Coopers Community

21st Amendment-Watermelon Wheat Beer

Martyn

Watermelon Wheat Beer

Hey all, got the book '1001 Beers to try before you die' for Christmas and have been working my through it, reading not drinking (only 980ish to go!)

Anyway, I saw this and was intrigued. Have emailled them to get any hints/tips on how to try and re-create but no reply yet (it is Christmas).

Anyone got any ideas on a recipe?

Obviously Thomas Cooper's Wheat beer tin of goo, Magnum hops (quantity? boiled/dry hopped?), wheat beer/ale yeast, malt? but how would you second ferment with the watermelon puree? Bulk prime it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Martyn

I googled Watermelon Wheat and found this:

http://outofkey.com/beer/brewing/watermelon-wheat-recipe/

The trick I think is to rack the beer onto the watermelon after primary fermentation is complete - that way alcohol, acidity, CO2 etc will make it more difficult for any wild yeast or bacteria to take hold.

it is often suggested to freeze the fruit first as this will shock any wild yeast, but also break down the cell walls of the fruit.

Randy Mosher writes about brewing with fruit in his excellent book 'Radical Brewing'.

Paul

Nice one Paul thanks for that.

I was going to go for hallertau hops as a sub for the Magnum (have never seen them in the LHBS). Ended up getting Simco, the LHBS guy said this was a good sub with the same/similar IBU.

The guy from 21A got back to me and told me basically what to do. Magnum hops were for bittering only not aroma, so not bothered on that front.

The recipe I have gone for is-

TC Wheat beer,

TC Wheat malt extract,

Simco hops 20grams@60min boil, 10grams@5min boil then steep for 30mins. Have boiled the hops in half the wheat malt extract diluted with 3 litres of water.

Yeast-15g of Brew Cellar wheat beer.

Couldn't get the one I was after which was American hefweizen yeast.

End of 1st ferment will drop in to secondary fermenter onto the watermelon for 2nd ferment and leave. Will prob be fermenting from start to finish for about 2 weeks in total.

Freezing sounds like a good idea if it helps the left over yeast eat up the sugars.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Archived