Coopers Community

winter ale

alexs2

Was in canada earlier this year and drank a lot of the granville island winter ale. Its a smooth dark ale with a gentle vanilla and spice finish. Was going to try and replicate this using the coopers old spice recipe and add vanilla paste. has any one done something similar or have a suggestion

I brewed a dark ale this year that included half a vanilla bean split and soaked in about 50mL of vodka for 2 weeks. Provided a definite hint of vanilla aroma and some taste. If you want it to be more prominent I would use a whole bean. Go easy though as it can be a very dominant if let off the leash.

• 3 years later...

As winter is settling into (parts of) Australia I figured its about time to make up a winter warmer. I miss GIB Winter Ale from back in Canada so I've been scouring the web for a clone recipe. There seem to be a couple out there on some North American forums, but not many reviews of how the recipes turned out.

TASTING NOTES

Caramel malt aromas dominated by cocoa and vanilla. Complex layers of vanilla, bready malts, toffee, cocoa bean and a slight nuttiness. Moderate hop bitterness gives balance so that sweeter flavours do not overwhelm. Here's the link to the website

I'm planning on doing a partial mash for this one, and this is what I've cobbled together.

Light LME - 1.5 kg

Light DME - 0.7 kg

Pale Malt - 1.3 kg

Chocolate Malt - 300g

Light Crystal - 70g

CaraPils - 70g

Saaz 20g @ 60

Willamette 20g @ 60

Spalt 10g @ 5

23L

US05

OG 1.045 FG 1.011 IBU 19.2 EBC 35.2

I was going to add a couple vanilla beans in the secondary, but I've also read that GIB uses "white chocolate during their filtration process" but I'm not set up to do anything like that. I was thinking of adding some white chocolate extract if I can find some, but may just stick with the vanilla.

I guess I don't have any specific questions but if anyone wants to provide their 2 cents worth I'm happy to hear it.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is considered a true beer or a novelty beer. Yet, looking at the recipe it looks to be both do-able and a real winter warmer. Given the extended aging peiod, it won't be ready for drinking this winter, but I have it scheduled for making early spring so it's ready for winter 2015.

It's called Port Barrel-Aged Belgian Brown Ale, from a book called Extreme Brewing (page 125). Fortunately a port barrel isn't needed. Many recipes in there though, sound way over the top, but it has one using Kiwi Fruit that piqued my interest. Maybe one day.

Archived