Coopers Community

Porter recipe?

SteveL

Steve, I am trying to use up a can of Coopers Dark ME and was hopeing that I could use it in the Porter, but alas I see you used DME, Bugger.

What am I to do with this can, any sujestions, without being rude!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

I put this one down the other day. At first I wasn't sure what style it might be until I did some reading on beer style guidelines. Turns out this one fits nicely into the "robust porter" style.

Campfire Porter

1.7Kg OS Stout

1.7Kg English Bitter

200g Smoked Malt

200g Dextrose

23L water

14g Cooper's Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

OG 1.054

It's a simple one and I would say it would lend itself to variation.

Chad

• 4 weeks later...
Steve, am thinking of making your Porter recipe. do you still reckon its A1.

Warren

Sure do Warren, it's a ripper...I realise everyone's tastes are different but I can't recommend it highly enough. [love]

Hi Steve

This brew is on my to do list and I just wondered what was the type of DME that you used and what was the brewlength?

Cheers

Steve, am thinking of making your Porter recipe. do you still reckon its A1.

Warren

Sure do Warren, it's a ripper...I realise everyone's tastes are different but I can't recommend it highly enough. [love]

Hi Steve

This brew is on my to do list and I just wondered what was the type of DME that you used and what was the brewlength?

Cheers

I used 1kg of dry light malt, made to 21 litres. Not sure about brewlength question? This one should take about a week to ferment and then I leave in fermenter for another week before bottling.

Hope this helps,

cheers

Many thanks for the info Steve!

Up here in the UK, the term 'Brewlength' relates to how many litres a brew is made up to. [happy]

As I haven't tried the English Bitter yet, I plan to mix up the EB tin and DME to about 10L in one FV, then transfer 5L of the wort into another FV.

I will then top one up to 11.5L and brew as English Bitter with the kit yeast.

I will then make the other 5L up to 10.5L to your Porter recipe, scaling the grains down to suit.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Many thanks for the info Steve!

Up here in the UK, the term 'Brewlength' relates to how many litres a brew is made up to. [happy]

As I haven't tried the English Bitter yet, I plan to mix up the EB tin and DME to about 10L in one FV, then transfer 5L of the wort into another FV.

I will then top one up to 11.5L and brew as English Bitter with the kit yeast.

I will then make the other 5L up to 10.5L to your Porter recipe, scaling the grains down to suit.

Cheers

Thought I should post a little update on these brews.

Unfortunately the English Bitter is a bit of let down IMO, pretty tasteless and boring!

The EB Porter on the other hand is a superb brew at nearly 10 weeks in the bottle. Lovely coffee notes and slightly smokey, very smooth now too. I just wish that I had Portered the whole tin of EB.

Yummy Porter

ebporter.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi guys.

Normally I would apologise for digging up an old thread, but not in this case. Some fantastic info talked about & great links contained within it about Porter style recipes etc.

Since some of us are now looking at putting down some darker brews to be ready for the AUS winter period, I was wondering what you guys thought of the following kit based recipe...

Thomas Coopers English Bitter 1.7kg

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg

Dark Dry Malt Powder 500gms

Wheat Malt Powder 150gms

Chocolate Malt grain 150gms

CaraPils grain 150gms

Fuggles 15gms @ 15mins

Fuggles 15gms @ 5 mins

Fuggles 12gms Dry Hopped

Cascade 12gms Dry Hopped

Oak Chips 30gms sprinkled prior to pitching yeast

Nottingham yeast pitched @ between 20-22\xb0C (Will I need 2 pkts?)

Primary fermented @ 20\xb0C for 2 weeks.

OG = 1.057 - FG = 1.015

IBU = 35.3 - EBC = 47.6

Bottled ABV = 5.9%

I might even throw a deseeded vanilla bean into the primary ferment too. [biggrin]

My main concern with the recipe as listed is what flavours the EB kit produces, & whether that will blend ok with the Fuggles? I haven't yet used the EB tin. [innocent]

What do you think guys?

All thoughts welcomed. [cool]

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

I've been toying around with a Porter recipe these days. I have been sampling some of my older stocks thes days. I highlight has been my "Campfire Porter" as posted above in this thread. Over a year in the bottle It is very rich, dark and smokey.

I have used the EB kit serveral times but as I look through my notes it would seem that I've never added Fuggles to the kit. I have uesd EKG, N. Brewer's, Challeger.

One thing to consider with your recipe is that the EB tin has Styrian Golding as a late (flavouring)hop. This in combination with all that late hop action you have going on might be a bit much. I might back this back a bit.[unsure]

The last brew I put down using the EB was a PM that might be approaching a porter style minus the Choc. malt. I've sampled it and it is very malty and dark with a good (mild) hop bitterness.

1.7Kg E. Bitter

1.0Kg Pale Ale Malt

566g LME (amber)

300g Crystal 40L

200g Crystal 120L

5g EKG 4.4% (15mins), (5mins)

2L starter W1098 pitched @ 21C, brewed @ 18C

120g Dex (bulk prime)

Hi Skookum.

