Sign in to follow this  
jsracin

Ginger Beer Question

Hi all

Im new to brewing and have just brewed my first batch of ginger beer, it has been brewing for 7 days now and still bubbling away, is this normal to take this long ? or should i take a reading of its SG and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Take a SG reading Jeff. Then take another one a day later. If both readings are the same (they should be by now)...bottle off.

Thanks Paul

I took a reading last nite and i'm about to take one tonite and hopefully it should be right to bottle.

Just another quick question if i could, why is the ginger beer still bubbling away after 7 days and the batch of beer i made first off stopped bubbling after about 5 days, the temperature of the beer was a couple of degrees more that was the only difference.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier...just returned from holidays.

Your previous brew may have been fermenting while the airlock was showing no signs of activity...a perfect seal is not always achieved with plastic 30l fermenters and CO2 may leak out rather than bubble through the airlock. Never trust your airlock as an indicator of fermentation activity.

A mate of mone suggested smearing a bit of petroleum gel on the rubber seal to assist in the sealing . After a bit of use and regular cleaning it does get a bit hard and this makes it easier to tighten .

If you are fixed on getting "that perfect seal", a water based lubricant would be better. Petroleum based lubricants tend to reduce the life of the o' ring.

.....err yer you might be right . Upon reflection it may well have been water based . I'll check with him at our next sampling session. :oops:

I worked in a bakery while studying at uni. We used to Use KY as a lubricant on rubber seals and the like :wink: