Coopers Community

Porter recipe?

SteveL

I love English Bitter. And stout. Is a porter somewhere in between?

Would welcome any critique on this planned porter recipe (from another website):

Coopers English Bitter tin

300g Choc malt

100g Roast Barley

200g Medium Crystal

1kg of DME (light/dark?? wasn't specified)

Yeast US05

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to revisit this, but have a follow-up question about the method to best utilise the above mentioned grains...

I crush the grains with rolling pin on greased paper, but then?

Place them into a big pot (loose? in hopsack/chux?), boil for 10-15 mins, take off heat, let steep for 30-60 mins with lid on, then strain into fermenter?

This is what I have done previously (loose in pot) when adding grains but obviously have limited experience doing this.

And the more I read, the more conflicting methods appear and confusion sets in...perhaps I should stop reading [unsure]

It's best not to boil the grain. It will bring out tannins and astringent stuff you just don't want.

I steep at around 70 deg (actually, I pour in water from the kettle a while after it has boiled) then leave it for 30 mins or so, then remove the grain, and boil the remaining liquid.

I'm sure there are many ways to do it successfully, but I think avoiding boiling the grain is a good start.

• 5 months later...

Found this somewhere.

James Squire Porter

- Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter

1.7kg Beer Concentrate - 1kg Morgans Chocolate Malt \u2013

2 x 12g of Fuggles Finishing Hops (Standard Method)

What do ya reckon?

Weggl

Anybody tries Eastern Suburbs Brewing for malt supplies? They have a wide range of dried malts other than light.

Try this link.

http://www.esbrewing.com.au/brewing-sugars/breiss-dried-malt-extracts.html

Weggl

Yup! They supply many LHBS and have a great range at reasonable prices. I buy their DME & LME all the time as well as grain (cheap).

The Malts you linked to, Briess, are a well respected North American import packed by ESB.

Keep in mind that they are blends of different grains, they can eliminate the need for specialty grains, eg the Sparkling Amber has Crystal 60 and the Golden Light has Carapils (GREAT for head retention). They are great for adjusting color in a recipe, too.

My only criticism is that they don't express the percentages of the blended malts for all their products.

Their website, Briess Products

has excellent information and recommendations.

Also, glad to see ESB have updated their antique website, finally! [rightful]

Muddy, lost the post where you sent me the link to Dave's regarding chocolate malt, thanks for it anyway, but the only place Dave keeps choclate malt is on the web site, another trip for nothing.

Warren

No, he only stocks grain. As I said his stock only exists on the web site.

He should remove it, but as you said his web site is bloody hopeless.

What I have learnt from another shop is that Morgans no longer make the chocolate extract.

Warren

Was thinking of doing a Dark Ale with Chocolate. Such as.

Can Coopers Dark ALE

Chocolate grain infusion pack

500g Dark DME

500g Light DME

400 Dex

23 L

Any thoughts on hops? Was thinking maybe 20g Fuggles 10 min.

I thought this may give a Porter style, what do ya reckon

• 1 month later...

for anyone interested, have done this porter recipe a few times with slight variation and all produced an absolute treat.

nice hit of roasted barley, wonderful choc grain flavours, smoothness from crystal on the base of the lovely EB tin.

latest recipe was a bit of a tweak (yet to be tasted):

1 EB tin/300g chocolate grain/250 medium crystal grain/100g roasted barley/200g dark brown sugar/1kg LDM/21g coopers yeast/made to 21 litres/og 1055/fg 1014

cheers

steve

I had a Holgate Porter yesterday; I think it was called The Temptress.

It had a hit of vanilla in it and it was sensational.

If you want to tweak your porter recipe then vanilla might be a nice option.

• 1 month later...
Steve, am thinking of making your Porter recipe. do you still reckon its A1.

Warren

Sure do Warren, it's a ripper...I realise everyone's tastes are different but I can't recommend it highly enough. [love]

Archived