I did see your "Campfire Porter" recipe a little earlier in the thread. My approach to making a good porter, is to build the malt flavour profile up towards stout-like flavours. In theory, I would think it is much harder to bring your flavours down from a stout kit base, so I am either going to use the Dark Ale kit or the EB. I'm leaning towards the EB. [cool]

Thanks for enlightening me to the hop used in the EB kit. Styrian Golding actually is Fuggle. [rightful] So I'll use the Fuggle. I do agree with you that I should drop some of the additions. I'll keep the 15min Fuggle addition & the dry hop of the Cascade & drop the other two.

As I still have 2/3 of a bag of those wood chips left over from your IPA recipe, a portion of those are definitely going to be hurled into the great black abyss when I throw down this porter recipe next week. [biggrin]

Thanks for the input. [cool]

Anthony.

Thomas Coopers English Bitter 1.7kg

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg

Dark Dry Malt Powder 500gms

Wheat Malt Powder 150gms

Chocolate Malt grain 150gms

CaraPils grain 150gms

Fuggles 15gms @ 15mins

Fuggles 15gms @ 5 mins

Fuggles 12gms Dry Hopped

Cascade 12gms Dry Hopped

Oak Chips 30gms sprinkled prior to pitching yeast YUM YUM

Nottingham yeast pitched @ between 20-22\xb0C (Will I need 2 pkts?) - if you're doing to 23 litres (which I think you are?) Mr. Malty says 14 grams required

I might even throw a deseeded vanilla bean into the primary ferment too. Yum and Interesting

If you want to try a really nice Porter, check this one out. It's so good. Has about 3000 different grains [lol] It's meant to be like the original porters - made up of every other beer.

Or, this one is quite interesting. A Smoked Oaked Porter. They use peat smoked malt and age it in barrels too. Something I might try one day. You can get peat smoked malt from some of the HBS.

I've never had an American Porter - is that what yours will be? With the cascade dry hopped will it overpower the malt flavour too much?

It would probably overpower the vanilla, which should be very slight.

Enjoy

My main concern with the recipe as listed is what flavours the EB kit produces' date=' & whether that will blend ok with the Fuggles? I haven't yet used the EB tin. [innocent']

What do you think guys?

All thoughts welcomed. [cool]

Anthony.

I have used fuggles many times with the EB can and they go together brilliantly...

Haven't used fuggles in a porter though, but can't see any reason why not!

cheers

So after a long thoughtful design session and a good look at my stock of ingredients this is the porter I came up with.

4.Kg Pale ale malt

350g Chocolate malt

200g Crystal 120L

5og Peated (smoked) malt

50g Roasted Barley

20g Hallertau 5.3% (90mins First wort), 5g (40minsboil, 20minsboil)

5g N. Brewer 8.6% (90mins First wort)

Wyeast 1450 (deny's fav.)

Irish moss

21L water

OG 1.050 FG 1.012 IBU 28 SRM 28

mashed @ 70C/158F

Gents

Unless you are going to do an AG version of a Porter I wouldn't worry about hops as this brew is about the grains and I would back SteveL's EB Porter to knock the socks of any other. Even then I believe it would stand up to an AG brew. I know that they say a fair AG brew is better than a very good kits and bits brew but I would say, having brewed it twice and received many rave reviews, that the EB Porter is a Bloody Awesome Brew.

Steve Many Thanks for posting this recipe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Another bump for this topic! I have two brews under my belt (an APA and a kit&bits-IPA), and would like to try SteveL's porter recipe, since it seems to be a hit with those who've tried it so far. I have a few questions though - SteveL or anyone else;

1) How long do you steep the grains and at what temperature?

2) How long do you boil the wort?

Thanks in advance! [cool]

Welcome to the Forum HenningG!

Steep the grains for at least 20 minutes but I do it for 30 minutes. Aim for mid to late 60s for temperature. I usually heat the water to 70 degrees and the temp will drop a little when you add the grains. Maintaining a constant temp isn't important for steeping so it doesn't matter if the temp drops a little over time.

Once you remove the grains then boil the wort for 15 minutes. You could get away with a shorter boil (5-10 minutes) but 15 minutes should ensure any nasties are killed.

Welcome to the Forum HenningG!

Steep the grains for at least 20 minutes but I do it for 30 minutes. Aim for mid to late 60s for temperature. I usually heat the water to 70 degrees and the temp will drop a little when you add the grains. Maintaining a constant temp isn't important for steeping so it doesn't matter if the temp drops a little over time.

Once you remove the grains then boil the wort for 15 minutes. You could get away with a shorter boil (5-10 minutes) but 15 minutes should ensure any nasties are killed.

Cheers! [smile] I know all-grain brewers usually boil for an hour, but that's mostly for adding bittering hops and a more concentrated wort I presume?

Do you keep the stove on to keep the temperature from falling too much when steeping, or do you keep the pot warm in some other way?

Cheers - that looks like an excellent resource for further porter experiments! [smile]

Cheers! [smile] I know all-grain brewers usually boil for an hour, but that's mostly for adding bittering hops and a more concentrated wort I presume?

Do you keep the stove on to keep the temperature from falling too much when steeping, or do you keep the pot warm in some other way?

I used to take it off the het and put the lid on. I never worried too much about the temp as I figured it would stay in my temp range for at least 15 minutes. But you can wrap the pot in a towel to retain some heat.

And AGers also boil for 60 minutes to drive off the DMS precursors from the base malt. No requirement to do that with spec grain.

Archived