Coopers Community

Crown Ambassador

Matty H

Wow $100 for a bottle of beer has anyone ever tried it? Probly tastes like V.B PB2 could ya just duck out grab a bottle and throw up a extract copy for us all [ninja] hehe just jokes. Its probly like that cat poo coffee maybe its sheep poo grain

I had a bottle a couple of years back, before I got into home brewing. It was a stunner, awesome.

But forgive me for not being able to provide detailed tasting notes as back then it was just a ripper beer and I didn't fully understand/appreciate the complexities.

(And no, I didn't pay for it)

One up on me Steve. [pinched] [pouty] [crying]

I'll ask around the brewery and see if I can winkle some information out of anyone here - the Master Brewers (and others in the production team) may have tasted it.

i should do a story on the latest release and see if anything follows in the mail!! will then gladly drop it over to you paul - only fitting for the all the help you have given me (and countless others!) i had the 2008 vintage and gave my 2009 away to a mate for his 40th - he hasn't invited me over to help him drink it yet[annoyed]

here's my story from last july about it:

ADELAIDE, July 31 AAP - It comes in a champagne-style bottle, is best drunk from a wine glass, and costs $70 a bottle.

It's in the Queen's cellar; and the maker says it has traces of vanilla and curry leaf, with hints of honey and passionfruit.

Sound like one of those pompous descriptions for a luxury wine?

It's not - it's an Aussie beer.

While the Fosters Group spends a mint on aiming some of their beers squarely at the blue-collar brigade, they're also cornering a new market: luxury lagers.

Despite tough economic times, the group is convinced success will follow arguably the country's poshest beer, the Crown Ambassador Reserve Lager.

The brewer released the first vintage - yes, the beer comes in a yearly vintage - last year. It sold out within weeks.

The 2009 vintage will be released on Monday with Foster's expecting the limited edition lager to be again snapped up within weeks.

Some beers cost more: Sydney's boutique brewer Red Oak releases its signature beer, the Framboise Froment reserve, for around $75 for a 250ml bottle.

That drop and Crown's ultra-premium lager fall well short of the world's most expensive beer, an honour claimed by the Carlsberg Group.

The Denmark-based brewer last year produced 600 bottles of the Carlsberg No.1 Vintage, which retailed at the equivalent of $465 for a half-litre bottle.

The Crown Ambassador Reserve lager comes in a 750ml bottle is shaped like a champagne bottle, with each of the 6000 limited edition bottles is individually wax-sealed and numbered.

But you can't get number one bottle of either vintage: both have been sent to the Queen and have found a place in the royal cellars.

Crown Ambassador Reserve Lager master brewer John Cozens oversees the making of the beer, which can be cellared for a decade.

When approached by his bosses, Mr Cozens considered the task a dream job.

``The idea was born to have a crack at something that is a bit special,'' he said.

``A lot of the time we're working on a lot of different beers but we often don't have the freedom - we are working in the confines of a brand or within somebody else's idea about what the style should be.

``But this time, credit to the Crown guys, they gave us a free hand to play.

``Just once in a while, maybe every 10 years, you get a chance to do something like this and it's a real joy.

``We had the freedom to play and use some things we don't normally get to use in the skills and techniques so that was what we did.''

Mr Cozens said there was a growing top end beer market in Australia which will welcome the latest reserve lager, which has 10 per cent alcohol content.

``I think people are looking for a bit of brightness in all the (economic) gloom and hopefully we are providing that,'' he said.

``The way it sold out last year suggests it will be in great demand this year.

``There is genuine interest in that top end of the market, and even in these times people are prepared to part with their money for something special.

``There is probably a bit of a gap at that end of the beer market in Australia, a few of these things have been done around the world but not many here.''

(insert copyright AAP here ;)

damn...someone beat me to the yarn [crying] [pinched]

SYDNEY, July 29 AAP - At $90 a bottle, it's one of Australia's priciest beers. It comes packaged like champagne and has a 10-year ageing potential.

And if you're prepared to fork out for it, you'll be in good company. Even the Queen has a bottle in her cellar.

The third vintage of Foster's Crown Ambassador Reserve was launched in Sydney on Wednesday night in the latest move to promote super-premium Australian beer.

"We wanted to try and create some head room in (the Australian premium beer sector) by raising the bar, essentially for Australian domestic beers, and we sensed there was an opportunity to do that with Crown," said brewer John Cozens.

"(This beer) creates something that really has no rivals. We didn't try and copy a style. We didn't try to do something that already existed. We just tried to try to show what we could do given a free hand."

Cozens said the reserve lager is like a wine in many respects. It is brewed once a year and is meticulously hand-crafted from hop selection through to the brewing process.

"We've stayed true to the DNA of Crown but we've overlaid with the Galaxy hop and used some additional flavours for complexity as well as pushing up the alcohol (to 10 per cent) to a place where (the beer) will have keeping qualities.

"We're aiming to give the beer a drinking life of up 10 years if it's stored reasonably and I suppose that's the caveat."

The reserve lager is a limited release of only 7000 bottles.

"We know that it's not something that people are going to sit down and get through a slab of," he said.

"I think we're pitching it to a variety of people who are interested in beer and who might be intrigued as to what a $90 bottle can deliver. We're also pitching to people who might consider it as an alternative to wine."

Each 750ml bottle of Crown Ambassador Reserve is individually wax-sealed, numbered and presented in a case. The 2010 vintage will be released on August 2.

Archived