Coopers Community

Tooheys New

Squishy

1 handful of yellow sand (for colour)

2 cups urine

make up to 23L

[lol] [lol]

But seriously just brew stuff you like and tell her you are trying to clone it.. Then get her to taste it and when she does not like it say you will try something different next time..

You will then have to drink the so called "attempted" clone...[biggrin]

It's a pity then that the original series lager comes with the Microbrew kit. I have two cans of it and no idea what do with them. A toucan mix with something else? A try at the Irish Ale with lager base?

Any (polite) suggestions welcomed.

Yeah it is a shame something like the pale ale or even a voucher to redeem the supermarket kit of your choice would be better. Maybe Cooper's have no idea what to do with them so they are giving them away[bandit]

I tend to have a blind allegiance to the Cooper's brand except for 2 things - Original Series Lager and the (un)functionality of this website.

...and yet, Original Series Lager is the highest selling beer kit in the world...[joyful]

You could mix the 2 kits to 25 litres, ferment at 21C and dry hop it with your favourite variety.

as for this website, I like to think we are getting there, albeit slowly [whistling

OT - Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter + BE2, fermented at 15 - 18C might go okay as a Tooheys New.

Thanks PB2, I might give that a go. With kit yeast, lager yeast or Coopers commercial yeast?[cool]

The first beers I had on tap at a pub were Coopers Scotch and Sparkling Ales, followed by Guinness, so maybe that is why the lager doesn't appeal [happy]

...and yet' date=' Original Series Lager is the highest selling beer kit in the world...[joyful']

[biggrin] I could be wrong but I think VB is Australia's most popular commercial beer so the masses aren't always right.

as for this website, I like to think we are getting there, albeit slowly [whistling

I hope so, I guess we can't see the changes that are happening behind the scenes - just the ongoing user problems...I am talking about the technical problems not the content btw.

LAUGHIN MY BUTT OFF HERE!

2 things:

first of all, muddy your a very funny man, i love reading your crap after a bad day at work!!

second, im with ya paul, im warming to the site......keep working on it guys, just needs to be more user friendly!

still lol at muddy

matt

It's a pity then that the original series lager comes with the Microbrew kit. I have two cans of it and no idea what do with them. A toucan mix with something else? A try at the Irish Ale with lager base?

Any (polite) suggestions welcomed.

how about boiling the goo for 15-20 minutes in 2L of water to drive off any thing you may not like (not sure what exactly as I didn't get a coopers kit and haven't used the original lager), but it will definitely eliminate any sweet/cidery undertones and make up a 2can job with a real ale or even a can of amber malt extract, maybe some grains of choice and/or just add 0.5-1kg of dextrose with some SAFlager yeast and come up with something you can call a bock (apparently bocks are low in hops activity, but add your favourite hops too, maybe some hersbrucker, even as a late dry addition?)and impress/confuse your friends?

The Original Series Lager beer kit is made from Malted Barley, Water and Hops - prior to working with Coopers it was always my "GO TO" beer kit as the base for recipes or as a hopped malt extract addition. Australian Pale Ale is now my "GO TO" beer kit only because it's slightly lower in hop level and has a small amount malted wheat in the grist. [biggrin]

Squishy, what methods have you tried for cooling the FV?

I feel for you Squishy! [pinched] Hubbie is not at all impressed with all my fancy experiments and just wants me to clone his beloved VB! So, guys, please no laughing or smarty-pants comments, but I was thinking of maybe Draught with BE1 and a big (25gm?)late addition of POR, seeing as how that's apparently what's used in all the megaswills here. Paul - do you think that might get kinda close to what I call "manure beer" (not that I've tasted manure, but VB sorta tastes like that smells... if that makes any sense!) [lol] Doesn't Tooheys New have that same taste?

Sadly not at the house we are renting..... The shed keeps a fairly constant temp in the low 20s

Squishy - I bought a couple of big collapsible esky things from Bunnings - $16 each from memory. They are yellow with silver lining and no lid and fit a fermenter nicely with a couple of frozen Coke bottles around them. Stays a nice constant 16-18 deg in the middle of summer with 3 Coke bottles - you can vary the number to reach any temp. you want! [biggrin]

Thirsty started a thread about a VB recipe.

I remember the homebrew sales manager, at the time, telling me he wanted the Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter beer kit to be like VB. I said, "no worries" and immediately set about trying to develop something like a MB because that was my beer of choice when I drank this type of bevvie in my early 20's. [ninja]

Final result analyses very close to MB but as for the taste - some say it's just like it while others say it's nothing like it. [whistling

I haven't tried the Aussie Bitter yet - I'll give it a go. But won't a whole kg of malt and no hop additions make it too sweet?

Paul - what hops are used in the concentrate for bittering - POR?

• 8 years later...
On 7/21/2010 at 3:55 AM, PB2 said:

OT - Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter + BE2, fermented at 15 - 18C might go okay as a Tooheys New.

I'm guessing this variety has been discontinued as I can't see it in the online store. So what's the closest thing to it? Want to make a New clone for my son.

Archived