 FG 1.012

ABV 5%

I am quite proud of this one.[cool]

Hi Bill,

It does seem a bit weird to use 1/2 cans but I've found they keep quite well in the frig with a bit of wax paper and an elastic band over the top. I try to use them up in the next brew or so. The way this one turned out I'de think I would make two GAA's back to back.[love]

I maybe able to squeeze 1 can in the fridge but I can see the misses now as I reckon it wouldn't impress her at all [crying] At the moment I need to find room for 7kg hops as I have 6kg on order and have 1kg in the fridge already. I also have about 15 jars of yeast and have almost a kilo of yeast on order.

Surely you have space in Obelix for some of your brewing supplies Bill [rightful]

That's a great idea but my problem is that Obelix isn't on all the time. I turn him off when I am out of beer, to save on power [crying] Big problem is too many beer drinkers here. Nevertheless, I guess I may be able to leave him on for that little extra until some stocks are used up.

Bill' date=' it sounds like you could soon open your own LHBS.[/quote']

lol yeah I guess so... I am stocking up and almost ready to switch to BIAB. I have everything I need now except time. I am hoping I'll get one done on Saturday but only time will tell.

Bill' date=' it sounds like you could soon open your own LHBS.[/quote']

lol yeah I guess so... I am stocking up and almost ready to switch to BIAB. I have everything I need now except time. I am hoping I'll get one done on Saturday but only time will tell.

Working up to BIAB myself, buying a bit of kit here and there. My next beer is extract and cracked grain, so some steeping of the grain and the boiling of the hops required. Doing a little less extract and kit to each brew and eventually should be AG, but it it easy and quick to get a few brew going with a kit and kilo and they are more than drinkable [love] .

Let us know how it all goes.

I am planning on doing small batch AG brews using a drink cooler as a mash tun. Around 10-11 litre batches. And do partials if I want bigger batches.

I want to be able to do it all on the kitchen stove in my 19 litre pot and not a full 25-30 litre boil using a burner.

Also, small batches will allow me to brew more often without ending up with massive amounts of beer stockpiled.

I don't have enough friends to give them away [crying]

I've been looking at that too. And I keep vacillating between BIAB and the cooler as a mash/lauter tun method.

I know that BIAB will be simpler and a little quicker, but I think it is the romanticism of the more "traditional" method that draws me to that.

Anyway, I might do both for the experience.

Archived