Coopers Community

American Amber Ale

Hairy

I am looking at making an American Amber Ale for my next brew. I have never made one before so I am hoping for a few comments on my recipe.

Grand Slamber Ale

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract (liquid)

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract (liquid)

250g Crystal Malt

300g Dextrose

20g Centennial @ 40 min

30g Cascade @ 20 min

30g Cascade @ 10 min

US-05 yeast

23 litres

I am not sure whether to run with Tomas Fawcett Pale Crystal malt or Medium Crystal Malt. Or is Caraamber appropriate for this?

Also, with regards to the hop schedule, I worked out it will be around 35 IBU. But I am not sure whether I should be putting so much Cascade late in the boil and perhaps I should cut back on the Cascade and increase the early Centennial addition.

Any comments?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hairy,

I think your recipe sounds a lot like the brew I put down last night. Yours of course is the full extract version.

I think you will achieve the amber colour you are looking for with out having to go with anything too dark with your choice of grains. Even light Crystal grains will add redness to the colour (I think). As far as the hops schedule I think you are right on the money for my tastes. I really like the Cascade as a late addition.

I think It's all an experiment until you have made something once then you can tweek it to your tastes.

This is what I put down.

Golden Amber Ale

1.7Kg OS Draught

1/2 can (850g) Canadian Blonde

566g Amber Malt (liquid)

275g Crystal Malt (steeped for 60mins)

10g Cascade 15mins

10g Centenial 10mins

10g Cascade dry hop

10g Centenial dry hop

23L water

11.5g US-05 yeast (rehydrated)

OG 1.046

It turned out a lttle darker than i was intending but who cares.

Chad

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will leave it as is and run with the Light Crystal.

It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to put this one down. I've got a Centenarillo Ale chugging away at the moment and then I'm off for a couple weeks.

Anyway, once it is done & dusted (and tasted) I will report back and let you all know how it went.

Yep, I'm a Centenarillo virgin. This is my first one.

Its been on my to do list for a while and after the rave reviews on here and AHB, I thought I should give it a go. I haven't heard one bad review of it.

I'm looking forward to popping the cherry on this one. [tongue]

I have been thinking for a while now to try somthing similar to this, all extract amber ale. A question about malt - could you just have 2 tins of the liquid amber malt instead of 1 pale and 1 amber plus some other bits and pieces? Or would this not be on par for flavour?

I considered two cans of amber extract but thought the same thing, which is why I went for one Light, one Amber, plus a little bit of crystal.

I figured using the light extract would give it a better balance.

Thanks - I thought so.

I am thinking of a lighter american amber % wise - I think this would come out about 4%.

What about this:

1.5 kg Coopers Liquid Amber

1kg Light Dry Malt

200g Crystal

30g Chinook @30 mins

20g Cascade @20 min

20g Cascade @ 10 mins

Thoughts on the hop schedule?

Paul, what is the volume of your brew?

The recipe looks pretty good and will be around the 4% mark.

In terms of bitterness, it should come out around 40-45 IBU (taking a bit of a guess of the AA%).

This may be slightly high for the style but the sweetness of the amber malt may counter it. That is, even though the IBU may be slightly high, due to the sweet malt, the perceived bitterness may not be high.

Not sure if that made any sense[unsure]

Anyway, there is only one real way to find out and that is to make it and drink it.

Paul, 30g of Chinook for 30 min will it not give too much bitternes?

I tend to shy away from Chinook, used 10 g -1/2 hour in a brew last year, too,too bitter.

Some more experienced than me might say i'm up myself, but thats life.

Warren

Warren, what was the style of beer that you used the chinook in?

If it was a really light/pale ale then it may be bitter. But it might be ok for an amber ale.

Paul, let us know which way you go and how it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally put down my Amber ale but I changed the hops from the OP to be Centennial & Amarillo. I also added a late addition of Centennial.

I had no cascade left and heaps of amarillo so I re-jigged it.

The only problem; as I was trying to get the last of the liquid malt out of the tin, I dropped the whole tin in the FV and had to fish it out [crying]

Oh well, here's hoping for an infection free beer.

Archived