Coopers Community

APA

andrewk5

for me APA stands for- Andrews Pale Ale [biggrin] [lol] [biggrin] [lol] [biggrin] [lol] [biggrin]

so thats what im gunna call my next batch when i put it down in a day or 2, i was gunna do a toucan for my intro to hops but gunna try this one first, tell me what you think of this idea ......keep in mind im after a bit of a kick with big flavour

( i have all the ingrediants but suggestions are welcome )

Coopers Pale Ale can

Coopers Light malt extract can

1 kg Dex

East Kent Goldings - 25g @ 15min & 15g @ 5min

2 pks of Safale US-05 yeast

made to 23 L

i dont want hops for bitter just flavour / armoa......i will have 10g of EKG left over should i use this or will it make it be to over powering

according to the Calc it will end up being

OG 1058

FG 1012

IBU 26.0

EBC 6.0

ABV 6.5% thats with bottle prime

so what do ppl think?

i was worried about loosing the kick and the flavour so thats why i used the LME, with 1k of dex. is there anything i can do that whould let me keep the kick around 6.5% like i said im gunna boil EKG 25g @ 15 min 15g @ 5 min ( i have 10g left over )

I'm no expert Andrew but I find recipes overly reliant on simple sugars such as dextrose can taste a bit thin and the flavour is off the mark in ways that PB2 would be better in describing. I am an avid believer that dextrose and simple sugars have their place in brewing but you have to use it in moderation.

I work to a rule suggested by PB2 which recommends keeping simple sugar additions at or below 20% of the total fermentables.

Excessive simple sugars tend to produce more green apple, cidery characters (acetaldehyde). This will dissipate with bottle age - months rather than weeks.

A rule of thumb for making beer that will drink well early - keep simple sugars at or below 10% of the total fermentables (ignoring priming sugar).

I work to a rule suggested by PB2 which recommends keeping simple sugar additions at or below 20% of the total fermentables.

A rule of thumb for making beer that will drink well early - keep simple sugars at or below 10% of the total fermentables (ignoring priming sugar).

[lol] It looks like I need to update my PB2 rules [biggrin] ...the last one was cut and pasted though [bandit]

thx for the tips muddy & paul, i think ill run with the 300g suggested by muddy, this will fit in with the 10% rule from paul, think im gunna have to try a toucan soon to get the strong beer im looking for

Archived