Coopers Community

Boston Patriot Ale

JonathanM3

Not sure about using trademarked names and such... Has anyone used coopers kits / products to make a clone of Boston Ale from S.A.?

I've seen extract / grain recipes, I just was wondering if there was a way to come close using a Cooper's kit. Also, I think this go 'round I'll try to stay away from simple sugars and go for something all extract.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Its definitely worth a taste, especially if you find their lager appealing, but are an ale guy [lol]

My wife even likes it more than the lager, and she doesn't drink more than a sip of most beers. Her dislike of beer makes for some good brewery tastings for me [happy] I recently had a 6 pack of Long Trail Brewing Co. (Vermont, USA) Double Bag, which they bill as a "Stickebier" or double alt. She just about spit that one out [pinched] I thoroughly enjoyed it, a style I quite enjoyed.. sort of an uber-Dortmunder brewed as an ale. It also has the most hilarious label I've seen in a long time. It depicts the back of two dairy cows with prominent udders.

Anyways - here's the details from the Boston Brewing site -

Flavor: Bright, citrus aromas and earthy flavors from the traditional English ale hops and a full bodied caramel malt sweetness.

Color: Red to amber

Original Gravity: 13.2\xb0 Plato

Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.1%ABV \u2013 4%ABW

Calories/12 oz.: 177

Malt Variety: Two-row Harrington, Metcalfe, and Copeland pale malts, and Caramel 60

Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops, East Kent Goldings, and Fuggles

ONe thing about yeast, which I know from reading your posts is important - Most recipes I've found call for White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast (I wonder why [biggrin] ) or Wyeast American Ale II. I think the Coopers kit yeast might work just fine though because of its English characteristics.

They also mentioned something about it being "krausened" and then dry hopped cold like a lager (although I would imagine I could come close with normal dry hopping).. It is quite a delicious session beer.

Enough fun with smileys for one day

Archived